Thoughts on my E17
Dec 9, 2016 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hopefully someone has had a similar situation and can lend some insight.

I bought an E17 used (from here) and it's been great. I've owned it for about 3.5 years and I got the E09K to go with it.

The battery doesn't last quite as long as I'd like (it won't last on a flight from PHX to STL for work anymore), but that's to be expected with an older device.

Recently, however, I went to listen to my headphones at my desk and found no sound at all coming from the E09K. I thought that was strange. When I glanced over, I noticed that the power light on my E17 was out. When I tried to turn it back on...nothing happened. When I removed it from the E09K and put it back, the power light turned solid red (like it does when it's charging) but after a few minutes it turned off. None of the other buttons do anything.

I emailed FiiO and they are willing to diagnose it, but I have to send it back to China for them to do so. The E17 is old, and it might not be worth it for me to do that. That's why I'm turning to this group.

Would it be worth it for me to try to source a new battery and replace the one that's in there? Does this even sound like a battery problem? Should I just wait and get something else?

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like a battery problem.  I would just get a new amp, either from FIIO or other company.  And I would just wire up some other battery to see if that is really what the problem is of your E17 amp failure.  The E17 that I have is still going strong, but it only sees duty as a DAC with the E9.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 6
That was my thought too, though it's really odd that it won't work when docked to the E09K. You'd think that since the E09K charges as well that it would be able to bypass the battery.

That's the part that has me a little perplexed.

The E09K is working just fine. I currently have it running through the Aux In ports on the back from my sound card. It's not an ideal situation and the sound is noticeably different; but it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back