Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff)
Jun 10, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #5,686 of 6,500
You think the Yggy is all about that recycled megaburritto filter to avoid huge costs in designing a better filter?

• Still a custom filter. Not cheap. They still needed a guy to code for the SHARC. I met that guy. It's not like you can copy code meant for Motorolas from twenty years ago. Lots of other stuff too to code too, e.g. in loading up bits in sequence to the AD5791 since AD5791 is not an audio chip and doesn't take native digital audio formats. Algorithm is one thing, actual coding / implementation of an algorithm is another. Schiit took an extremely difficult path to make that DAC. This of course does not make the efforts of others like Chord any less significant.
  • FWIW, the custom filters of other DACs out there are also based on existing algorithms.
  • Why change something that works well? there's a reason why GM stuck with its pushrod motor with the Vette despite it being "old" technology. in both cases, the implementations are new takes on old stuff.
  • Finally, if you've actually written software or firmware, or even designed something simple, you would understand. Dude, please just give it a rest. Seriously, just shut the **** up because it's obvious you don't know what the **** you are talking about. It's one thing if you are trying to understand, but you are just being a ******** armchair DAC designer. In the end, it's all about sound. What does it matter to you if you haven't heard it, don't plan on hearing it, don't even plan on buying it, or can't afford to buy it. If you smell ****, say so once and please move on.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #5,687 of 6,500
You think the Yggy is all about that recycled megaburritto filter to avoid huge costs in designing a better filter?

Please explain to me how it is recycled, in specific points (platform, number of taps, coefficient precision, interface, etc) since you clearly know more about the development than we do. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #5,688 of 6,500

In the interests of making this forum as fluid and easy to read as possible, I'd like to suggest that people shouldn't quote entire (large) posts, particularly when their point or question doesn't really relate to anything in the quote; it's very lazy and unnecessarily fills up page space.

I would suggest just quoting the relevant text, and omitting the irrelevant, rather than re-displaying the entire post. There is a link, next to the quoted users name, if readers want to view the entire original post.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #5,689 of 6,500
Oh so now the megaburrito filter is cheaped out. Man, what happened to make you so bitter ? The filter of your dream has responded to your sollicitations ?

Or maybe you've switched to another one ...  Let me guess it's the Chord one, right. So many taps, it's just tapalicious

No, not bitter at all. Just not anyone's dog, nor bat.

Instead of you looking at it as something bitter, look at it as a sweet opportunity to point out positive stuff about the Yggy.

I'm actually thinking of buying the Yggy, or at least trying it out, and I'm hoping I could get that final push to try it out. My current DAC IMHO is very good, and I'm looking for a substantial improvement.

And I'm really wondering that my queries before and now are never answered directly and just met with personal arguments and ad hominems. So color me not bitter, but just skeptical and potential believer.

My question can be rephrased like this--Does Yggy's claimed excellent natural, organic, realistic and analogue-like sound can be materially be attributable to that mega burrito filter? And how/why?

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5,691 of 6,500
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,692 of 6,500
My question can be rephrased like this--Does Yggy's claimed excellent natural, organic, realistic and analogue-like sound can be materially be attributable to that mega burrito filter? And how/why?

Who ******* cares? Really, does it matter? Its every ******* thing inside the Yggy (or any other DAC) matters. The huge transformers, the huge choke, the shunt regulators, SPDIF / USB receivers. Precision DAC chips. EVERY ******* THING matters. The filter is just a part of it. Like the valve train in an engine of a complete car.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #5,693 of 6,500
  Who ******* cares? Really, does it matter? Its every ******* thing inside the Yggy (or any other DAC) matters. The huge transformers, the huge choke, the shunt regulators, SPDIF / USB receivers. Precision DAC chips. EVERY ******* THING matters. The filter is just a part of it. Like the valve train in an engine of a complete car.

ROFL

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #5,697 of 6,500
There is a lot of reading to be done on this thread for people to catch up to what is going on. I fall into the category of people that has heard/own what these DACs are capable of. I guess that makes me not a skeptic but someone with first hand experience so I can understand why there is a lot of questions being asked and confusion.

Just go to a Head-fi meet and if you don't live near a major city, well then buy a plane ticket and head out to one. You might end up saving a lot of money with less questions and buyers remorse.

Like what Purrin said.. open up the internals of a "statement" DAC. For example... I have pictures of my Progeny and Berkeley Alpha DAC side-by-side somewhere in these forums(internals). Look at the size of these things... these generally aren't small box solutions. It is not just a DSP filter and chip that makes something sound "analog" and dynamic. It is the sum of all parts.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5,698 of 6,500
Diamondears, this is for you.........   Use it sparingly   or not.

btw, have heard the Yggy and,   -------------       LOVED it.   
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back