Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
May 4, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,816 of 6,500
Are you trying to inflate the prices just for grins and giggles now that you have yours?  Let the people who have been watching and are waiting for a good deal have their good deal.

Two of the three I saw were buy-it-now, including the one he quoted from. The hype definitely ran the price up a bit there but that also means more people got motivated to sell. Plus if he hadn't kept going on about it I probably wouldn't have gotten one. At $400ish (+ at least $160 if you plan on using usb) they're getting toward the high end of what makes sense for such old gear but the Prime II that I have is very good if you don't need > 24/48 (or a warranty, or expectations of long life, etc.)

May 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #4,817 of 6,500
Two of the three I saw were buy-it-now, including the one he quoted from. The hype definitely ran the price up a bit there but that also means more people got motivated to sell. Plus if he hadn't kept going on about it I probably wouldn't have gotten one. At $400ish (+ at least $160 if you plan on using usb) they're getting toward the high end of what makes sense for such old gear but the Prime II that I have is very good if you don't need > 24/48 (or a warranty, or expectations of long life, etc.)

Of course. I wouldn't hurt someones chances at auction. I'll let it be though. They've been going for that price though since 2008 so I wouldn't jump to conclusions so fast

May 4, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4,818 of 6,500

I agree, while I'm sure they sound very nice, these prices are too high for older, and I assume difficult or impossible to service gear.

May 4, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #4,820 of 6,500

It's a solid recommendation for the price point sounds clear enough to me.

I'm very glad to hear that is a sufficient review of a new product for you.   Perhaps we were looking for two different things; let me clarify.  I would like to know at what level does this new product perform:  Does it trounce everything out there, beyond its price point?  If you can afford a more expensive portable DAC, at which point would you be gaining an appreciable difference in SQ to make the purchase worth it?  Is it possible that the prototype (@zerodeefex mentioned that he brought to the SF meet) had the hand picked components like the company's product page states about their top-of-the-line version and that might have added to the sound quality compared to the versions they'll be producing for the masses?  How does it compare to say, Schiit's latest-and-greatest Yggdrasil — something significantly larger, more expensive and definitely not portable?  Where would this fit in @purrin's scale of DACs ranked and rated at the beginning of this thread?

"Solid recommendation for the price point" may give you all those extra details, and so in that case, please take the time to enlighten anyone interested (myself included) with your extraordinary interpretive skills.

May 4, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #4,821 of 6,500
I'm an MOT now so unfortunately, I cannot say anything other than than awesomifier, impressive, or wowza, and then only in a nebulous non-comparative way.

May 4, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #4,823 of 6,500

I'm very glad to hear that is a sufficient review of a new product for you.   Perhaps we were looking for two different things; let me clarify.  I would like to know at what level does this new product perform:  Does it trounce everything out there, beyond its price point?  If you can afford a more expensive portable DAC, at which point would you be gaining an appreciable difference in SQ to make the purchase worth it?  Is it possible that the prototype (@zerodeefex mentioned that he brought to the SF meet) had the hand picked components like the company's product page states about their top-of-the-line version and that might have added to the sound quality compared to the versions they'll be producing for the masses?  How does it compare to say, Schiit's latest-and-greatest Yggdrasil — something significantly larger, more expensive and definitely not portable?  Where would this fit in @purrin's scale of DACs ranked and rated at the beginning of this thread?

"Solid recommendation for the price point" may give you all those extra details, and so in that case, please take the time to enlighten anyone interested (myself included) with your extraordinary interpretive skills.

Why in the hell would it compare with the Yggdrasil? 

But I understand you're extremely interested in this dac, so I'll let it be and hope you get the in-depth review you want.

I'm not claiming any extraordinary interpretive skills but that was the gist of the impressions. Just relax and you'll get a review maybe.

May 4, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,824 of 6,500
A few experienced headfiers listened to a dac yesterday at a meet and you are expecting a full-blown review. I agree with the "let's not get ahead of ourselves" imperative clause someone used earlier.

May 4, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #4,825 of 6,500

Why in the hell would it compare with the Yggdrasil? 

But I understand you're extremely interested in this dac, so I'll let it be and hope you get the in-depth review you want.

I wouldn't think that it would (compare well with it), but

Originally Posted by DecentLevi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

one of the head-fi'ers revolutionary discoveries: he tried the new Geek Out v2 (unreleased), and he thought it was better in terms of smoothness and soundstage than another DAC worth 20x more

That would seem to indicate (through hearsay, albeit) that this Geek Out V2 was in some ways one-upping another expensive, competing portable DAC — so hey — stranger things have happened.  I'm interested in knowing just how good it is because, why not? Portable, cheap, sounds interesting… I don't have a DAC at work or on the go with my laptop — and maybe I should, right?

This thread is called "... and why delta-sigma sucks."  As far as my ears can tell, there could be a lot of truth to that, but now ... "eat my shorts," wait? — that doesn't sound like sucky D-S; what's going on?  Is it even possible this new chip, or this company's implementation somehow makes D-S all of the sudden not suck?  Questions, questions.

Also, I have a Yggdrasil.  So far, I think it's great.  In fact, I would have to call it a solid recommendation for the price.

May 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #4,826 of 6,500
There's a preview of the new go2 on guru if you want a slightly more robust impression.

May 4, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4,828 of 6,500
Casey brought two Geek Out V2s. I stole one. They are NOT hand picked parts like the special versions. I've confirmed they're an early version of the production vanilla variant with non-final firmware and quickly 3D printed casing.

May 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,829 of 6,500
Why does the GO v2 suddenly have to compete with Yggdrasil, a desktop DAC with considerably more complexity in terms of design and build and - to my mind at least - a different target audience ? I find it curious that someone who was so keen to parrot @baldr and @purrin in slagging off ALL d-s designs is suddenly looking over their shoulder at a new FOTM which very few have even heard and which hasn't even made it into production yet. It's also particularly interesting given the preceding discussion re the merits of USB vs SPDIF, balanced vs SE and everything vs I2S : it would seem that LH have made your choices blindingly simple, even for the lucky 20 who manage to get one of the initial batch of 'Signature' GO v2 DACs. 

A dollar down and 298 more when it rolls off the production line:

or ~30K USD if you can find a dealer who has one ready to go. 

May 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4,830 of 6,500
For the sake of not being the evangelist for the Geek Out v2 this will probably be my last post on it until I get to try it. But you can find an in depth review here (in the middle of the page) from Bill-P at the head-fi meet.

Also I was sent a PM from another attendee who said he owns the HRT microstreamer, Audioengine D1 and D3, Centrance DACport, Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Resonnesence Herus, ODAC, Geek out 450/720/SE and it tops them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back