three is better than one ?
Oct 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rock N Roll 93

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone
bigsmile_face.gif

What are the difference in quality of sound between a three driver monitors and one drive monitors, three drivers is better than one ?
confused.gif

Thanks,Carlo

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 5
The more drivers add better extention, higher resolution, imaging, wider soundstage, more punchy bass, instrument sepration ect. The single base BA IEMs can't produce all of these qualities together to make sound better.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I have to disagree, now not all single driver IEM's can do the things you mention but theres plenty that can like the e-Q5, Heaven IV, and thoughs are just some BA's I've heard not to mention dynamic drivers like the RE262 & RE272, EX1000, FX700.  More doesn't always mean better but it is easier for multi driver IEM's to give you a large soundstage, better imaging, separation and so on but theres a lot of single driver sets than are equally as good imo.

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Hello everyone
bigsmile_face.gif

What are the difference in quality of sound between a three driver monitors and one drive monitors, three drivers is better than one ?
confused.gif

Thanks,Carlo

Generally speaking you are correct but it takes keen engineering to make sure all the drivers work in conjunction with each other.  If that is not done correctly, a single driver can still trump a multi-driver.  But as years pass, designers seem to be getting better and better at making BA drivers work together.  Having said that, most people could probably never hear whether a multi-driver was crossed-over properly or not.

To me UE900 and W4 just continue to prove that (at least) single BA drivers are becoming more and more deficient and obsolete.
Difference between ER4 and W4 is laughable even though both are regarded as high end audiophiles earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back