Jul 7, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
No puppets?

Game over man, Game over!
tongue.gif

-Ed

Which brings us back to the unviersal question of: "Paxton or Pullman?"

I'm a Paxton fan. I know others who are Pullman supporters. But, for my money, you can't beat his work as Chet in Weird Science!

Jul 7, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 35
I absolutely love Thunderbirds, but this movie seems to me...unneeded. For crying out loud, it doesn't even have puppets! There are some things you just don't mess with, and Thunderbirds is one of them! Stop ruining my childhood heroes!
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 35
I always felt sorry for the guy stuck in Thunderbird 5 on his own, perhaps he had bad BO, and Brains looks suspiciously similar to a young Elvis Costello.

I used to have a Thunderbird 4 for bathtime fun (oo er missus)

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
... it looks like they got the wrong uniforms on the guys.

I was the only guy who laughed in the theatre during X-Men, the when Scott says, "What did you expect us to wear, Yellow Spandex?"

Yeah, I can almost still hear the Thundebird 'actors' voices.

The movie that catered to loyal fans' memories best is probably "Lost in Space" where the old spaceship is seen going up into space only to find out that it is being used as a launch vehicle.

Wasn't "Penelope" in Thunderbirds, or is that another show? I always thought that her driving around in a Benz was so chic.

I wish they would bring back Saturdays like they used to have when we were kids - Flicka, Sky King, Thunderbirds, Chiller Theatre, the Champions, the Oriental ninja in white who could never fall into a trap door (he's on DVD now), Bowery Boys, Mighty Mouse, Heckle & Jeckyl, ...

what was the name of that show where a British guy always drove around in a hovercar?

The last time I had this nostalgic Staurday feeling was when I would watch 'Space 1999'. The closest kids now have of this feeling is probably 'Hercules,' 'Xena,' and 'The Lost World'.

They don't make Saturdays like they used to.

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn

Wasn't "Penelope" in Thunderbirds, or is that another show? I always thought that her driving around in a Benz was so chic.

what was the name of that show where a British guy always drove around in a hovercar?

They don't make Saturdays like they used to.

Lady Penelope was the London agent for IR and she drove a pink Rolls Royce, this was a british series after all
biggrin.gif

I think you are referring to Supercar ? which was an earlier venture along with Fireball XL5 and Stingray unless you mean one of the early Dr Whos where the massively camp Jon Pertwee had a "WhoMobile" ?

Jul 10, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

I think you are referring to Supercar ? which was an earlier venture along with Fireball XL5 and Stingray unless you mean one of the early Dr Whos where the massively camp Jon Pertwee had a "WhoMobile" ?

Whew. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who remembered Thunderbird's predecessors. You must remember the original, non-politically correct Noddy as well. I've only watched part of one episode of the new Noddy remake which was done in Canada, in recent years.

Jul 11, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Whew. I was hoping I wasn't the only one who remembered Thunderbird's predecessors. You must remember the original, non-politically correct Noddy as well. I've only watched part of one episode of the new Noddy remake which was done in Canada, in recent years.

Um not when they were first shown but I saw a few when they were repeated, we repeat lots of stuff on British TV, mind you we currently watch Dr Who on PBS every saturday night, how sad is that ?

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Um not when they were first shown but I saw a few when they were repeated, we repeat lots of stuff on British TV, mind you we currently watch Dr Who on PBS every saturday night, how sad is that ?

Dr.Who is too damn cool not to watch it ! As is Monty Python and Faulty towers , my favorite Brit TV shows of all time .OK,maybe I Claudius needs to be in there but that was a mini series and not a show.

T-birds : I want to see the strings dammit !

It is just not the same without the strings and jerky movements ! I also liked the strings on the (forget the name , Diver Dan maybe ?) on the evil Barracuda !
I may start a "bring the strings back to television " petition.

Screw cleaning up the language in prime time .

"I WANT MY STRING TV" (sung to the dire straights "i want my MTV" tune)
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Dr.Who is too damn cool not to watch it ! As is Monty Python and Faulty towers , my favorite Brit TV shows of all time .OK,maybe I Claudius needs to be in there but that was a mini series and not a show.

T-birds : I want to see the strings dammit !

It is just not the same without the strings and jerky movements ! I also liked the strings on the (forget the name , Diver Dan maybe ?) on the evil Barracuda !
I may start a "bring the strings back to television " petition.

Monty Python looks dated to me but I still always laugh at Fawlty Towers.

The funniest thing on British TV lately is "Coupling".

As for Dr Who we are currently on the Coloi Baker stories and he was
the worst doctor by some margin

Jul 11, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Monty Python looks dated to me

Hell,i am dated man ! And i still laugh out loud at the skits.

And speaking of dated ,i was watching the James bond movie "The World Is Not Enough" the other night and man !

John cleese looks OLD !

I on the other hand am like Dorian Gray..................
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #29 of 35
I wonder what brilliant movie executive was thinking, "remember that show with the cheesy puppets and toys that all the kids loved? Lets make yet another movie with cheesy actors and CGI instead".

Actors that read off cards is no match for dubbed head bobbing puppets.

Jul 12, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
T-birds : I want to see the strings, dammit !

biggrin.gif
LOL!

If you watch the first year of Superman (George Reeve) you'll see what happens when the strings were yanked. They finally decided to go with the gym flatform.

hciman77,

Yes! Supercar. Oh, joy, the memories. Fireball XL5 and Stingray. Oh, joy.

I WISH my local PBS was still running Dr. Who. I have to keep rewatching all my VHS tapes when I want a fix. Nicola. droool. She was defintely nice eye candy.

Best scene in a Dr. Who episode: When "Gold" was mentioned and a robot started to twitch. The early ones were cool - you got to see the stagehands scampering to get off camera.
biggrin.gif
(The Aztec episode, The Glass Sea episode... ) To be fair, there's a STTNG episode where Data, Troi and Miles take over the ship. Riker runs down a corridor and there's a guy (in the background) in a white shirt and tie walking around ...
biggrin.gif
Who was that masked man?

Spiderman2 is now at $250MM gross. (MM is Roman Numerals for 1K x 1K. It's a bad habit I picked up while at Sony).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back