Thoughts on Ether CX vs LCD-XC vs ÆON Noire?
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

HawaiiR

100+ Head-Fier
So I’ve recently parted ways with my XC and have been interested in replacing it with another closed back with a somewhat similar sound profile - mainly in that I want the detail and clarity that the XC provides.

I’ve been curious about buying the Ether CX, especially now that it’s on sale for $699, but I’ve heard both good and bad reviews of it, thus my hesitation on picking up a pair. I know they are relatively flat and analytical, and I think I might be ok with that. It’s the detail in sound that I’m after.

Howvever, I’m also interested in the Noire. I’ve owned the ÆON RT previously, which I really did like, despite people saying that the bass was thin - it wasn’t a huge issue for me, and while it certainly didn’t slam like the XC, I just eq’d when I felt like I wanted more out of it.

I listen mostly to music of the electronic variety, such as deep house, techno, progressive house, downtempo, leftfield, atmospheric drum-n-bass, ambient, synthwave. I know many assume that I might want an emu teac or something along those lines - fyi, I do have a pair of Denon 7200’s, and they’re ok, but not in my top 3. If I had to list my favorites (including ones I don’t own any more) the list would look like this:
LCD-3
LCD-XC
ATH-AD2000
ÆON RT

All that said, I’m torn between the CX and the Noire, and would love to hear your thoughts on them, and possibly how you’d rank the three in terms of your personal observations of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back