Thought's on LCD-2 rev.2 --> Schiit Bifrost --> schiit Lyr
Sep 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HarryWarner1

Head-Fier
Hey, 

I purchased the LCD-2 rev.2's recently, and unfortunately I haven't got the money to add an amp and dac to complete the setup just yet. So, to the question. I am looking to seek advice regarding the value of the set up mentioned in the title (LCD-2 rev.2 --> Schiit Bifrost --> Schiit Lyr), keeping in mind, I am lucky enough to get a great price on the Schiit stack, which is $700 AUD, which is pretty much $534USD. Also I will be getting some nicer tubes for the lyr.

Thanks in advance, Harry

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm not exactly sure what your question is but that set up should sound as good as most other set ups in that price range. Is the bifrost going to be an original bifrost or an uber or multibit? 

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7

it'd be original. When you say in that price range do you mean the price I'm getting them at or the retail price?

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 7
The Bifrost Uber that I have is a tinge on the bright side with a very slight metallic quality, but the Lyr 2 with some Amperex 7308 vintage gold pin tubes (Got them from Upscale audio) sounded to my ears indistinguishable from the $2300 Violectric V281. So, the Lyr 2 will punch way above its weight and I'd say the v281 does too in its own right. If that combination is too warm with the LCD 2's, switching out with some brighter-sounding tubes should do the job
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 7

Thanks for the reply, I'd be using the original Lyr, would this change anything? also what would be some high quality brighter tubes for the Lyr? and final question, how much are said tubes?

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I've never heard the original lyr, so I can't say except that the Lyr 2 revision would accordingly be an upgrade in sound quality. How much so I can't say, as I've never heard it.

I've been A/B testing my Lyr 2 with different tubes against the v281 the past day or so and haven't been able to tell any difference in sound, so I probably don't have the best trained ears to be giving impressions about the different tubes, unfortunately. So, I'll stop here before I give any advice on tubes. I'm finding more and more than I am hearing no differences between the V850 / Bifrost and v280 / Lyr 2 regardless of tubes in A/B testing; only different headphones are making a difference for me. I don't know how others are able to tell a difference, but they do somehow so I'll leave it to the experts.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 7

I can respect that, thanks :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back