Thoughts on this amp?
Oct 26, 2006 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mADmAN

500+ Head-Fier
masters, i was wondering what your thoughts are on this headphone amp i just purchased.

Manufaturer's Website

Product Link

and heres a pic of the manual and the amp along with some specs

click on the thumbnail to get a bigger and clearer pic of the scan

source would be an Audigy 2 ZS and the amp will be connected to a DT990 '05 Edition.. main use would be for metal and some gaming as well.

thanks

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 7
The Battery Cute looks very very nice. I wonder why it appears that no one ever tried it before?
confused.gif

Must be the "group behaviour" effect
rolleyes.gif

Wouldn't you please do a review when you can?

Oct 26, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 7
actually someone already has.... i just got the link from the manufacturer's webbie heh.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150394

its a nice writeup which basically has the same thoughts as i do

though id still love to hear more opinions from forumers here on this amp

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 7
But,
biggrin.gif
lan doesn't seem to have tried the Cute Battery, ain't it?
confused.gif
So I stand confirmed rather than corrected?
plainface.gif

It's about time for a review then
gs1000.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 7
What is interesting is that you can use a shunt type volume control, which is very clean, depending upon the resistor used. Nice touch. I wonder what opamps it can use?

Oct 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
But,
biggrin.gif
lan doesn't seem to have tried the Cute Battery, ain't it?
confused.gif
So I stand confirmed rather than corrected?
plainface.gif

It's about time for a review then
gs1000.gif

oops...my mistake
biggrin.gif
i thought it was the battery coz in the pix they look EXACTLY alike all the way down to the box. only diff is that i dont have the "warranty card" and the pix of the internals in the manual is different. sorry *blush*

as for review....eeerrrrrr...... i aint really an audiophile so articulating my thoughts would be difficult... so im echoing ian on this one
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian
Pros
- Non offensive sounding making it easy to deal with.
- Above average bass response. With the fubar II, it sounds like there's a mini sub sometimes in depth and power. The better power supply could help here I suspect. Although it doesn't need more bass I find having more bass is ONLY ok if it's actually resolved well.
- Balanced presentation.
- Fairly neutral sound which mimickes up stream components easier.

Cons
- Could use a little more treble extension.
- Could use a little more detail.

LINK

dont have much to compare on...best i can use for comparison would be the Philips HP250 + PA2v2.

i guess its alright... at high gain it has alot of power. i also tried swapping amps with the Go Vibe 5 and the PA2v2 and those 2 were like struggling to kick my DT990/250 compared to the battery.

soundwise, i like the clarity. i also started hearing things that ive never heard before in my previous setup.

as for bass, definite improvement for my metal. i find it being more puncy and aint muddy at all. my cans can go low so listening to Korn's Seen It All is nice during the intro as u can hear the bass going deep. i wish there was more but then again im comparing it to my ICE :p

soundstage is alright. i also tested it playing UT2004 and i managed to hear things all around me. same went for NFSMW.

but comparing it to the other 2 amps i mentioned above...

PPA2v2
-has slightly better bass...but i dont find it to be as sharp. soundstage about the same but i aint too happy with the clarity coz like i said, i felt it was struggling to kick the cans. that and also theyre warm amps which i dont really find suitable for metal.

Go Vibe
-another warm amp. better soundstage. loses out on the bass. clarity about the same as the PA2v2. also felt it was struggling to kick the cans.

source is an Audigy 2ZS with the speaker settings set to 2/2.1 speakers. setting it to headphones would give me bass overkill and the soundstage sucks.

oh, and both cans and amp were tested while burning in... so these are just initial thoughts

so thats about it....aint much...but u get the idea...
cool.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Interesting. Thanks & congrats on your effort.
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like the Battery Cute II has a markedly better clarity than the other two amps. To improve the soundstage (and futher improve the clarity as well) one could substitute the OPA2227 with an OPA2107 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back