Thoughts on Grado SR-60 Burn in...
Dec 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
First things first, add another one to the Grado fanclub.

Now, so far, it has been an interesting ride observing the changes in my SR-60's. I'm a firm believer of burn in. I've observed it countless number of times with my father's equipment, albeit this is my first experience in the world of high fidelity and headphones.

At the very beginning everything seemed pretty well present...highs, mids, bass...all there, but oh man those highs were sharp. I not certain I've experienced cymbals in such a way before. I loved it, but it was definitely hot. After a while the highs remained nice and sharp and crisp, but became a bit more mellow and seemed to smooth out a bit, but a strange thing happened. I lost my bass....It really did just, for the most part, go away....I swore something was wrong but my dad said just listen and give it a bit more time. Well, sure enough, the bass came back, and oh man did it come back. It now punches nicely and just smoothly flows and grooves the bottom end oh so nice...McCartney on Rubber Soul...yeah, oh so nice. The midrange seemed to stay unchanged, very warm and present and, in my opinion, absolutely beautiful. I was really only finding complaints in separation. Now, the soundstage was decent, but not grand....but man of man....it just happened. Threw in Houses of the Holy...got to track two, The Rain Song...and WOW...here we have two guitars, bass, cello, and two violas, I believe, and I can't truley explain how the stage has finally opened up on these cans....Every part was so well separated and represented...it all just melted into my head...

These cans have really gone through some serious changes and have opened up so incrediably nice....I think that I'm in love....

Well, thanks for listening.

Dec 22, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First things first, add another one to the Grado fanclub.

Now, so far, it has been an interesting ride observing the changes in my SR-60's. I'm a firm believer of burn in. I've observed it countless number of times with my father's equipment, albeit this is my first experience in the world of high fidelity and headphones.

At the very beginning everything seemed pretty well present...highs, mids, bass...all there, but oh man those highs were sharp. I not certain I've experienced cymbals in such a way before. I loved it, but it was definitely hot. After a while the highs remained nice and sharp and crisp, but became a bit more mellow and seemed to smooth out a bit, but a strange thing happened. I lost my bass....It really did just, for the most part, go away....I swore something was wrong but my dad said just listen and give it a bit more time. Well, sure enough, the bass came back, and oh man did it come back. It now punches nicely and just smoothly flows and grooves the bottom end oh so nice...McCartney on Rubber Soul...yeah, oh so nice. The midrange seemed to stay unchanged, very warm and present and, in my opinion, absolutely beautiful. I was really only finding complaints in separation. Now, the soundstage was decent, but not grand....but man of man....it just happened. Threw in Houses of the Holy...got to track two, The Rain Song...and WOW...here we have two guitars, bass, cello, and two violas, I believe, and I can't truley explain how the stage has finally opened up on these cans....Every part was so well separated and represented...it all just melted into my head...

These cans have really gone through some serious changes and have opened up so incrediably nice....I think that I'm in love....

Well, thanks for listening.

Welcome to headfi & the grado club , sorry for your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 13
I haven't even tried the comfies yet. I bought from TTVJ so I picked up some bowls. I'll try the comfies eventually.

Are the 414 pads the yellow ones that I've seen on some pics?

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I haven't even tried the comfies yet. I bought from TTVJ so I picked up some bowls. I'll try the comfies eventually.

Are the 414 pads the yellow ones that I've seen on some pics?

414 - Bowls - Comfy - 414 hole mod
web.jpg

web.jpg

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

To mod the comfies, should I cut a hole about the size of what the bowl's have?
I like the yellow...ready to spend money again already...

wink.gif
comfy mods

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Size of the hole? For you the option A - option B you have the Flats and Bolws
web.jpg

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 13
People generally cut a hole the size of a quarter or a nickel. Just press a coin in the center of the pad, and cut out the hole with an exacto knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back