Thoughts on "Metallic Spheres" by The Orb featuring David Gilmour?
Oct 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I am a huge David Gilmour fan, and so I bought this album on the release date.  I am not very familiar with Ambient, though.  I like this record, but I'm wondering if people who consider themselves very into Ambient like it.

Oct 17, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
I've been following Orb's ups and downs for almost 2 decades now (can't beat Orblivion in my book
biggrin.gif
) and this new album is a good return to form, but I found too much already used samples and sounds in Metallic Spheres to be totally original and fresh tho.

Still, a nice return to form, and Gilmour's guitar parts merge nicely with the music.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Not really to my taste, though I like Mr. GIlmour's other work very much.

Reason I wanted to listen is that this album made the major headlines over here in the Netherlands: "3D gaining momentum, also in audio". For the non-Dutch speakers: this article introduces this as the 'first 3D(60) album", whatever that may be. It also says: "Instruments and sonic effects shoot left-right, up-down, front-back". Headphone required to experience this!

Well, the proof is in the listening and... sorry, not impressed: I have no 3D sensation whatsoever listening to this... If somebody else has, please let me know so I can make an appointment with my GP to have my brain checked.

Curious if there was any mention about 3D in other countries??..

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Its a double cd box, only CD2 is mixed in 3D60,

Ah, that probably explains why I was not really shocked.

I have, in the mean time, checked 3d60's webpage and listened to the demo. It does add a new kind of sensation; will see if I can have a listen to the complete 3D60 version soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back