Thoughts regarding music vs equipment
Jan 3, 2007 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
One of the more common bits of advice given here is to stop lusting after gear (ha, right
wink.gif
), cure upgradeitis, and get into buying lots of music. Sounds good, seems like it goes back to why we're in this hobby to begin with (enjoying music), so I did.

Maybe I went about it the wrong way, but I ended up nearly doubling my CD collection over the past year or so...and for me, it was such a mistake. My habit is to take one artist, one album, or something along those lines, and listen it to death- I won't listen to something twice in a row, but I only have a few CDs in rotation at any given time. I like getting to know a recording really well, and I'll get cravings or kicks for certain sounds that stick for a while. Heck, I survived middle school basically only with 4 CDs; yes, that's a long time ago and I've moved past it, but it's a sign.

Just during Christmas I ended up clearing out about a quarter of my collection; just now I'm listening to an album for the first time that I bought three months ago (and I've had many listening opportunities). Part of it is developing my taste, but I won't even buy further into what I know I like- the LOTR set, only 3 CDs, will occupy me for a month and a half more at least until I stop considering it new, for example.

On the other hand, changing equipment has allowed me to enjoy what I know in new ways. I'll be starting a buy-and-possibly
wink.gif
-sell rotation of different headphones to find different sounds I may like, as I've really only known Sennheiser. Tuberolling has me in its clutches, and I'll keep going on with that. Next up after these is a bit of a source and cable exploration (the latter mostly to see if I find any differences at all, but hey, its fun). OK, this might sound normal, but I'm also going to do my best NOT to buy any new music in this period. Maybe I'm just a non-cultured gearhead in denial
biggrin.gif
, but I honestly think pursuing the equipment for a while will bring me more musical enjoyment, and allow me to further know my music from different perspectives.

Hey, if you can't stand listening to the same CD in the same week and love hearing new sounds, that's great. I guess I'm just starting to notice that aside from different genre and sound preferences, we can go about how we listen to music in vastly different ways, too.

/ramble
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 2
i agree with this. both halves.

there is a LOT of music that you just listen to. i have about 600 albums, and i regularly listen to probably 10.

on the other side, a diferent headphone/amp/cable/source/power suply changes how the music sounds, so you wind up hearing difernt parts of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back