Thoughts on a new amplifier symbiotic with my current set up.
May 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gwaaron

New Head-Fier
I have read a number of posts along the lines of "help me decide what new amp to purchase" and do not want to repeat that theme.  I do not have the opportunity to audition much equipment where I live.  But in my quest I have pretty much narrowed things down to a Woo Audio WA-22 or a Red Wine Audio Cassabria.  My current housing situation lends itself more to headphone listening than using the speakers at what I consider normal listening levels, hence my quest for upgrading my headphone gear.

I am a tube guy.  My listening rig is all tubes (Audio Research) including CD player and phono preamp, and my current headphone amp is a Melos SHA-1 with which I use Sennheiser HD-600's. In the near future, I also see either Sennheiser HD-800's or Audeze LCD-2 headphones plugged into my system.  My musical preferences include a variety of music, jazz, classical both small ensembles and orchestral works, world music, bluegrass and every now and again some good old rock and roll.

To me, music should be reproduced with much coloration or affectation by the equipment being used.  Being a tube guy does not mean I want warm and lush.  I want to hear the decay of a note, the fast transients, the harmonics of a string, the intimacy of detail, the black background of silence, the warmth of a voice, the woodiness of a reed and the space and separation of each instrument.  A good soundstage in important with placement of instruments where they belong.  I prefer vinyl to CD and do not have a computer or DAC as part of my primary rig.  Love my Martin-Logan speakers with the gear that precede them in the system. 

So if you have listening experience with either of the aforementioned amplifiers or something of similar caliber, particularly with the Senns or Audeze, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

May 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 3
Left to my own devices I picked up an Eddie Current 2a3 and after just a few listening sessions are absolutely pleased with the dynamics, the detailed presentation and overall performance with Sennheiser HD800's and Hifiman HE-500's.  But to reach a full assessment of this beautiful amp will require more listening.  It's a dark and lonely job, but someone has to do it...

Not much posted about this EC offering compared to BA and ZD.  Maybe the middle child syndrome?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back