Thread for the starter in headphone audiophiledom, WTB good headphones and amp READ!
Mar 31, 2012 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

telecaster

1000+ Head-Fier
Just saying to everyone out there, searching for the best and cheapest combo out there!
So you got no full size headphone and no amp and want to invest in a desktop combo HP+amp setup.

Ok first don't buy a 1000$ pair of headphones. You will regret it because alone it won't do much!

BUDGET 750$?????
Buy new:

HD 650 Sennheiser and
Squeezebox touch

Plug in your cans in the headphone output, play FLAC file, and be in heaven!!!!! If you feel like you want to upgrade, buy an amp ONLY LATER!!!
Try this config first!

For this kind of money it's incredibly good!

Listenning right now for convenience Lennon's album Plastic Ono Band through the output headphone jack from the SBTOUCH with my HD650. And guess what?
I got shiver down my spine, got goosebumps and almost cried!
SHIVER!!!!!!

Don't sink too much money and try this setup first, you will be rewarded with audiophile quality and have to sink a lot more money to see a significant sound difference!

For sure this thread is for starter only, I personnaly have a full size amp, it's La Figaro 339 but I am waiting for its arrival, in the meantime, I could have save some money if I really was on a budget.

BTW the SBTOUCH through my digital active speaker (mines are Meridian DSP3100 and DSP3100HC) is world class!

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 5

Honestly, if you're on a low budget, buying the HD650's brand new is just plain stupid.
You can get them for about $250-$300 used, if you're working with $750, that gives you $350 to spend on your source (which is the most important) and amp.
And as glitched has mentioned, not everyone wants the sound of the HD650.
As for the squeezebox, it's not even that good compared to other source components you could spend it on.
The way you react to the music (shivers, goosebumps) is more about your mind than the sound you're hearing, although both play a part.
As for the amp, how can you say you have it if you're still waiting for it to arrive?
I mean I've probably sounded mean here. If you're happy with the sound, that's what's important. If you're trying to help people achieve the happiness you're experiencing, it's a nice thought, but in reality, this is an impractical way of going about it.
Just enjoy your music.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 5
Thought you could buy the HD650 for 350$ new out there! Plain stupid thanks for this world class headphone and people who love them! It's good headphone and many people love them till today better than orthos and hd 800.

Oh and please enlightment me, what can you buy for 300$ comparing to SBTOUCH? maybe a RSA amp lol or Ibasso many thanks pal?!

buy new, get peace of mind, a receipt if your house burn down, and a warranty maybe?

PS: I know good sound, only my speakers set cost 9000$ retail..
PS²: The speakers/amp and headphone/amp is way more important than source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back