Thoughts on USB Amps?
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ShamelessBullet

New Head-Fier
Fairly new to audio here, but I've seen some interesting information on Audio coming from a PC via USB (AMP/DAC plugged into the computer via USB). Just curious on opinions and facts on this, is there really a big difference in audio when it comes to this? I'm planning on getting a AMP and DAC and was wondering if its a good idea to steer clear from Amps/Dacs that are plugged into the computer via usb instead of optical or RCA.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Usb have its problems and its very expensive to fully fix it. You can read reviews of ultimate usb solver Sotm usb Ultra and see how it needs good usb cables, great power supply and it still not fully cures all problems cause its missing Galvanic Isolation which is less Important than Sotm reclocker ofcoure. Every company will say you that their usb implementation is perfect, but they say it to appeal fanboy base and for marketing purposes. You can always try Usb to coaxial converter like Schiit Eitr to solver all usb problems if Pc is your source, just get decent cable and its all.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 10
Depends on the implementation. The Topping D50 handles USB well. Schiit DACs let all the noise through. Most people recommend the Belkin Gold line for their build quality. Many tests have shown no measurable difference between the cheapest and most expensive USB cables, so watch out for people and companies who would tell you otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Depends on the implementation. The Topping D50 handles USB well. Schiit DACs let all the noise through. Most people recommend the Belkin Gold line for their build quality. Many tests have shown no measurable difference between the cheapest and most expensive USB cables, so watch out for people and companies who would tell you otherwise.

I was thinking of going with the Topping DX3 Pro, I was planning on going with a nice USB cable though more so for looks.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 10

Does it matter if you use USB-C or the regular USB type? I use a Mac > Modi 3 > rHead > HD6XX and if I don’t listen to any music the headphones stay totally silent with no background noises..

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Fairly new to audio here, but I've seen some interesting information on Audio coming from a PC via USB (AMP/DAC plugged into the computer via USB). Just curious on opinions and facts on this, is there really a big difference in audio when it comes to this? I'm planning on getting a AMP and DAC and was wondering if its a good idea to steer clear from Amps/Dacs that are plugged into the computer via usb instead of optical or RCA.

USB has higher bandwidth than SPDIF so if you plan on getting into DSD or high res that's the way to go.

Downside is that USB is limited to 5V/500mA, or in the case of dual USB power DAC-HPamps, a secondary 5V/1000mA input that takes power from a USB charger. This is still voltage limited, so even a powerful one like the one Schiit makes still drops in output at high impedance loads.

Best use USB only for signal or at worst, powering the USB receiver and DAC chip (my Meier only uses USB power on the receiver chip and to power the LED indicator), and leave the amplifier if not also the DAC output stage to an actual power supply in the unit that takes power from the wall or a good battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back