Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Feb 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #421 of 6,500

Sounds like what you're looking for is the Gungnir. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never heard the Gungnir, but I had thought it might not be that big of a difference from the Bifrost?

I know the Bryston BDA-2 uses this same chipset and also has a XMOS USB interface, but it's also much more expensive. So much so you could buy a Gungnir and a top of the line USB to S/PDIF converter like the Audiophilleo to go with it. We do have a Bryston dealer here so maybe I will get a chance to demo the BDA-2.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #422 of 6,500

I've never heard the Gungnir, but I had thought it might not be that big of a difference from the Bifrost?

I know the Bryston BDA-2 uses this same chipset and also has a XMOS USB interface, but it's also much more expensive. So much so you could buy a Gungnir and a top of the line USB to S/PDIF converter like the Audiophilleo to go with it. We do have a Bryston dealer here so maybe I will get a chance to demo the BDA-2.

Ah o-k, cool.  I couldn't think of any DACs other than Gungnir that use AKM4399.  I'm not sure how Gungnir compares to Bifrost myself but I think with the Uber USB upgrade, the Bifrost has the same USB circuit as Gungnir.  As far as SPDIF converters go, I hear the Yellowtec Puck 2 Lite is supposed to be pretty good.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #424 of 6,500
  24/192 via something like off ramp or even a soundcard is better than usb at 32/384. i doubted it would be. i have to go kick myself. i don't know why everything is usb now.

You probably haven't heard any decent USB implementations. Off-ramp is USB too, but you know that. 
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #425 of 6,500
Was the PS audio PWD used with balanced outputs only? Can anyone give a comparison of the sound versus the single-ended outputs? Some of us are not fully balanced around here.:xf_eek:

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #428 of 6,500
  I just heard the off ramp at a store. isn't a device that takes usb and transforms it to spdif? I did not think it sent usb all the way to the dac? I am sorry I don't know this.

And this is exactly what USB DACs receivers do internally, converting usb to spdif or i2s. Didn't know there are any B&M stores selling off ramps. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #430 of 6,500
it is exactly what Andrew just said it is lol. i did not know this either. thank you Andrew. so how does it do dsd over spdif? i did not think most dacs could accept a dsd input signal on spdif? i am sure i am missing something again duh. at the store it was the owners own piece. he likes to speak highly of anything good. btw, i know what some of you think about dsd so if it doesn't do it i am not disappointed. i am guessing this is like a high end usb soundblaster(duh again). i am also guessing it is a better investment than the isubpower and gemini. more money as well. then again if a dac has good usb implementation and you use the isub stuff i really don't know. i don't know about plugging anything into a motherboard either. does not seem good.  i hope someone sets me straight here!

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #432 of 6,500
Was the PS audio PWD used with balanced outputs only? Can anyone give a comparison of the sound versus the single-ended outputs? Some of us are not fully balanced around here.:xf_eek:

I use mine with an ayre ax-7e and kef ls50 speakers.

The balanced output is leagues better than the single ended when used on the same amp, but the ax7e is a fully balanced design and works best in balanced anyway. Unsure about SE amps only

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #433 of 6,500
Thanks for the input guys. Interesting with the zana deux se vs. the mjolnir.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #434 of 6,500
Thanks for the input guys. Interesting with the zana deux se vs. the mjolnir.

depends on the headphones. Zana's on general principle would work well with the high impedance sennheisers whereas the mjolnir pairs well with Audezes.

Have you considered adding the BHA-1 to your list? Its a worthy mention- poor man's gs-x. Sounds great to boot with Planars

Feb 6, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #435 of 6,500
I'm pretty happy with the amps I have(actually tickled pink) and the headphones are not conducive to swapping cables, but never say never right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back