Thunderbolt 3 and Schiit Wyrd Impressions
May 22, 2018 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JRey

New Head-Fier
Setup = Laptop > D10 Dac > Jotunheim > HD600

Hi everyone, I thought this would be of interest to my TB3 users out there, specifically the games with eGPU.

On my laptop, I utilize the TB3 connect with an eGPU (GTX 1080 ti). Whenever I plugged in the eGPU connector to my laptop, my dac started generating an audible hum on my amp at the 12 o’clock point. Unplugging the eGPU removes the hum and the noise was gone, but with a slight audible hum on high gain and max volume.
I purchased a Furman PST 8D to try and clean up the power going into my devices. Slightly helped, but not enough to warrant the cost. Purchased a Wyrd, set it up in the chain...
Boom... hum is gone on low gain and is only audible on high gain starting at 12 o’clock.

For my gamers out there using a eGPU and possible having noise issues, the Wyrd works.

I have a Topping D50 arriving today and it’s externally powered. I’ll see how that fairs in the chain and if the Wyrd is necessary.

May 22, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 2
My Topping D50 came in today and I decided to see what the electrical noise was like with and without TB3/eGPU plugged in and without the Wyrd.
Without the eGPU, the amp was nice and quiet. As soon as I plug in the eGPU, the Jot and Lyr 3 had an audible hum on low gain and near max volume. On high gain, The hum was audible starting at the 10 o'clock position, getting fairly loud at max volume.
Plugging in the Wyrd removed the hum on low gain, and reduced the amplitude on high gain.
Out of curiosity, I plugged in the Cavalli CTH without using the Wyrd to see what noise was like. Interestingly, there was absolutely no noise at max volume, even with the eGPU plugged in. I used the Cavalli LCX as well, and there was no audible hum until the amp was set to high gain and near max volume. Even at that level, it was BARELY noticeable. I didn't even bother plugging in the Wyrd at this point because the hum was that low.
It seems like these Schiit amps need extra help cleaning the DAC signal or the transformer built in isn't very good at cleaning up the power.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back