three questions about e-mu 1212m
May 27, 2007 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

drk

Head-Fier
first of all - hello to everyone since i'm new here
smily_headphones1.gif

now, i'm considering to buy e-mu 1212m sound card but have three questions that i have not found the answers to:

1. despite searching for pictures of the card(s) and specs i'm not sure if what i see at the end of the PCI card are two 4-pin connectors. now, i'm wondering which connectors they are and if one of them is aux-in, since i really need that for my tv-tuner to put it's sound through this soundcard.

2. the connector (0202 if i'm not mistaken) card, i can not see in the pictures if it actually goes into ANOTHER PCI slot, or if you can just somehow mount it to the back of your case on one of its openings

3. is it likely that e-mu will produce windows vista drivers for this card at some point? i have searched their site to maybe ask them, but their contact e-mail is closed down.

May 28, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 12
2. the daughter card (i think it should be 1010 card) connects to the main card through a cable that resembles a floppy cable. However, only the main card utilizes ONE PCI slot. The daughter card requires a PCI opening at the back of your computer casing but you do not need to slot it into any PCI slots on your motherboard. It is similar to the mounting of extension USB ports on most motherboards.

3. So far there are NO Vista drivers for any EMU cards. I'm a Vista user since last month and i'd been following up with their development. Months ago they announced that Vista BETA drivers will be out middle of April, then they released a new date during middle of April - Middle of May. And on 16th May 2007 they changed the date on their driver site to Middle of June.

Well honestly, i'm in the middle of upgrading my source and i had canceled any EMU cards as my future upgrades. Their driver support is just PLAIN SUX!

May 29, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 12
thank you very much yrh
smily_headphones1.gif
. i'm satisfied to hear both of the things you've said - first that the daughter card doesn't use the actual PCI slot and second that they're actually PLANNING on building vista drivers. because i just hope they do it and they work good when they're out. i'm really interested in 1212, and that emu line is one of the very few available quality pci sound cards here where i live (apart from the creative gaming cards). that's why i'm asking these questions.

and vista drivers seem to be problem for everyone for some reason haha...and not just the sound cards people.

i'm still wondering about that first question of mine....that's very important to me. actually regarding that i noticed that 0404 has similar connectors on the back as the 1212, can you tell me which those connectors are since i see that's the card you have?

oh, and which source do you plan upgrading to? Thanks mate
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! Those are just audio connectors to your optical drives (CD/DVD ROMs). My 0404 has the same connectors too but they are more or less useless nowadays.

yes, well there's TWO types of those connectors - ones are for output, the other ones are for input...if those are audio connectors to optical drives, that's the exact type i need, only with INPUT. that's what i was asking all the time, i need one of those with input so i can plug in my tv-tuner card.

are those both connectors for input, or one input and one output?

also, can i control those inputs separately in the card's driver? (i'm asking on 0404 since you have one)

May 30, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 12
huh? there are 2 types? afaik, those connectors are only inputs from optical drives to soundcard. And nope, i don't have any controls on those inputs.

Does your tv tuner card has an analogue output? if it does, perhaps you can wire the analogue output to the 1212m's analogue input? And in case you're unaware of, 1212m has a Version 2 and it does not come with any firewire port and those input connectors for optical drives.

May 30, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
huh? there are 2 types? afaik, those connectors are only inputs from optical drives to soundcard. And nope, i don't have any controls on those inputs.

Does your tv tuner card has an analogue output? if it does, perhaps you can wire the analogue output to the 1212m's analogue input? And in case you're unaware of, 1212m has a Version 2 and it does not come with any firewire port and those input connectors for optical drives.

oh, that's very informative, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

well the thing is, that tv tuner (leadtek winfast 2000xp) has output through the little cable that connects two ports that are just like the ones i showed on that pic. one end of the cable is on the tv-tuner board in it's output connector of that type, and the other end is in the motherboard's aux-in sound part (since i use onboard sound still). both of those connectors look just like those optical drive connectors. so....i have no clue how i could wire it to the 1212m's analogue input.

May 30, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 12
i don't know whether your tv tuner card will work with the 1212m or not, as there are no options to choose the rear optical drive audio connectors. i think it should work even without the audio connectors connected.

however, to be safe try to get the 1212m v1 for the audio connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back