Thoughts on SotM products?
Feb 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dmbr

100+ Head-Fier
This company has a number of products advertising various forms of power cleaning and jitter reduction for your PC, but I'm confused as to how (or how plausible it is) they'd really help...intriguing though; I'd be interested in any opinions, especially the more reasonably priced items towards the bottom of the page!

http://www.sotm.sonore.us/SOtM3.html

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm not really sure what to make of these, but if you use USB products, you could always go for a Schiit Wyrd, which basically does the same thing, but for USB and it's only 99$.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 11
I have one, but "upgraded" to an Uptone Regen
I'm not really sure what to make of these, but if you use USB products, you could always go for a Schiit Wyrd, which basically does the same thing, but for USB and it's only 99$.
I have one, but upgraded to an Uptone Regen with an SBooster and iPower + iPurifier2 :)

I think theSotM products do something different, though...though my understanding of what is limited. I think they clean the signal that's being sent to the USB, rather than what the USB is sending through the cable? And with some perhaps reduce interference and the actual causes of jitter, rather than "cleaning" the jitter that is produced.

Seems if that's the case, the benefits of USB cleaning devices would stack with the SotM products.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 11
I have one, but "upgraded" to an Uptone Regen
I have one, but upgraded to an Uptone Regen with an SBooster and iPower + iPurifier2
smily_headphones1.gif

I think theSotM products do something different, though...though my understanding of what is limited. I think they clean the signal that's being sent to the USB, rather than what the USB is sending through the cable? And with some perhaps reduce interference and the actual causes of jitter, rather than "cleaning" the jitter that is produced.

Seems if that's the case, the benefits of USB cleaning devices would stack with the SotM products.

Yeah, that's roughly what I could make out, as well, but the end-effect should be similar. I know the Wyrd provides a substitute power supply for the USB. One that is supposedly less noisy than the one that the computer provides.

Now, dmbr, having owned one, does this actually work? Because I can hear a very small amount of noise coming off my PC when I'm on USB, but I can't hear it via toslink, so that's a different thing altogether.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, that's roughly what I could make out, as well, but the end-effect should be similar. I know the Wyrd provides a substitute power supply for the USB. One that is supposedly less noisy than the one that the computer provides.

Now, dmbr, having owned one, does this actually work? Because I can hear a very small amount of noise coming off my PC when I'm on USB, but I can't hear it via toslink, so that's a different thing altogether.
My main DAC only draws power from the handshake, so I don't use a Wyrd or USB power cleaner/source device like the iUSB for my most sensitive setup. Here's my current chain for that:

Power source for PC + DAC + amp + PSU's:
Furman P-8 Pro Series II Linear Power Conditioner + PS Audio Noise Harvester

Actual chain--cleaner/conditioner/power-related devices you might consider if you're pondering a Wyrd in bold:

PC > Jitterbug plugged in adjacent to DAC USB slot > iFi Mercury USB cable > iPurifier2 > Uptone Regen + iPower PSU > SBooster 5v blocker > Konvertible Lite 160 USB cable (w/ removable 5v to allow handshake then disconnect) > Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC + Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature Power Cable > Dyson Audio Silver Kapton Audiophile RCA Preamp Jumpers > iTube preamp + iPower PSU > same Dyson RCA jumpers > Yulong A28 fully balanced class A headphone amplifier + Dyson Audio DH Labs Silver Sonic Encore Power Cable > Cardas Fatpipe Fully Balanced XLR headphone cables > HD 800's

I can better answer questions about the above gear, but when I use the Wyrd for my laptop > Meridian Explorer > Sennheiser ie80 IED setup, the Wyrd did slightly lower the noise floor, but mostly was useful in that it resolved some problems I was having (pops, random disconnects, excessive noise).

If you've got headphones good enough to detect the Wyrd's potential (very subtle, at best) benefits to SQ, you're probably using a self-powered DAC and amp, and therefore have no need for a Wyrd or any USB power source/cleaner.

I'd only recommend picking up a Wyrd if you're having problems that might be related to faulty USB power, not if you're hoping for a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

The excessive white noise you're hearing could indeed be in part symptomatic of unclean USB power, so there is a chance the Wyrd could help a bit in your case--just don't expect it to eliminate the white noise completely.

Adding an iFi iPurifier DC (~$120?) to the Wyrd's PSU--or better yet a decent ~$80 "Audiophile" Linear PSU--might further whatever benefits you get from the Wyrd in reducing noise. But that's about $300 to fix a rather minor issue with a >$300 DAC...

The iPower is a quarter the price ($50) and even quieter than an Audiophile linear PSU + iPurifier DC, but sadly I think the Wyrd requires 6.5v and the iPower only comes in 7v/9v/12v. Do go with an iPower if I'm wrong and it could properly power a Wyrd--only $50 for a top-notch PSU is a relatively good deal.

Hope that helps :)

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 11
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't plan on using one anyway, if it really bothered me if I would have switched to optical, just wanted to know if it's an actual improvement or just placebo. I don't find the need to spend any additional money on that since I plan to upgrade anyway. After I do that, I'll see if I actually need one or not :)

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't plan on using one anyway, if it really bothered me if I would have switched to optical, just wanted to know if it's an actual improvement or just placebo. I don't find the need to spend any additional money on that since I plan to upgrade anyway. After I do that, I'll see if I actually need one or not :)
Ah, gotcha. Well I think you're doing it right, then :)

I use all this USB stuff due to limitations and deficiencies with optical, but I don't think the discrepancy between the two would be discernible with gear much lower of a grade than my own.

Ahhh the obsessive and wallet-murdering audiophile quest...

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 11
I've heard good things about that USB PCIe card. That's probably going to be one of my next upgrades. I just got the USB regen from Uptone Audio and was really impressed with the improvement in sound, I think it was that thread that someone said the two worked great together. I figure the motherboard USB has got to be total cheap and noisy crap (especially since the regen helped so much). A good high quality USB card has got to be better. I really like that you can plug in your own power supply from the outside and bypass the computers noisy supply. 

Of course they can talk it up all they want, it has to past the hearing test. Which people seem to like it. But how about you buy it and let us know! 

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, of all the products on that page the USB hub certainly looks the most likely to deliver results.

I'm eying the "cheap" fan filters, though...anyone have thoughts on how likely those might be to make an audible improvement?

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 11
Hi, I bought the SOtM sMS-200 Neo-SE with fancy caps and silver wire and a 9 Volt SBooster, but I am saving for the SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo-Se with fancy caps, silver wire and no clock connection and again 9 Volt so I keep the SBooster. Also I am thinking of the iSO Cat. 7 with a Moon Siver Dragon Ethernet cable 1.5 ft. The SOtM sMS-200 Neo-SE is just fine, but my DAC is the Ayre QB-9 Twenty so I could scale up with the source to match the DAC. (The sales people keep telling me). Is it madness? Perhaps a bit because I am having fun and I am happy. The little USB bridge is better than my desktop computer was, but how much do you hear from a high end price tag? I do not know yet. The external clock is a no go for me at €4.399,- . Also USB regenerators are a pass since I had an iFi regenerator and the Ayre was a lot better without it. Kind regards best wishes, Yoram

May 2, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 11
yep...to the OP, get on some Ifi products that do similar for way less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back