Three desert island albums
Jul 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 13

Let's be honest, though. We'd all go insane with only three albums.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Tough one. I think if anybody were made to listen to only three albums their entire life they'd inevitably become bored with them and will actually start to despise them, haha.

I thought about picking some challenging music something that I felt would hold my interest for a long time or reveal things to me more and more but I just decided to go with my three favorite albums through the years:

1. Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker
2. Midlake- The Trials of Van Occupanther
3. The Decemberists- The Crane Wife

I always seem to come back to these every so often and enjoy them.

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 13
My three would be:
1) Pink Floyd "The Wall"
2) Roxy Music "Avalon"
3) Soundtrack "The Falcon and the Snowman"

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Pinback "Blue Screen Life"

What a nice record, your other picks are too, but that one from Pinback doesn't get enough love.

Right now, this very minute, I'll go with these ...

Mercury Rev [1998] Deserter's Songs
Califone [2003] Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
Nina Nastasia [2002] The Blackened Air

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 13
  What a nice record, your other picks are too, but that one from Pinback doesn't get enough love.

Right now, this very minute, I'll go with these ...

Mercury Rev [1998] Deserter's Songs
Califone [2003] Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
Nina Nastasia [2002] The Blackened Air

You´re 100% right, Pinback may be one of the most underrated bands of all time, or atleast this time. The Shins are another band worth mentioning.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11 of 13

You´re 100% right, Pinback may be one of the most underrated bands of all time, or atleast this time. The Shins are another band worth mentioning.

Yea, that was a great time in the early 2000s. Those first couple Shins records are very good. Listening right now to the incredible Augie March debut, Sunset Studies from about the same time. Definitely worth tracking down for a listen, if not familiar. Has a bit of the droney sound I love of Yo La Tengo (and if you don't know them, you do need "Electr-O-Pura" and "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One"), but more of the Beatles melodica, very poetic lyrics too. Not quite as rhythm-centric as the Pinback record, but really love the sound.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 13

Yea, that was a great time in the early 2000s. Those first couple Shins records are very good. Listening right now to the incredible Augie March debut, Sunset Studies from about the same time. Definitely worth tracking down for a listen, if not familiar. Has a bit of the droney sound I love of Yo La Tengo (and if you don't know them, you do need "Electr-O-Pura" and "I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One"), but more of the Beatles melodica, very poetic lyrics too. Not quite as rhythm-centric as the Pinback record, but really love the sound.

Thanky you very much for these recommendations. Finally some good Indie/Alternative again! I will give them a listen!
smily_headphones1.gif

After all this thread could ve a very seful source for new music!

Speaking of Beatles-inspired acts from the near future: Listen to Temples-Sun Structures and Tame Impala-Lonerism.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 13

Thanky you very much for these recommendations. Finally some good Indie/Alternative again! I will give them a listen!
smily_headphones1.gif

After all this thread could ve a very seful source for new music!

Speaking of Beatles-inspired acts from the near future: Listen to Temples-Sun Structures and Tame Impala-Lonerism.

Yea, those are good too, though of course more recent. Another quick 5 big favorites from the early 2000s in kind of the same style ...

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Manitoba - Up In Flames (had to change name to Caribou later)
Electrelane - The Power Out
Wrens - Meadowlands
Mirah - Advisory Committee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back