Thoughts on an oldie, UE6000?
Jul 26, 2017 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pilotdog68

Head-Fier
I recently got some HE400i's that I'll use most of the time, now I'm just looking for some cheaper closed-backs for when I need a little isolation. I want something pretty neutral and detailed, but leaning more towards warm sound than bright. I used to have some Momentums' and that sound was basically what I am looking for now, but they did not fit my ears.

Is the UE6000 a good buy under $50? Or do you have other suggestions?
Priorities are

- Comfort
- Neutral, non-fatiguing sound
- Isolation

In that order

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Without anc ue6000 are fairly neutral leaning towards warm and bassy sound. However comfort is not top notch. Those are quite heavy. Also the earpads openings are quite small for over ears. That might be an issue If you have big ears. But for sound and build quality 50usd is a good price especially If you decide to to use anc and want to enjoy bassy headphones sometimes.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 8
I recently got some HE400i's that I'll use most of the time, now I'm just looking for some cheaper closed-backs for when I need a little isolation. I want something pretty neutral and detailed, but leaning more towards warm sound than bright. I used to have some Momentums' and that sound was basically what I am looking for now, but they did not fit my ears.

Is the UE6000 a good buy under $50? Or do you have other suggestions?
Priorities are

- Comfort
- Neutral, non-fatiguing sound
- Isolation

In that order

I have the ue6000. For $50 they are a great buy, if you can find them for that price.

For me the headband wasn't my favorite, but it works well enough. I mainly don't like pads being thicker in the middle as I feel it puts a tad too much weight/pressure on the top of my head. The earpads themselves are comfortable for long wear if not the biggest in size, and the earpads are not designed to be changed. Of course any earpad can be changed if you are willing to tinker.

Sound wise they are very good. U shaped with the ANC off and V shaped with it on. Easily driven. Mids are there with the ANC off, but recessed with it on mainly from the mid-bass being to strong. You need batteries for the ANC, but don't need batteries for passive mode. Passive mode is non fatiguing and active mode can be based on what you listen too and how sensitive to extra bass and brighter treble you are when active mode is turned on. Oh the bass in active mode will vibrate your ears, side of the head, and feel like it's kicking you hardcore.

Isolation they are decent. Better with the ANC on, but the ANC isn't as good as newer tech for it. It does dampen some sound, but not everything. Although being nicely sealed closed back set blocks a decent amount passively already.

I've had mine for 3 years now and look mint still. I try to take good care of my stuff though. Still they look like they will last me a long time so durability wise they seem decent.

They look nice too, but the side plastic covers are finger print magnets. One other odd quirk is that the cable insert is backwards. Most headphones have the incoming cable on the left side, but the ue6000 are on the right side.

They were listed on Innerfidelity's wall of fame for many years even at their original full price. Review here.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Sounds like they might be more bassy than I generally like, even in passive mode. Another model I see popping up in my price range is the Marshall Monitor. I don't suppose any of you have both to compare?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Sounds like they might be more bassy than I generally like, even in passive mode. Another model I see popping up in my price range is the Marshall Monitor. I don't suppose any of you have both to compare?

In passive the ue6000 isn't bassy to me. In active they certainly are.

Well I know some really good cheap closed back headphones. Are you really wanting ANC? Good ANC and cheap right now though don't go together. I do know some great passive isolation closed back sets on the cheap I've tried.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 8
No I don't need ANC, probably wouldn't ever use it on the UE6000. By "Isolation", I mainly mean so other people don't hear my music at home. I use IEM's when I travel.

As far as my bass preferences, the Momentums had a bit more than my HD558s and that was nice, but I wouldn't want any more than that.

From what I've read, AKG K545 might be exactly what I'm looking for, they're just a bit more than I wanted to spend. I have the cash for them, but it's more the principle of spending $80 on headphones I'll rarely use. As comparison, UE6000s and Marshall Monitors regularly go for $30-40 on ebay.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been satisfied with the LyxPro Has 30 as a nice m50x knock off. Ebay has it for $46 which includes a carrying case. Big, comfortable, and sounds like how you want headphones to sound like. Cheap too. The build quality in the long run may be iffy, but should hold up to normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back