Three IEMs from 3 different price ranges... Help!
May 11, 2016 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AudioAficionado

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I am a college student operating on a relatively more lenient budget, but either way, I will most likely save up for one pair of good IEMs. I'm debating between the following three pairs of IEMs, found for the prices listed below:

- Astrotec AX-60 ($200 USD)
- FLC 8S ($355 USD)
- Audiofly AF180 ($499 USD)

Unfortunately, my tastes are fairly broad in terms of music. I listen to a lot of the following genres:

- Electronic (EDM, Progressive House, "Chillstep")
- Classical / Contemporary (Soundtrack and Movies Scores, Classical for studying)
- Pop / Indie Pop / Indie Rock (Saint Motel, Twenty One Pilots, Chromeo, Troye Sivan, Bastille, Jason Mraz, Rixton, The Cinema)
- Songs with Acoustic influences

I have owned these pieces of audio equipment in the past, and my opinions are listed below:

Over-Ear
- Sony MDR-7520 (YES!)
- V-Moda Crossfade M-100 (Meh, too genre-oriented)
- Sennheiser HD448 (Yes, esp. for classical music & vocals)
- Final Audio Design Sonorous / Pandora Hope VI (Yes, but I craved even more detail-retrieval)
- Audio-Technica M50x (Meh, a little more jack-of-all-trades than M-100s)
- AKG K553 Pro (Meh, wanted more detail retrieval, highs rolled off, overall highs and mids were just along for the ride)
- M-Audio HDH-50 (Liked for neutral-ish sound signature)

IEMs
- Echobox Finder X1 (YES!)
- V-Moda Zn (Yes, but sound signature a little too laid back; bass done well though)
- MEElectronics M6 PRO (Nope, mids super recessed)
- Brainwavz M2 (Nope, bass-centric, way too warm, smooth beyond comparison, CRAVED MICRO-DETAIL THAT I COULDN'T HAVE)
- Klipsch Promedia (Nope, bass overpowered everything)
- Logitech UE500 (YES! Vocals were sometimes a little off, but highs surprisingly didn't roll off too fast)
- Monster iSport Livestrong (Meh)
- JVC HAFX67 "Air Cushion" (Nope, bass too strong)
- Xiaomi Piston III (Nope, bass too strong, V-shaped)

Overall, I'm kind of looking for a balanced IEM in the hi-fi realm that bring exceptional micro-detail retrieval, but isn't as sibilant as, say, the B&O H6's nor the Finder X1's (with treble filtre; I was perfectly fine with the reference filtres, however). I've read many good things in the $300-$500 price range, but can't seem to decide on something that fits my specific tastes. I do not like particularly dark sound signatures (read: Brainwavz M2) nor overly smooth, overly laid-back characteristics (V-Moda Zn). (For these reasons, I love my bright-sounding, seemingly clinical Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 over my Creative Soundblaster X7 LE, which has a warmer sound sig.)

Thank you beforehand for your input~ anything is welcome!

May 11, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 5
For the price range you're looking at and from what I gather about your likes and dislikes I would seriously consider the Dunu 2000J. Look over the reviews from other users to get a feel for the characteristics of the IEM. I've to a lots if headphones over the past few years and as far as bang for your buck and SQ the 2000J is tough to beat.

May 11, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Hello pukapants,

I'm afraid I forgot to mention one thing: form factor. I prefer a less intrusive, smaller IEM as opposed to, say the Sony H3's or the Dunu 2000J's you've recommended. Even though their sound quality is amazing, I'm looking for something that has infallible ergonomics and rock-solid durability, with preferable removable cables. Obviously the 2000J's are built like tanks, but many take issue with the original 2000's ergonomics (and the body of the 2000J only slimmed down marginally, which doesn't change TOO much in terms of comfort issues related to the shape of the housing) and I'm pretty sure they don't have removable cables.

Thank you very much for the suggestion nonetheless!
:3

May 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe try looking at the Q-Jays. Hard to find a suitable iem that can do everything your looking for. It has a small form factor, removable cable, and balanced sound signature.They also lowered the price recently so they are at a much more competitive price now. Haven't tried any of the iems you have listed but heard great things about the FLC8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back