Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Feb 7, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,461 of 6,500
It is quite wise to wait for impressions once the initial new toy syndrome has worn off a bit. Having said that, it does not take 2 weeks to figure out when you hear a very special dac. It is that obvious when listening to familiar tunes, you get shocked at every new track
smily_headphones1.gif
Not talking about the Iggy per say, but if it is of the SQ level of my recent TotalDac purchase, you're in for a treat
smily_headphones1.gif

Arnaud

I hope the Yggy will offer that indeed.

But Since I tested by myself the Hugo and compared my own impressions to what I read here or there, I'm more and more reluctant to believe anyone (even the Messiah aka Purrin himself
biggrin.gif
) .

More seriously, Objective technical and sonic capabilities is one thing. Personal tastes is another. as Hans030390 said before, even the best dac in the world could be "too much of a good thing" for my casual listenings. I think we're several readers in the same boat to be afraid of a too much resolving DAC. I thing it's because we can't imagine a DAC who offers both emotion and resolution/detail and that's because resolutin is too often associated with harshness.

Wait and See. Dunno yet if I'll able to resist to be one of the primary buyer.. or not.

Indeed , the TotalDAC I heard thanks to Frédéric (Superfred21) is a dream machine who offer both refinement, and real timbres.  Hope the Iggy will compete for a fraction of the price. If not .A used totaldac A1 will be maybe the way to go for me. Dunno if the entry lever totaldac is better from a Metrum Octave or not though. 

For now, I've a Meier DACCORD to play with

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #2,462 of 6,500
You're on the right train.

I see so much discussion here about .0000001% differences, much perversion of theory, and also high equipment turnover.

This, when source recordings are mostly questionable.

At the end of the day, music is about enjoyment, not a science project.

Be more confident in your personal judgements as well as sound engineering, and you'll be happier!

They call it Audio Nervosa for a reason.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,463 of 6,500
  You're on the right train.

I see so much discussion here about .0000001% differences, much perversion of theory, and also high equipment turnover.

This, when source recordings are mostly questionable.

At the end of the day, music is about enjoyment, not a science project.

Be more confident in your personal judgements as well as sound engineering, and you'll be happier!

They call it Audio Nervosa for a reason.

One of the best comments I've red on years here :wink:

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #2,465 of 6,500

Depends upon what you are looking for. The Ultraanalog modules do have a certain sound, SF-D output caps and tubes can be rolled to produce slightly different sonics. Yggy is way cleaner sounding, more precise, and more resolving - on another level - yet not analytical either - still maintains the "R2R" sound. Get both. :)

Thanks for the info. As a result, I decided to get a Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 mk2 w/ SE+ upgrades which I should have on Monday. I'll likely get the Yggy as well but I'll wait until the exchange rate is more reasonable. 

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #2,467 of 6,500
The new Vi Dac from LH Labs is also very interesting Project. And, IMO.. Very good looking.

One fun feature: you can have SS & Tube output runing in the Same Time, booth connected to your Amp, and you then van switch from SS & Tube sound by switching your amp's input.

Does anyone has infos on this Baby or had a chance to listen to the prototype ?

4f66c82f_Capturedcran2015-02-0610.41.09.png

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2,468 of 6,500
The new Vi Dac from LH Labs is also very interesting Project. And, IMO.. Very good looking.

One fun feature: you can have SS & Tube output runing in the Same Time, booth connected to your Amp, and you then van switch from SS & Tube sound by switching your amp's input.

Does anyone has infos on this Baby or had a chance to listen to the prototype ?

4f66c82f_Capturedcran2015-02-0610.41.09.png

I heard it's gonna be delivered in 2018 and will look completely different from this picture...
By then, for the same price, we will have a black Yggy 2 and Ragnarok 2 with front power switch and remote control!

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,469 of 6,500
I heard it's gonna be delivered in 2018 and will look completely different from this picture...
By then, for the same price, we will have a black Yggy 2 and Ragnarok 2 with front power switch and remote control!

And DSD support :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,470 of 6,500

snip

Gungnir is five classes below Yggy. Also, keep in mind six months ago, there was no class E, E+, and one month ago, there was no class G. This has nothing to do with $500-$1500 or summit-fi or whatever. I do not grade DACs based on cost or compare only high-end stuff. As of today, I honestly feel everything in GS is crap. Crap being defined: I would not use it for serious listening at my temple of music speaker setup. But there are different levels of crap. IMO, the Gungnir, ranked at #6 leads the heap of crap. In other words, while I honestly feel the Gungnir is crap, it is better than the other crap.

snip

I appreciate your level-headed response, Purrin.  I just wanted to comment on this part because I think it's important.  What you said here about the Gungnir being crap but the best of the crap is still useful.  More useful than just calling it crap.  

beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,471 of 6,500
  Yggy destroys the Gungnir. Even more natural sound, but 100 times better clarity, resolution, micro-dynamics, holograph stage, etc. Schiit needs to update the Gungnir. I'm hoping Schiit will continue with their trend of offering updates (like on Bifrost). Maybe an Gungir Uber upgrade. Maybe trickle down tech from Yggy. FWIW, Theta offered upgrades (and followed through), so I am hoping the Schiit guys will. Gungnir is unlistenable now that I have SFD-1, Theta Gen V, and will have Yggy. Gungnir has now been relegated for my FireTV box.

Well, if the HE-1000 is priced above 3K $, then the Yggy will be my next piece. Not that the Gungnir is bad but I am kinda starting to miss the Sabre sound in certain ways [ie. resolution, details, realism, etc.] Yeah, bury me 5 feet under please 
wink.gif

The Yggy sounds like it plays in the same field as the msot detailed Sabre DACs with superior naturalness... I think I'd really like that 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,472 of 6,500
That is the essence of the DACs in that range - we end up trading certain attributes with another. I would say the Gungnir and the NFB you had before are opposites of each other - doing things well that the other doesn't and also doing things not so well that the other is good at.

The Yggy is a huge step-up in resolution than any Sabre DAC I have heard, although not quite as "detailed" on a gross level. Yggy is extremely extremely resolving, but not in your face kind of detail. The only problem is that only 10-20% of my recordings can take advantage of the resolution.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,473 of 6,500
@purrin, I'm getting some villagers and pitchforks together and we're coming round - tonight. One thing to attack the Hugo at it's original sticker, but the iDSD micro is 500 bucks, *** - let someone other than those in your ivory tower have a little fun with their audio toys, Major Killjoy .....  

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=8513610&postcount=26

Try that on for size, Mr Poopypants !  You got nothin', bro  :D

(forgot to add - I use the nano as a usb-spdif converter into my other DACs, including the Hugo - I like that level of functionality, but your mileage clearly varies)

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #2,474 of 6,500
Hey Purrin

Will you know how a Theta DS Pro Basic IIIa would stack up against the Theta Gen V-Va or the Sonic Frontiers
There's an opportunity for me to grab a used one, and am wondering if I should pull the trigger. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #2,475 of 6,500
  That is the essence of the DACs in that range - we end up trading certain attributes with another. I would say the Gungnir and the NFB you had before are opposites of each other - doing things well that the other doesn't and also doing things not so well that the other is good at.

The Yggy is a huge step-up in resolution than any Sabre DAC I have heard, although not quite as "detailed" on a gross level. Yggy is extremely extremely resolving, but not in your face kind of detail. The only problem is that only 10-20% of my recordings can take advantage of the resolution.

My main issue with the Gungnir is that certain instruments [even vocals] sound a bit soft in contrast to others and lack some energy I like, a bit smoothed over if you will.
I'd say the Gungnir's strengths are in the bass, lower midrange and lower treble, while the Sabre is good with upper midrange and upper treble and overall resolution/spaciousness.
Where do you think the Yggy lies tonally? Would you say it sits somewhere in between, close to neutral. I'd say the Gung is a bit dark due to the bit subdued upper treble/authoritative bass and the Sabre is a bit bright due to the bit emphasized upper treble/tight bass.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back