Throat mics?
Nov 20, 2009 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
Want to get a new mic for gaming and general Skype usage. Been looking at something like this: Triumph Throat Mic Headset for cell phones
Anyone have any experiences that they can share with these types of throat mics? They look pretty interesting, as they will only transmit your own voice, and nothing in the background.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by smokey616 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.

this is the most negative assessment of audio gear I can possibly imagine.

Does it make you sound like this guy?

281x211.jpg

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Interesting, from what I can dig up about throat mics, paintballers and motorcycle riders love them.

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

HEYY!! that's what i'm trained in as well.. we have special mics as well, but instead of pressing them against the throat, we press it against the top of the skull

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is the most negative assessment of audio gear I can possibly imagine.

Does it make you sound like this guy?

281x211.jpg

I have no idea what that guy sounds like, but I'm thinking even less intelligible since that guy seemingly works for a radio station.

As I said, it's possible that other throat mics work fine - just the one I've used didn't.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I have no idea what that guy sounds like, but I'm thinking even less intelligible since that guy seemingly works for a radio station.

As I said, it's possible that other throat mics work fine - just the one I've used didn't.

That would be Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog.

Dailymotion - Triumph The Insult Comic Dog - Star Wars - a Funny video

And I've heard some people recommend a Zalman throat mic for gaming? I'll try to dig up the thread I saw that in, but I'm pretty sure it was in the headphone forum.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 12
I bought a cheap one off of eBay intended for use with XBox Live chat. Long story short, it did not work at all. Either a wiring issue, or more likely an impedence issue. They are usually meant for use with PTT or VOX systems with radios, not cell phones.

I'd be interested in one that was specifically meant for cell phone use, and not just an adapted radio one.

-Ed

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back