Three headphones only
May 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 52
Let's see.. from what I've heard (so far) it would be:

Sennheiser HD650- does everything pretty much beautifully to me, if the choice were only one these would be it.

AKG K501- I know that I still need to hear the K701 but I pretty much loved everything about this headphone especially the way it makes everything sound so light and airy. Comfort is world-class in my opinion as well. HD650s don't even come close to the comfort of these.

Sennheiser PX100- Still gives you that wonderfully smooth Sennheiser sound in a portable, foldable nice looking package.

May 18, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 52
For me it would be more on varied use than genres:

A) IEM, open and closed/portable
or if the IEM could do double duty
B) IEM, dynamic and electrostatic

If this is money is no object...
Orpheus system, R10 and I need to do some more IEM testing.

May 18, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 52
AKG K340 - I rely on the magical mid/high of this can. It's vocals are the best I've ever heard... My first electrostats cans.

Sennheiser HD600 w/SAA Equinox cable - Opposite of K340, great on mid/low. Great bass authority and visceral impact. Great for almost all genre.

Sennheiser HD580 w/SAA Equinox cable - Vocal are very transparant (naked, detailed), with good deep bass (deeper than HD600).

With those three and a good tube amp, I don't need another cans.
Especially when I'm too poor to buy high-end Stax with tube transformer...
biggrin.gif

No tube no good for me...
SS are just too metalic and harsh for me.

May 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 52
Are we being realistic? Or like, 3 dream headphones? I'll do both. Each list will feature a portable, an open full-sized, and closed full-sized. The realistic list first:

1. Portable: ESW9. I currently have a pair, so that's cool.
2. Open full-sized: Grado RS1. I love my SR325i (though I must say it's less hi-fi than K601), and would love to go up to the Grado woodies.
3. Closed full-sized: Lawton Audio 2000. I currently have D2000s and I like them about as much as K601. I figure the Lawton Audio mod will make them brilliant.

The dream list:
1. Portable: ESW10 JPN. I know...no creativity. I don't like IEMs.
2. Open full-sized: K1000? Never heard it, but the legends are tempting.
3. Closed full-sized: Lawton Audio 7000? If it's closed, it's gotta be Denon. R10 is ugly...

May 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 52
Grado GS-1000, though I will settle with the upcoming HF-2.
YUIN PK1 or OK1. Currently own the OK2.
Maybe a Stax.

Never again will I own another pair of closed back headphones. Sounds like crap compared to open air.

May 18, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 52
1. HD580/600: Can't go wrong with them.
2. Grado SR325i: Just for Rock/Acoustic.
3. AD900: Pretty much covers everything.

Of course there are bunch of other headphones that I want to try but these are the top 3 headphones out of the ones that I had/tried so far.

May 18, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado HP2

Stax Omega II

Senn Orpheus

lol, most expensive and desireable headphones.

lol i can't believe we typed almost the same thing.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back