HeadRoom MicroAmp
MicroStack Bag w/ MicroStrap, etc.
Grado SR 225's

I currently have the following stuff I use for portable music:
iPod 5G 30 w/ Total BitHead
Koss PortaPro's
Super.fi 5 Pro
Triple.fi 10 (soon)

And have tried but did not like the HD555 and HD595's.

I listen to 80's pop, electronic, rock, heavy metal and female vocalists. I like bass and I love to listen to live performances. I think my Super.fi's are excellent! Love the BitHead too. My music colletion is a mix of AAC and MP3 128 to 320.

So now you have an idea of my listening habits and tastes.

So my thoughts are...
I would be able to use the MicroDAC only on my computer. No bits coming out of the back of my iPod... I guess thats cool - I could explore ASIO on my laptop and desktop AND get the benefit of both the AMP and DAC. Maybe on a roadtrip or hotel or something both components could be used with the laptop... I don't travel like that much though. And the Grado's - well I would use them mostly at home too.

I'm also locked in with an iPod because of a decent amount of store downloads...

Work: iPod-MicroAMP-Cryo Dock-Triple.fi's
Home iMac-MicroDAC-MicroAMP-Grado's and my IEM's

Really - I'm looking to take things to the next step - hence the MicroDAC and MicroAMP. But I'm trying to justify here...How much better would the MicroAMP be over the BitHEad I have now? How much of a wow factor is involved when you use a DAC in between? Should I chuck the DAC since I mostly use the iPod and just get my kicks with the MicroAMP because using a DAC *isn't that much better* ?

Any sane rational thoughts are welcome. Any suggestions to go for it because I won't be dissappointed are welcome too.
eggosmile.gif

Sorry for the book...

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 12
The MicroDAC is superb. You just need to judge whether the environment in which you do your listening is quiet enough to hear the difference from what you have now.

The MicroAmp will blow the bitHead away. Quieter, more dynamics, better frequency extension. More power-bandwidth.

Of course, your portable system will now be less portable and more power hungry...How does that effects your decision?

Soundwise, the MicroStack will put you in a difference league.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 12
It's hard to argue about the Micro DAC. Everybody seems to like it, and there are not many alternate choices. For the amp, however, there are many alternate choices, some of which have semi-rabid fans. I'm not convinced that the Micro amp is the compelling choice.

But I think the first thing you need to clarify is exactly what you mean by "portable". The Micro pair is certainly "transportable", e.g., you can lug them on the plane and then to the hotel room. But "portable"? Not really, unless you like lugging things more than I do :wink:

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 12
I paired the MicroDac with an SR-71 and use it with my H140 which has optical out. I dont really see it a problem transporting it as i have a nice bag to store it in when im on the move, so i would regard it as portable. I use Shures for headphones though. Open cans are a bit much for public transport and are probably not the most portable in the whole equation.

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul
Open cans are a bit much for public transport and are probably not the most portable in the whole equation.

I used Grados for portable for awhile. You are right, too much sound leaked in and out, but the Grados did fit decently in my bag with the earcups flat. Another minor thing was the white writing on the sides wore off pretty quickly since they were being used outdoors. They did have a nice sound, but I prefer my Sennheiser HD25-1's quite a bit more. They are also fairly bright like the Grados and about the same impedence, but they are closed and isolate sound, and are also well-built for portable use. They also have the slightly relaxed Sennheiser sound signature. I use mine with a simple OP2227-based cmoy in an altoids tin, and .flac files from a 5G iPod /w rockbox as a source. I think anything better is unnecessary for portable use for me. The sound is very full and crisp, although the bass is a bit less deep and more boomy than my 650's.

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 12
xcodeguy says:
Quote:

My music colletion is a mix of AAC and MP3 128 to 320. ... I'm thinking of getting the following kit ... MicroDAC and MicroAMP. ... How much of a wow factor is involved when you use a DAC in between?

I have serious reservations about getting much of a "wow" out of songs downloaded from the iTunes Store.

I love the idea of the MicroDac and MicroAmp. I would buy one in a second, but I use iTunes as my music browser and have no interest in having two browsers on my computer. If your heart is set, get the Micro Set and an iRiver H1. It is one of the few players with digital line-out.

EDIT:
Jbucla2005 says:
Quote:

Sennheiser HD-25's

Good cans and you don't look like a total lunatic wearing them!

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
xcodeguy says:
I have serious reservations about getting much of a "wow" out of songs downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Yeah - I hear you. I posted in a different thread on how I was locked to the ipod and iTunes because of the FairPlay music I have...

I'm just looking for the best of both worlds here. I keep referencing the MicroAmp because I own a Total BitHead and really do enjoy what it does for listening to an iPod and my music. I have not tried any other portable amp so the BitHead is my only point of reference.

I can deal with the additional portable issues with using the Micro Stack rig. I have no problem with the 'extra' stuff. From what everyone is saying - yes - I will experience an upgraded improvement by using the MicroStack w/ optical on my iMac with IEM's and The Grado's I mentioned.

The MicroAmp will be for the iPod and at work and - again - everyone is saying it blows the BitHEaad away, cool. The pocket protability is not an issue at all. I'd even get the Desktop upgrade because I have never listened to music a solid 7 to 9 hours at work. And if I'm on the road for other reasons I'll keep a couple of spare 9V batteries on hand.

The posts to this thread and all the other threads I have read provide me with plenty fo information for making a decision. I'll probably get both.

This will ultimately turn into a very very nice rig if I go through with it so I want to have my transportable investment with me right? It looks cool, sounds awesome, etc., etc. so I'll be carrying around a DAC that cannot be used with the iPod.

I can see it now....

People: "Wow! What's that stuff?"
Xcodeguy: "It's a headphone amp and dac - blah blah blah...."
People: "Where does the iPod plug into the DAC thingy?"
Xcodeguy: "Um Oh - uh I can't use it with my iPod - but it's a MicroStack..."
People: "Why do you carry around that extra brick dac thingy if you don't use it with your iPod?"

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 12
xcodeguy says:
Quote:

Yeah - I hear you. I posted in a different thread on how I was locked to the ipod and iTunes because of the FairPlay music I have...

I am a big fan of Apple. Having said that, iTunes Music Store songs are not only dmr'd but there not very good.

Downloads from the music store songs are 128 bit ACC files. At best, the quality is mediocre and rather thin. There is no "wow" to be found in an iTunes Music store song.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 12
http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1081206124.html

You don't have to locked into that (illegal in my opinion) itunes DRM scheme, there are programs that remove the DRM. I don't feel that removing DRM on files you purchased is illegal, as long as you don't illegally share them. Apples Fairplay DRM is disguised as an artist protecting feature, when It reality it is simply a system to Lock you into APPLE products. The licencing to play such tracks will never be sold to non-apple companies (other than some crappy phones).

I am and will continue to be a UMS device supporter. I'm no bitch to the system, thank you. I purchased a $400 unit, there is no way a company can restict my use of it, It's the principle of it.

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 12
timmins says:
Quote:

I don't feel that removing DRM on files you purchased is illegal, as long as you don't illegally share them.

I don't disagree with you! Unfortunitly, the "crack" will quickly be patched by Apple.

More importantly, I believe (I don't own any drm'd files) that you can circumvent the drm scheme by ripping the song to a cd. I think the quality will suffer, but the drm is removed ???

Oct 9, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back