Thoughts on my first pair of headphones (Grado SR-80s)
Aug 12, 2004 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Hop Pocket

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been lurking for a little while on these boards, trying to get a good feel for a first set of real headphones. I finally decided on a pair of Grado SR-80's and I honestly take them with me wherever I go
rs1smile.gif
These cans (I'm still adjusting to the lingo) are simply great.

When I first got them, I thought they were pretty mediocre, however. About 3-4 weeks later though I guess they sufficiently burned in and are much better.

I've noticed a difference listening to music at home through my Kenwood uber-consumer-model amplifier versus my iPod versus my integrated sound board on my work computer.

Here's more detail on that:

1. Kenwood Receiver

Sounds the best. I've not adjusted the bass or amp settings on the receiver at all -- I simply play analog audio out from my G4 to the receiver. The bass is much deeper coming from my receiver and the sound is much fuller overall.

2. iPod

Sounds the weakest. I've read on other places that the SR-80's don't need much to be driven sufficiently, but my experience with the iPod (3rd Gen) tells me otherwise. Attempts to compensate for the tinny sound by using the built-in equalizer result in sound clipping on the lower end of the spectrum and is ultimately dissatisfying.
frown.gif
Do I need a headphone amp for my iPod?

3. SoundMax integrated sound board

This is running on my work PC. While it sounds better than that of my Ipod, it still does not sound as well as it does coming from my receiver.

Are my experiences typical? Most of my listening time is spent at work and if I were to empty more of my wallet (happily, mind you!) I'd probably want to modify my sound set up on my work PC.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Aug 12, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 20
Yes, it is well within typical observation. You would be suprised how much sound improves with each headphone amp and source upgrade. Of course, then you will realize the limitation of your SR-80
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 20
Congratulations to your new cans. A time ago Grado SR-80's were my "starters" as well (I still keep them, however recently one driver has died). I used it with my old IBM ThinkPad and since they sounded quite good unamped, i didn't purchase an amp and even used them with default bowls only. But then I found Head-fi and the journey began.....
evil_smiley.gif

Beware of upGrado....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 20
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet! As you see in my signature, I use a humble Cmoy right now, and it drives Low-Z cans like Grado sufficient for my aural needs, for now....muahahaha.....

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Heh @upgrado -- I imagine the rabbit hole goes pretty deep with regards to upgrades
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it worth it to buy a better sound card for my computer, given these headphones, or do you think that the onboard sound will probably sound as good as a $100 audigy? Or , should I just get a headphone amp ?

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hop Pocket
Is it worth it to buy a better sound card for my computer, given these headphones, or do you think that the onboard sound will probably sound as good as a $100 audigy? Or , should I just get a headphone amp ?

Yes, it is worth. Upgrade your source first, then buy an amp. Check out the Computer-as-source forum for recommendations.

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Congrats on your new cans! The SR80's were my 1st "serious" headphones as well. Easy to drive, fun, good bang for the buck factor, a nice start in the right direction.
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 20
I would pick up (or make) a Cmoy amp before upgrading your source. They are relatively cheap and can make a huge difference in how the SR80s sound. Without an amp, upgrading your source won't give you a significant boost in sound quality.

My SR80s sound damn good when I run from the iPod line out to a Cmoy.

Aug 12, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 20
I currently own the SR-80 and it is/was my first "real" set of headphones also. I think a Cmoy or Go-Vibe would work great with them. Maybe a Supermini or Porta Corda as well, but I don't know much about them other than seeing them recommended here.

For a source upgrade there are a few sound cards that will blow away onboard sound and any of the Audigy cards (I own an Audigy 2 and although it sounds good to me, they don't have a very good reputation for being a good-sounding card for music). Depending on your budget, check out the highly-recommended Chaintech AV-710 which is quite possibly the best bang for your buck. Or you could go straight for an E-MU 0404 or 1212m which sound better than the AV-710 but won't be as high on the "price/performance" scale.

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I currently own the SR-80 and it is/was my first "real" set of headphones also. I think a Cmoy or Go-Vibe would work great with them. Maybe a Supermini or Porta Corda as well, but I don't know much about them other than seeing them recommended here

Thanks -- I looked around for Cmoy's but it seems that most of them are all custom jobs (I found a couple of tutorials too but I'm electronically challenged). Is there a decent place to find a good, non-expensive Cmoy amp?

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
Do you have flat pads or bowl pads?

If you don't have the flat pads, I would recommend those over every other upgrade, first.

I have the bowl pads. Actually my main complaint with the Grados is the lack of bass. Will the flats help that much? Sorry, I'm a headphone newbie and the idea of pads making a huge difference is difficult for me to understand.

vvvvv thanks! best 90-100 bucks I've spent in a while. I'm concerned that I'm going to end up spending a lot more tho in the near future
blink.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Congrats on your first headphone "acquisition"... it's a long road, but on the bright side full of good music. Try plugging your phones into better sources and amps at a meet or well-equipped friend's house - then you will know their true potential.

Cheers!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #15 of 20
The following upgrades are in the order of which affect bass most to least:
1) Flat pads from Todd the Vinyl Junkie (Head-Fi sponser)
2) Amp (CMOY or Headsave Vibe would be good inexpensive amps)
3) Source upgrade (get the Chaintech AV-710 if you can install a PCI card, the M-Audio Transit if you need a USB card, or the Echo Indego if you have a laptop (the last two include headphone amps built-in, with the latter having a better one, only get the AV-710 if you already have an amp))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back