Throwdown: Denon AH-D7000 vs Ultrasone PRO 900
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickyfoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input, all. I bought the 7000s from an authorized dealer with a good return policy---they should be here next Tuesday. Then the real throwdown begins...

Great choice! Enjoy!
happy_face1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 46
Good for you! Enjoy them.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 46
God bless the UPS man---he just showed up with my glossy new prize. I listened to them for just a few minutes before I set them to burn in. They sound EXACTLY how I imagined they would---a headphone first for me.

I'm putting together a playlist while the D7Ks are cooking, and then they're going head-to-head with my PRO 900s. Stay tuned...

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 46
Im really curious about this also, as i can get Pro 900's for a great price, but really interested in the Denons.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 46
LOL. Have a bit more patience, guys. I'm going to let the Denons burn for one more night so it's a fair fight. I'm not sure whether to post my comparison here or start a new thread.

You get one little teaser for the review: based on what I've heard so far, it's not the one-sided battle I thought it would be...

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickyfoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. Have a bit more patience, guys. I'm going to let the Denons burn for one more night so it's a fair fight. I'm not sure whether to post my comparison here or start a new thread.

You get one little teaser for the review: based on what I've heard so far, it's not the one-sided battle I thought it would be...

What amping are using? For me it was in no way a fair fight as the Denon's absolutely trounced the PRO900s.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amping are using? For me it was in no way a fair fight as the Denon's absolutely trounced the PRO900s.

A ninja black KICAS Caliente with a decent number of hours on it. It's the best amp I've heard under $500.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 46
PRO900 need amplifier to sound best. WA3 and Phonitor are on top of the list. Edition8 sounds same with any amp or without amp, with good source. PRO900 is more like speakers then D7000, much better bass and dynamics. Edition8 is more balanced then Pro900.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PRO900 need amplifier to sound best. WA3 and Phonitor are on top of the list. Edition8 sounds same with any amp or without amp, with good source. PRO900 is more like speakers then D7000 much better bass and dynamics. Edition8 is more ballanced then Pro900.

The D7000s are the closest to my home theater sound with my sub woofer that I've ever heard and offer a much better representation than the Pro900s.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the Pro900s, they were just in a different (lower) league than the D7000s and Ed8s.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D7000s are the closest to my home theater sound with my sub woofer that I've ever heard and offer a much better representation than the Pro900s.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the Pro900s, they were just in a different (lower) league than the D7000s and Ed8s.

You might be right. D2000, D5000 and German Maestro sounded pretty close to Pro900. D7000 was more airy, light to me.
Pro900 are one of the best headphones for the money (under $400) and offer good isolation and comfort when watching movies. Not so good for classical. I listened to Denons at meets only .

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PRO900 need amplifier to sound best. WA3 and Phonitor are on top of the list. Edition8 sounds same with any amp or without amp, with good source. PRO900 is more like speakers then D7000, much better bass and dynamics. Edition8 is more balanced then Pro900.

Agree 90 % though I am comparing to markl D5000 and not D7000
smily_headphones1.gif

I don´t agree about the ED 8 sounding the same. Even though I do think they more take up the character of different amps. So that they are relatively easy to drive I do agree upon. I wonder if they are not fine tuned for ipods though. I just love listening to it straight from my ipod touch. Get some really nice warmth from that setup that is kind of addicting. Definiatly more serious on my Headphone Pro though so it depends on my mood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back