Thoughts on my first pair of headphones (Grado SR-80s)
Aug 12, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 20
Enjoy the cans Hop and welcome to head-fi :)

enjoy the music first........ spend money on upgrades when you're old and can't hear high frequencies
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 20
Congrats, you won't be disappointed with the flats! Make sure your MS-1s get at least 40 hours of burn in too - and yep the next step is to get an amp like a cmoy, or even a mint for a bit more. Welcome, sorry about your wallet, and in a month from now you can say this too...

WOOT 500 POSTS!

Aug 12, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 20
Pick up an AudioTrac OptoPlay, it'll give you better sound than the onboard sound of the work computer and will work as a decent headphone amp as well. I've used it a lot with my SR60's and they have pretty good synergy together. If you want to spend more, you can pick up an Audiphile USB. The OptoPlay is nice though since it's plug-n-play and you don't have to install drivers on the work computer.

Aug 12, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hop Pocket
I have the bowl pads. Actually my main complaint with the Grados is the lack of bass. Will the flats help that much? Sorry, I'm a headphone newbie and the idea of pads making a huge difference is difficult for me to understand.

Me too, but I've seen enough praise about them to make me think they are a worthwhile "upgrado." It's only a $35 risk and if you have bowls and are unhappy with the bass, the flats seem to be the way to go. They should make a noticeable improvement. Some people do still prefer the bowls, but they seem to be in the minority.

The way some people talk about the flat pads, you'd think going from bowls to flats makes a bigger difference in sound than going from a $70 headphone amp to a $300 one.
smily_headphones1.gif
Heck, maybe it does...I plan to order some flats and find out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back