Thrustmaster T510's... To Buy or Not to Buy?
Jul 6, 2005 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xSnowmaNx

New Head-Fier
http://gear.ign.com/articles/583/583114p1.html

I'm really interested in this item because I would LOVE to have some surround sound on my systems, except I can't afford to have a real surround sound setup (noise is the main issue). Does this thing actually reporduce the sound well? I don't really care about the headphones that come with the package, but just how well the surround sound is reproduced on the headphones. I have already sampled some of the Dolby Headphone tech on their website and I was amazed (and I heard that's more of an estimation of the real deal)!

I come here to you all knowing Head-Fiers for some assistance in this matter. Does this device deliver on its promises with its Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, and Dolby Headphone technologies? Is it worth the money? Or is this a no go, a gimmick product that doesn't do these technologies any justice? If so, is there another similar device on the market?

I MUST KNOW THE ANSWERRRR!!!
blink.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 4
I've tried to like the t510 but the 5.1 surround sounds little more than a wider version of stereo. The dolby headphone effect sounds ok with average headphones and stereo, with surround it's much worse. The weaknesses you hear in stereo are more easily heard in 5.1. I mean it's not awful, but the tonal balance of everything is worse, and it smudges over most detail. It's also not accurate in it's positioning front to back (I can only hear sounds to the tips of my ears, no sound appears to come from behind or have much difference in height) and it's also temperamental.
When I switch on my xbox I have to wait for all the fmvs to stop playing at the start and the main menu to load up, then switch it on, then adjust the volume after it's locked, then hope it doesn't go off for almost no reason during loading screens. It does my head in! The decoder is also tiny, the headphones included with it are poor and there's no dh room setting you an adjust. The final nail in the coffin is the price, if you were to make a diy DH decoder it'd cost peanuts, I paid £100 for the thrustmaster t510, a 5.1 speaker system for the pc or games system could cost much less than that and have the same sound quality as decent tv speakers, with more bass.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Sounds like they aren't worth it, eh?

Well, I can't really go with any thing else than something that can give me Dolby Headphone, other than just plain stereo. Is there any other similar device that can do what the T510 claims it does?

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 4
I use a Dolby Headphone setup for gaming (Xbox and Sountstorm-capable PC), and I love it. I can't say if the T510 is any good or not, but I love my Pioneer SE-DIR800C paired with my HD595s. This is obviously a much more expensive investment than the T510, of course, but I'm quite pleased with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back