Thoughts on upcomming Sony PSP Vita
Feb 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 42

Quote:
I've got one on preorder.  It should be pretty out of control.  

Well of course you do.  It would be easier to list the things you don't buy. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 42
considering it's a game running in a emulator running in an emulator its running smoothly :D (but then why not?it's years old now ;D )

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #21 of 42
PSP titles to use on your Vita: here

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #22 of 42
I was consider buying the Vita but I forgot how Sony has their own way to do annoying things. The Vita has it's own type of memory card instead of the commonly used SD cards, just for example. So it's going to be expensive for anything you buy for the Vita.

Here is some more info from the Wiki:  Playstation Vita

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
I just poked around the sony vita page and still have some questions, maybe someone knows the answers...

-Internal storage
-card slot?  if so micro/mini SD or their awful memory stick?

No internal storage
Two card slots - one for game cards and one for memory cards, both are proprietary, and the memory cards are damn expensive.  I bought a 16G one for 5500yen which is retail price, that's more than USD 70.  Price are holding very strong for the memory cards because the highest capacity ones (32G and 16G) are always short in stock for the last month in Japan.

The sound is.... not that good.  I haven't tried music but the game software sound and voices are all muffled through my UM3x and the DT1350, the ipod touch sounds better unamped.  Not surprising as I think the PSP sounds terrible with my UM3x as well, the Vita does sound better, but not much.  I wouldn't use it as a music player even if I don't have a choice.

Don't buy it as a media player if you don't want to game on it as just the memory cards alone will murder your wallet, not worth the price at all.  

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 42
I enjoyed playing a few games on the Vita in Sofmap. Fun, but I realised that I'm sort of out of that group. I've lost my DS and can't find it. I'd be happy to find it as I was mad about portable game systems in the early nineties, so much so that if there were a headfi for game systems back then, I'd be on tirades against the Game Gear and all pouty and eager about the Atari Lynx. Yep, that is my history. Also owned PC Engine in the 16-bit era. Top that.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #25 of 42
Perhaps I'm the first headfier with one of these, I got the first edition bundle because I'm greedy and wanted it a week early.  damn

Build quality is excellent on it.  It's hefty.  The screen is great, I'm not going to say "nothing special" since it's a really good res OLED, although the iPhone4 screen is awesome too...nice and big anyway and the touchscreen is effective.  It has an obscene amount of bells & whistles that make control within games very impressive, like the gyros, camera, bluetooth, rear touchpanel, etc etc.  

If you like electronic music, Lumines: Electric Symphony is pretty amazing.  I've been playing it with LCD3s on.  If only I could play every song I had to Lumines.  If you haven't heard of it, it's like Tetris on crack.  The PS Vita does a decent job of powering the LCD3s but an external amp is a good call.  

Probably not a great idea to use this as a music player.  You have to use a proprietary Sony app to transfer stuff to it.  The memory is gruesomely expensive for PSVita and there's no card reader for it so you're stuck using Sony's proprietary stuff.  I'm guessing the formats it supports are woeful.  You can rent and download movies and games on the store, but with memory as limited as it is, it's not a great idea to do too much of that.  I downloaded a couple games to the 8 gig memory card that cost me 30 bucks.  Sony isn't making squat on the hardware itself, the hardware itself is completely depraved and probably costs more than $250 to build.  Games & memory cards are where they get you.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #26 of 42

Quote:
Perhaps I'm the first headfier with one of these, I got the first edition bundle because I'm greedy and wanted it a week early.  damn

Build quality is excellent on it.  It's hefty.  The screen is great, I'm not going to say "nothing special" since it's a really good res OLED, although the iPhone4 screen is awesome too...nice and big anyway and the touchscreen is effective.  It has an obscene amount of bells & whistles that make control within games very impressive, like the gyros, camera, bluetooth, rear touchpanel, etc etc.  

If you like electronic music, Lumines: Electric Symphony is pretty amazing.  I've been playing it with LCD3s on.  If only I could play every song I had to Lumines.  If you haven't heard of it, it's like Tetris on crack.  The PS Vita does a decent job of powering the LCD3s but an external amp is a good call.  

Probably not a great idea to use this as a music player.  You have to use a proprietary Sony app to transfer stuff to it.  The memory is gruesomely expensive for PSVita and there's no card reader for it so you're stuck using Sony's proprietary stuff.  I'm guessing the formats it supports are woeful.  You can rent and download movies and games on the store, but with memory as limited as it is, it's not a great idea to do too much of that.  I downloaded a couple games to the 8 gig memory card that cost me 30 bucks.  Sony isn't making squat on the hardware itself, the hardware itself is completely depraved and probably costs more than $250 to build.  Games & memory cards are where they get you.

I got the Japan version for over two months now. You will notice the screen got the burn-in effect which very annoying when you see some very colorful picture (It will get worst and worst as time goes by) You will probably start notice the screen got the green annoying "burn in" effect after 10 hours of usage if you using it at very dark place.
As for the SQ, I have test it with headphone AKG240/AKG271MK2/AKG702/DT880 32Ohm/ and IEM EX600(just got it recently)/M6/M16/IE8. The SQ is really similar to NWZ E464. However, the bass seem like way to heavy for me, which I don't recommend to people enjoy more nature sounding.
PS vita is actually very cheaply put together..Some people in Japan done some research about its component, the WIFI version cost about 12000yen to build, the only expensive part is the OLED screen. However, the screen is not perfect yet, they are lots problem going on with PS vita screen.  If you want to get a some perfect or don't want to waste you money, I would definitely recommend you wait for the next generation PS vita come out...this model right now just not worth the price tag. I enjoy playing Japanese game so much, that's the only reason why I would like to get it first.

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #27 of 42
If people hate iTunes I can't imagine them even wanting to touch the music transfer app on the Vita - it's the worse piece of syncing software I've ever tried.  I have no clue how the engineers thinks that forcing you to use the touch screen on the Vita to control the syncing app while the PC's client software just sits there acting like a dumb file server is a good idea.  

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #28 of 42
Using this for media, either music or video, is completely worthless.  However, the gaming experience thus far is second to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back