Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Apr 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,396 of 6,500
  Na, I really do try to use return policies in good faith. I only buy after extensive research and only return if I'm completely unhappy. If I get the Yggy, it's staying put until Schiit's next super duper uber monster DAC comes out.

Do it do it do it do it 
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,397 of 6,500
  Na, I really do try to use return policies in good faith. I only buy after extensive research and only return if I'm completely unhappy. If I get the Yggy, it's staying put until Schiit's next super duper uber monster DAC comes out.

I wasn't suggesting you do it maliciously. It's just good to know that if you really don't like the DAC you have some recourse.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,398 of 6,500

I wasn't suggesting you do it maliciously. It's just good to know that if you really don't like the DAC you have some recourse.

After re-reading your post, I caught your intention. I'm also a penny counter, so the $188 I would eat if I returned the Yggy could have gone towards a Gungnir.

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #4,401 of 6,500

'

First time the Theta put me to tears.. it was beautiful.. I haven't listened to many electronic music songs since using this DAC and just listened to Nero and was floored. How is this digital harshness not hurting my ears already?? I was hearing sounds not heard before.. bass control and impact unlike anything I have heard.. Do we blame it on our headphones when in reality it was our DAC all along?? Next LA /San Diego Head-fi meet you will hear this beast...

one problem with Theta, it makes music sound too good 
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #4,402 of 6,500
Well, I'm listening right now to the E-Mu 0202. 

Lol ........... 

What a piece of crap. 

No but seriously ... It's a chance that my first language is French and I don't know all the synonyms for "crappy" and "bad" in English, because that interface would get them all. 

Horrible. I can remember details I hear when listening to my Asus that are simply not there using this "audio interface".

Treble are horrible. Cymbals that I LOVE in some newer songs of Linkin Park are simply horrible. The instruments are not "divided" (découpés in French...), the soundstage is awful. You perceive absolutely nothing of the beauty of a song. Female voices are a lot too low. In brief, sound reproduction is terrible.

No seriously, I hope my friend was kidding me when he borrowed me that. 

Sure, it's "clearer" than the integrated chipset in my MacBook, but I even prefer it because it has less bass. The bass is simply too present on the E-Mu. 

Clearly a downgrade compared to my previous Asus Xonar STX. E-Mu is Creative branded, and it's not for nothing.... Creative was sinking at this time and is still. 

Can't believe this piece of crap was sold for 150 $. I'm sure the Schiit Fulla makes a better job than this for half the price it was sold.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #4,403 of 6,500
  Some other notable DACs in your $500-ish price range worth considering:
Gustard X12
HRT Music Streamer III

Some other notable amps to try, also worth around $500:
Gustard H10
Cavalli Liquid Carbon

Otherwise, the Schiit Modi 2 pairs quite well with the Schiit Vali, which is only about a $10 upgrade from the Magni 2.

I second that the Momentums are "really that bad". Bloated artificial bass and super bright treble with a fakey midrange, and these can's don't scale AT ALL, meaning they sound just as bad with cheap or expensive gear. YMMV.

PS- not to backslide or anything but I also have my doubts about Purrin being the Messiah - he was there at CanJam and I don't remember anything supernatural surround him. (LOL)

It would seem that Alex hasnt sold all the initial run of 500 LC amps - even so, waiting 4 months for your amp to arrive may not be everyone's cup of tea. Projected price for the LC when it goes into full production is 799USD - if the adulation afforded to Alex's amps here is any guide, that decision would seem to be a no-brainer. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #4,404 of 6,500
confused.gif

When the early announcements for Yggdrasil were made I could not help but think, "This will not be the most expensive product Schiit has ever made, it will be the least expensive Theta DAC ever made!" 

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,405 of 6,500

'

First time the Theta put me to tears.. it was beautiful.. I haven't listened to many electronic music songs since using this DAC and just listened to Nero and was floored. How is this digital harshness not hurting my ears already?? I was hearing sounds not heard before.. bass control and impact unlike anything I have heard.. Do we blame it on our headphones when in reality it was our DAC all along?? Next LA /San Diego Head-fi meet you will hear this beast...

confused.gif

The DAC can really make a difference. I was shocked at how differently the M51 presented things as compared with my Gungnir. Not going to proclaim one as better, I guess that is very subjective, but most certainly different. I had always read about the Gungnir being a bass monster, but I really just assumed that the amps and headphones were most responsible for this. Then I hear the M51 and the bass is so different, I was very surprised for sure.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #4,406 of 6,500

When the early announcements for Yggdrasil were made I could not help but think, "This will not be the most expensive product Schiit has ever made, it will be the least expensive Theta DAC ever made!" 

Hehe except the Progeny was $995 back in 94' and mine was upgraded bringing it up to $1200 or more. But it will be the least expensive statement DAC that has ever been made by "Theta" and if it outperforms the Gen V (which Purrin suggests it has) then it has succeeded in doing its job.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #4,407 of 6,500
I recall Purrin stating that the Yggy is capable of extracting plankton from any recording. There is also something to be said for tone.

They should have called the Yggy the "Baleen".  <ba dump tss!>

The Yggy seems just ... wow ! Incredible !!!!!

But I'm sorry I have to ask this question : 

A friend is trying to convince me that spending 2000 bucks on a Wyrd + Gungnir + Asgard 2 is a waste of money. 

He wants me to try his E-MU 0202 USB sound interface... http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=15186

I'm going to try it tonight, but any though on this ? I personally think that this would be a downgrade compared to my previous Asus Xonar Essence STX... And my little finger tells me that would be like day and night with a Schiit kit...

Am I right ?

That seems like an extraordinarily high amount to pay for that combo.  I know Jason and Mike are reading this, but I see no reason not to avail yourself of the discounted ones that flood the classifieds here.

To be more clear, I'm not worried about surges. I'll turn off my gear and unplug it during a storm. I'm more concerned with the occasional flicker or short interruption in power. A UPS has been recommended. Is that the consensus? Get a UPS? Or am I too OCD for my own good?

Yes, a UPS is the answer you seek.  Something like this is a pure sine wave one (as suggested earlier) and can be found much cheaper on eBay.  I've no first-hand experience with it, but I have been considering trying it...

Replacement Gustard U12 still doesn't work with my Theta.  :frowning2:  I emailed Kingwa for a quote on a DI-2014.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #4,408 of 6,500

No... No... No... I didn't imply all electronic music are of low resolution. Definitely not what I meant.

I think you would be surprised. Yggy is able to scrape off a lot more musical information than I thought ever existed in old 16/44 Redbook CDs. But then again, a decent amount of pop/rock from the 70s and 80s was well produced and recorded. Also Daft Punk sounds better on Yggy. Incredible bass slam and articulation*, separation, precise imaging. These are crucial to techno. There's no requirement for pristine recordings, although I think you get more back from them compared to mediocre recordings.

* Henceforth to be known as "Moffat Bass". I know you Theta owners know what I am talking about, especially on the higher-end units.

My acquisition of the Theta puts my lust for Yggy to sleep, indefinitely *

* As long as the Theta is able to work
biggrin.gif

At least you have a backup plan now for your Theta. Are you still visiting the Los Angeles area this summer?

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #4,409 of 6,500
Yes, a UPS is the answer you seek.  Something like this is a pure sine wave one (as suggested earlier) and can be found much cheaper on eBay.  I've no first-hand experience with it, but I have been considering trying it...

I actually have that Cyberpower for my desktop PC (the 1350VA version to be exact). One day I plugged just my Matrix X-Sabre DAC and Bryston BHA-1 amp to its battery outlets and it made the sound quality *worse* than straight from the wall. Collapsed soundstage, edgy, flat sound. Really blew my mind, I did not expect to hear any difference. This made me venture into audiofool territory and a few weeks ago I bought a used Furman IT Reference 7 (balanced isolation transformer). Another surprise! It made the DAC and amp sound better, like I don't want to take off the headphones from my head, the music "feels" good. Better soundstage/localization of instruments, and better/punchier bass. Never thought I would use these words to describe a power component, but here I am. What.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #4,410 of 6,500
  Hehe except the Progeny was $995 back in 94' and mine was upgraded bringing it up to $1200 or more. But it will be the least expensive statement DAC that has ever been made by "Theta" and if it outperforms the Gen V (which Purrin suggests it has) then it has succeeded in doing its job.

Why have you put quotes around Theta ? I get that it's not the same company as the current Theta Digital, but I thought most here grasped that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back