Thoughts on 4g iPod
Aug 16, 2004 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
After lurking in the shadows for months, I finally registered and decided to post, now that I've got an mp3 player, a 4G 20gb iPod. I wasn't planning on jumping on the bandwagon, but my aunt just showed up and gave me a brand new iPod, and I sure as hell wasn't gonna kick a gifthorse in the nuts.
eggosmile.gif

It looks great, and the click wheel is just fun to use. The menu interface is really easy, I can almost navigate in the dark sans backlight after just a few days. I can't imagine any other player being as easy to use as the iPod. I've mostly been listening to laptop speakers, or MX500s through the laptop, so the upgrade in sound quality for me is ridiculous. The EQ presets seem fairly useless to me, but that's just me. The games and other extras are pretty pointless. Basically, the iPod just plays music and lacks many features that seem standard on most other DAPs (e.g. FM, recording). Personally, I just want to listen to music, so all that other stuff isn't important to me.

A few other thoughts:

The metal back on the iPod scratches very easily, and imo, definitely requires some sort of protection. iTunes is pretty easy to use, but drag and drop in windows explorer would be so much better. Also, the 20gb doesn't come with a dock, which is irritating, just more money I have to shell out.

Overall, I think the iPod is a great player, good sound quality, incredibly intuitive to use. Don't know how I lived without an mp3 player for this long.

btw, just wanted to say that the forum is great, been browsing it for awhile now, I hope I can give a little back.

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Congratulations... and in a few more months you'll wonder even more how you did without it! But you captured the essence of my own conclusions: that is, its not about gimmicks and gadgets but good sound quality and your pretty much your whole music collection in one package.

So, thinking of upgrading those MX500s yet?
biggrin.gif
Its a slippery road for your wallet if your not careful!!!

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Why do they keep using that metal back? I've heard more complaints about that than the rest of the iPod combined, and yet Apple resleases newer and newer iPods with the same shiny finish. I don get it, boss.

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Congrats on your purchase and welcome officially to Head-Fi.

I agree most of the extras aren't near necessary, thought I gotta admit the contacts option is a nice plus. When it was added to the first gen (by firmware) awhile back, I sold my Palm soon after.

Also FM recording (hell... FM playback) would be great, but most of the implementations currently don't have the best reception so use is debatable in most situations. The iPods Audible audiobook playback is another extra, and the speed adjustment (without pitch changes) introduced on the fourth gen is another good thing.

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
So, thinking of upgrading those MX500s yet?
biggrin.gif
Its a slippery road for your wallet if your not careful!!!

Been wanting to upgrade ever since I got the MX500...Probably gonna end up spending more on headphones than I'm paying in tuition right now, but what can ya do...
eggosmile.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Crandall
Been wanting to upgrade ever since I got the MX500...Probably gonna end up spending more on headphones than I'm paying in tuition right now, but what can ya do...
eggosmile.gif

seeing as how no one gave you the official greeting yet...

"Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet."

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 10
<== Wonders if it is possible to clear-coat (from an aerosol can) the back of the iPod without it looking like ass.

Has anyone tried this?

Aug 17, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Somewhere on ipodlounge there's a how-to about brushing the steelback; of course it might do nasty thnigs to your warrant, but it seems to make it look a lot better.
I tried to find it but couldn't, but sure it can be found somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back