Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Dec 2, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,939 of 6,500
  purrin
oops... i forgot to tell you about some high end dacs that you didnt mention and compare as well....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725435/music-alchemists-ultimate-wish-list-thread-feel-free-to-add-your-own-items/30#post_11078578

will it ever end?
^-^

I could be wrong here, but I dont think his intention was ever to evaluate every high-end DAC on the planet and his last post made it pretty clear that he's lost interest in any further comparisons. As always I'm happy to hear otherwise. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,940 of 6,500
And yet this thread still lives...  Maybe some other informed 'golden' ear(s) can pick up the comparison torch as opportunity presents itself.  As long as the comparison basis is referenced to one or more of purrin's existing ranked/catagorized DACs on his list, it should be able to be expanded on by multiple contributors here.

I'll start: I think the Yugo rates an E. Oh wait... it's already ranked as an F, for Facebook. 
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,941 of 6,500
Hi Purrin,

Just wondering if you've heard any of the (admittedly more expensive) newer R2R Dacs as a comparison - something like the Total DAC, MSB Analogue or such-like ?

Purrin once stated on the audio-gd Master 7 DAC thread that using its HDMI LVDS I2S input through an Empirical Audio OR5 USB DDC sounded competitive with the MSB Analog DAC, which I thought a pretty heady comparison, given the price difference.  That premier position has now been usurped by the olde timey Sonic Frontier and Theda R2R DACs for him.  Not sure where that now puts the MSB DAC...  
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,942 of 6,500
Dec 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,943 of 6,500
Actually, purrin probably has a better chance at this point of auditing the MSB Analog (and/or better) DAC and TotalDAC, as well as better qualified to assess them against his extensive listening experience, than most of us.  All of us would like some empirical informed review of the discrete resistor laddar DACs relative to the present and former R2R chip DACs for conversion performance, given the price difference, and purrin has a demonstrated rating system to evaluate those differences, however subtle they may be at the high end, that everyone would give credit to.

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,944 of 6,500

Purrin once stated on the audio-gd Master 7 DAC thread that using its HDMI LVDS I2S input through an Empirical Audio OR5 USB DDC sounded competitive with the MSB Analog DAC, which I thought a pretty heady comparison, given the price difference.  That premier position has now been usurped by the olde timey Sonic Frontier and Theda R2R DACs for him.  Not sure where that now puts the MSB DAC...  
wink.gif

With headphones, the comparison between the two is closer. With speakers, the MSB Analog pulls ahead because the M7's relatively shallower depth of stage and softer hitting nature become more evident. I was actually in the market for an MSB Analog + power base when I owned the M7.

Since the SFD-1mk2 w/ SE+ upgrades and especially the Theta Gen V and Data III with ST/AT&T optical (and also audition of the Yggy), I now have absolutely zero interest in the MSB Analog or any other MSB DACs (yes, I've heard the $60K MSB DACs too) other than the cachet and bragging rights that goes with owning one. Spending that much on a DAC for bragging rights would be unwise anyways.

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,945 of 6,500

With headphones, the comparison between the two is closer. With speakers, the MSB Analog pulls ahead because the M7's relatively shallower depth of stage and softer hitting nature become more evident. I was actually in the market for an MSB Analog + power base when I owned the M7.

Since the SFD-1mk2 w/ SE+ upgrades and especially the Theta Gen V and Data III with ST/AT&T optical (and also audition of the Yggy), I now have absolutely zero interest in the MSB Analog or any other MSB DACs (yes, I've heard the $60K MSB DACs too) other than the cachet and bragging rights that goes with owning one. Spending that much on a DAC for bragging rights would be unwise anyways.

Purin, do you think the Theta GenVIII has the same sound character just as your Gen V ? Have you ever heard the Gen VIII ?

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,946 of 6,500
Absolutely not same. Gen VIII is totally different architecture. Isn't R2R and doesn't have Mike Moffat implemented secret sauce digital filter. Mike had been gone from Theta for 15 years or since when Gen VIII finally came out.

The most similar sound you will get to Gen V is Yggy (both have very unique trademark soundstage and timbre characteristics). I think I mentioned I got to compare both DACs side by side for a few hours. Except Yggy is like way more resolving than Gen V, which was in turn about as or more resolving as anything I've heard yet (Bricasti M1, EA Overdrive, PSA PWD2, Bezerkly Alpha2, Aurulac Vega, etc.)

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #1,947 of 6,500
  Except Yggy is like way more resolving than Gen V, which was in turn about as or more resolving as anything I've heard yet (Bricasti M1, EA Overdrive, PSA PWD2, Bezerkly Alpha2, Aurulac Vega, etc.)

Hi Purrin. I did not see your impressions of EA Overdrive on Page 1.  Would you be so kind to add this to your excellent list?  I'd be interested to read your thoughts and where it falls in the pecking order.  Best Regards.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,948 of 6,500
  Absolutely not same. Gen VIII is totally different architecture. Isn't R2R and doesn't have Mike Moffat implemented secret sauce digital filter. Mike had been gone from Theta for 15 years or since when Gen VIII finally came out.

The most similar sound you will get to Gen V is Yggy (both have very unique trademark soundstage and timbre characteristics). I think I mentioned I got to compare both DACs side by side for a few hours. Except Yggy is like way more resolving than Gen V, which was in turn about as or more resolving as anything I've heard yet (Bricasti M1, EA Overdrive, PSA PWD2, Bezerkly Alpha2, Aurulac Vega, etc.)

So Purrin, should I understand that if I can still wait a little before I buy a new DAC for my EC445, I should wait for the Yggy  rather than spending $10.000 on a MSB Analog DAC or more likely a TotalDac D1-Dual ?    

--> Do you believe Yggy & EC445 will have good synergy ? 

--> Any idea of the pricing ? is it R2R ? 

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #1,949 of 6,500

Hello Purrin ,   

I guess you're floating to the top of the "experienced" in DACs list of interested parties .  

You seem to be a Mike Moffat believer from way back in the day , I presume you know the man himself as you have access to the early prototypes .   The promise of a bright DAC future is about as good a Product Roll-out endorsement as exists for the Yggy , to date ( other than Mike's wife brought to tears from a brief exposure to the design !  
  Placing it in the same league with the Antelope , MSB Analog and Benchmark is effectively what you're doing here , I hope you're right , I hope Mike Moffat is right , I hope his wife is right , I hope Schiit gets a nice big Bases Clearing Home Run outa this DAC and I hope the darn thing makes it into Production .
 I personally think that nobody is gonna out-DAC those MSB people , that whole team in Watsonville are experienced Digital People , pricy ? , yea , very , better , certainly .  
 The  $2,500 Yggy price point is what's NEW here , Antelope have moved into this range , MSB can't , Benchmark are there too .  So , the performance winner will take all , in the consumer range ,  I'm thinking . 
We live in exciting times .

I'll be watching and buying , I'm hoping for Schiit , too ! 

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #1,950 of 6,500

Hi Purrin. I did not see your impressions of EA Overdrive on Page 1.  Would you be so kind to add this to your excellent list?  I'd be interested to read your thoughts and where it falls in the pecking order.  Best Regards.

The Empirical Audio Overdrive DAC is one of those that I haven't had a good amount of time with, so I didn't want to put it up there with a number ranking assigned to it. So instead of being 95% sure, it's more like I'm 80% sure. The Overdrive reminded me most of the Bricasti M1. I suspect the Overdrive uses AD1955 like on the Bricasti? I've been wrong before. But in comparison to Bricasti M1, a touch more resolving and focused, maybe leaner - the Bricasti has a slight warmth to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back