Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Sep 8, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,322 of 6,500

Nope

.. I just assumed.
triportsad.gif

Well, to me the Hugo sounds flat and lacking in dynamics. Before I would say the DAC section is worth 800$ max (but I understand you are paying a premium for the portability), but now I'm not sure how much the analogue circuitry is coming into play here... since the headphone out is quite bad.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,324 of 6,500
  If you like the Octave and are on the MK1 version, I'd say consider the MK2 (uses newer boards, supposedly good USB implementation), find something outside the Metrum line, or wait for a new product like the Yggy. I really liked the Hex, but given what you can get the Quad and Octave for, it's a pretty risky jump in price for a pretty similar sound, IMO.

Thats all I need to make my decision. I won't change my Octave mk I before finding and  hearing something really better . I don't really see in what the MkII could be a real upgrade since I use myself a transport for USB to SPDIF conversion.  I'd rather consider a transport upgrade maybe.  The audioGD DI-2014 eyes me up  with a lot of inputs & outputs and its inboard PSU.

@Purrin : You should put the Octave in your first page. I'm always very pleased ( aka touched by the finger of God ) when my personal gear is in the Messiah's favourites
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,326 of 6,500
  Don't disagree with if you the PSA PWDmk2 was one of the newer ones which only 2.10 or higher with confirmed odd behavior. Someone sent one of those to me to confirm how it sounded. Pretty bad. This is why I made it a strong point to only recommend the PWD1->PWD2 running fw 2.02/2.03. I also preferred the Hugo over the PSA DSD simply because I felt it had better tonal response with being as lean. I don't really care for the PSA DSD either.

Maccabbage felt the Hugo was better than the NAD M51. I totally can see why. Qutehd (without external PSU) and Oppo105 are nothing special.

But in terms of high performance two channel, people I know belong in two groups: sky's the limit (where the Hugo wouldn't be seriously considered) or cheap (DIY, tweaked DCX2496, Emotiva, etc.).

I did think the Hugo was better than the NAD M51. But keep in mind I was using it with my WA2 so could only use it single ended. Have heard from people that it sounds better balanced - unfortunately I didn't get to hear it balanced except for a brief listen through the HDVD600 

I am really looking forward to receiving my DNA Stratus and I'm hoping it will help me identify the differences between DAC's compared to the WA2. I think sometimes the WA2's over warm sound can get in the way choosing a DAC. 

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,327 of 6,500
  I did think the Hugo was better than the NAD M51. But keep in mind I was using it with my WA2 so could only use it single ended. Have heard from people that it sounds better balanced - unfortunately I didn't get to hear it balanced except for a brief listen through the HDVD600 

I am really looking forward to receiving my DNA Stratus and I'm hoping it will help me identify the differences between DAC's compared to the WA2. I think sometimes the WA2's over warm sound can get in the way choosing a DAC. 

anyone have an opinion on the metrum octave vs m51. also, has anyone heard the Questyle CAS192D DAC and can share their thoughts. cheers

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,328 of 6,500
I've heard the Qutehd with external psu that cost 400.00 I think from a well known power supply designer in a 2 channel setup... and qutehd is accepted by many high end 2 channel purists as a dac only with an extra psu, and the Hugo did better in the same setup. There was better timing, less noise, more emotional. It just sounded more high end and better balanced overall.

Also compared the PS Audio MK2 with a Audio quest NRG.3 Powercord plugged in, same amp, and ics, the Hugo blows it away in every way possible. It as running on nativeX. Mode. PS Audio by comparison just sounded amteurish, raspy, not clear, flat soundstage in comparison. And mk2 are known for soundstage amongst many owners.. Hugo in comparison was on another level.

The only reason I see as Hugo not being fit for 2 channel is that the amp section of the Hugo cannot be bypassed so it is running all the time, so even with an external amp, your speakers are being double amped all the time. I dont know how much this is a negative factor.. but if someone can chime in, it would be great.

Some of the dacs I have heard are, Arcam irdac, ps audio mk2, chord qutehd, OPPO 105 sabre32,auralic vega, lampizator big 7, ps audio directstream, ...

I would like to hear the metrum.. and the Schiit ygg, and willing to let go the Hugo only if the double amp problem is big enough..

Otherwise, I would keep it for a long time. Especially that I picked it up for 1,800.00

$1800 for a Hugo maybe accounts for his interesting head-fi feedback. :blink:

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #1,329 of 6,500

anyone have an opinion on the metrum octave vs m51. also, has anyone heard the Questyle CAS192D DAC and can share their thoughts. cheers

I have not head either of those sorry

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #1,330 of 6,500

• Metrum Octave mk2 (totally different sound though) (+ good transport or an old transport with a clock upgrade would be a nice touch)
  • Schiit Gungnir USB Gen 2 + Wyrd
  • Schiit Uberfrost USB Gen 2 + Wyrd
  • Lavry DA11 (maybe)
  • Schiit Wyrd + Modi (hard to beat price, Wyrd is not optional)
  • Matrix X-Sabre (Maxvla's recommendation)
  • AK120
  • Behringer DCX2496 (modified, and especially if used as an digital X-over)
  • Schiit Yggy

Now can you do DACs   2-5k please.
Still wondering what DAC to choose for GS-X DACT > Abyss/LCD-3. Thanks purrin. Love your work.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,331 of 6,500
Where are you people getting your hands on the Lampizator DACs ? Every Aussie I know who has one has spent bucket loads of cash just getting the thing from Poland - is there a reseller network in the states ?

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #1,332 of 6,500
Thats all I need to make my decision. I won't change my Octave mk I before finding and  hearing something really better . I don't really see in what the MkII could be a real upgrade since I use myself a transport for USB to SPDIF conversion.  I'd rather consider a transport upgrade maybe.  The audioGD DI-2014 eyes me up  with a lot of inputs & outputs and its inboard PSU.

@Purrin : You should put the Octave in your first page. I'm always very pleased ( aka touched by the finger of God ) when my personal gear is in the Messiah's favourites :D .

The MkII benefits more from a USB power supply than USB to SPDIF converters. I tested mine with the Audiophilleo 2 and the Halide Bridge. To my ears the ifi iUSB yielded the biggest improvement. If you have the MKI and a decent converter I wouldn't bother. Having said that, depending on the quality of your converter (if you could get a great price for it), it could actually work out cheaper to sell them, upgrade to the MKII and buy the power supply as they're relatively cheap compared to some of the higher end converters.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,333 of 6,500
The MkII benefits more from a USB power supply than USB to SPDIF converters. I tested mine with the Audiophilleo 2 and the Halide Bridge. To my ears the ifi iUSB yielded the biggest improvement. If you have the MKI and a decent converter I wouldn't bother. Having said that, depending on the quality of your converter (if you could get a great price for it), it could actually work out cheaper to sell them, upgrade to the MKII and buy the power supply as they're relatively cheap compared to some of the higher end converters.

I think I didn't understand all .  The octave MKI is not usb  powered . It has its own PSU .  if i didn't miss something , the MkII includes the PSU and the DAC itself in the same casing ?  so why speaking about usb power supply ? :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,334 of 6,500
I think I didn't understand all .  The octave MKI is not usb  powered . It has its own PSU .  if i didn't miss something , the MkII includes the PSU and the DAC itself in the same casing ?  so why speaking about usb power supply ? :)

Yes it has a PSU, of course, but it takes its power for the USB board from the computer it's connected to. Most DACs that operate in this way can benefit significantly from a USB power supply.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,335 of 6,500
Yes it has a PSU, of course, but it takes its power for the USB board from the computer it's connected to. Most DACs that operate in this way can benefit significantly from a USB power supply.

mmh my Octave MkI PSU is a 220V one and I plug it to my wall electrical outlet. No USB power . No USB intput at all :wink:

See picture below

Users who are viewing this thread

Back