Thoughts Akg k240 mkII vs Akg Q701
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 42
The Q701 to me still sounds good out of an ipod or iphone, but they get better with more power.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #18 of 42
@Jasonb: i noticed that the description of the Q701 on the akg site states that the Arches are metal. I am guessing that the arches they are talking about are the bands that carry the wire to the right speaker. Are the arches on your headphones indeed metal? I ask because mine are clearly a plastic material. Also, two wires that came with my headphones have black skuff marks and have a sticky texture to them. I feel as though someone raped the wire in electrical tape and then removed the tape. I have tried wiping them off with some mild soap but they are still sticky. I may return the cables because I find this to be bothersome and somewhat unexceptable. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

@Saleri: I am very much leaning towards the Objective 2 amp from JDS labs (unless someone can give me good reason to get a different amp). I am just wondering if I should get a dedicated DAC such as the odac from jds labs, or use the one from my audio interface. I looked into this but can't seem to get a reasonable answer.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #19 of 42
The arches dont feel or sound like metal. Seems more like a hollow plastic to me. 

Many people report scuffs on the cables. Ive never noticed anything out of the ordinary on mine though.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #21 of 42
Yea I can handle the scuff marks but these cables are really sticky. I mean after handling the cables I feel like I need to wash my hands!
confused_face(1).gif
I tried cleaning them off with a mild soap but still just as sticky as before. @jasonb are your cables sticky at all?

@Saleri. Where did you hear the magni/modi combo sounds "a lot" better? Thanks.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #22 of 42
Funny my path is almost same as yours but i started with ad700 phones. I just ordered a couple days ago q701 from ebay harmon site and was down to the wire on 02 or magni amp. This maybe wont help you but my decision came down to looks and the magni having the connections in the back of the unit instead of the front. From everything I've researched they come so close in sound you can afford to go on reasons other than sound.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:
Yea I can handle the scuff marks but these cables are really sticky. I mean after handling the cables I feel like I need to wash my hands!
confused_face(1).gif
I tried cleaning them off with a mild soap but still just as sticky as before. @jasonb are your cables sticky at all?

@Saleri. Where did you hear the magni/modi combo sounds "a lot" better? Thanks.

Nope

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 42
Well I have contacted harmanaudio ebay store and they are not very helpful or responsive. I am so far disappointed with their customer service as it is almost non existent. Not sure what my next step is, may have to return the whole thing and get something else. I don't mess with companies that don't treat their customers with respect they deserve. 

On a lighter note: Have any of you guys heard about the Aune T1? Looks somewhat promising. Let me know if you have any thoughts this amp.

I am going to compare the Q701 to the MKII real soon...

UPDATE: I got an email from harman audio stating they are sending 2 new cables my way with no charge. Problem solved.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 42
AKG Q701 vs AKG K240 MKII

Both headphones are compared using an ipod touch.

K240 MKII:

I had a lot fun listening to these headphones. I found myself asking, "if these headphones sound this good how much better will the Q701 sound?" I was not disappointed with the MKII especially at the price I got them (105 dollars). I did feel the bass was a little lacking, but nevertheless, sounded clean and accurate. Overall I felt the sound signature was flat in terms of EQ. In fact compared to the Q701 I would say the MKII is more neutral and I can see why they are popular for mixing. The sound stage is small at best. This is where the Q701 trumps the MKII in terms of listening experience. This is not to say that there is no instrument separation. I could hear individual instruments; in other words, certain instruments such as a bass line where not lost under the rest of the music. It's just that the instruments do not have a unique position. The headphones are also very clean and clear. I was able to hear subtle nuances I never heard before in many songs. However, Q701 beats the MKII in this regard as well.

Q701:

First I would like to say that the bass in these headphones is absolutely sufficient for the metal genre. Why anyone has come to the opposite conclusion is a mystery to me. I feel that the bass in the Q701 is actually augmented compared to the MKII. It isn't a huge increase, but enough to sway someone toward the Q701 for the extra bass. And of course it depends of the recording. While listening to the Smiths I hardly notice very much bass response. However, listening to Opeth and suddenly the bass opens up. In other words, if the track was mastered with more bass then you will hear it just fine with the Q701. If you want lots of artificial bass you most likely are looking for closed back headphones anyway. Just to be clear, the MKII has neutral bass response where as the Q701 adds a little extra.  

As mentioned above the Q701 trumps the MKII in sound stage. While mastering you don't really want a headphone that has a large sound stage which is why MKII is most likely better for that situation. However, for listening pleasure, the Q701 sound stage is a greatly appreciated addition. While listening to Nirvana Unplugged, I closed my eyes and had the feeling I was there! I can not only notice the instrument separation, but also the position of a particular instrument. Where this gets interesting is with drums. Sometimes it sounds like there is more then on person playing percussion, all in different locations. Don't be turned off by this. It is a good thing in my opinion. Speaking of drums, I have never heard drums so good through speakers or headphones. I love noticing intricate high hat work that I never noticed before, or could not make out. The bass drum is very clean and noticeable. With the Q701 the bass drum rarely gets lost with the bass guitar unless there is mastering issues. As far as clarity goes, I will just say this, I can make out what Eddie Vedder is singing 80% of the time now. LOL. But yes, vocals are even clearer on the Q701 then with the MKII. 

Final Thoughts:

Now, despite the positive feedback I have given on the Q701 I want to say these headphones really need to be amped. Even more so then the MKII which also would also benefit from an amp. I plugged the Q701 into a Fiio E07K and every positive point mentioned above on the Q701 becomes even more of a dramatic difference. If you don't want to get an amp, and the choice is between the Q701 and MKII then I would suggest the MKII. Although Q701 does have increased sound quality out of an ipod compared to the MKII it is not worth the extra cost in my opinion. To get the benefit of spending close to 300 dollars on the Q701 you need an amp and a good dac. If you just want a go to headphone without having to purchase "extras" MKII is a great choice in my book. Add a little EQ in itunes and your golden.

In the end I am happy that I upgraded to the Q701. Granted I got mine for 200 dollars. If I had spent more the 250 I most likely would have been less impressed as far as performance/cost ratio compared to the MKII even with the Q701 amped.

As a side note the Fiio E07K is not really enough power for the Q701 in my opinion, but I bet it would be great with the MKII. I returned the E07K and waiting for the new Apogee One to be released. That device seems to fit my bill well since I record guitar. I most likely will have to still buy a separate amp.

I hope this write up was helpful and not confusing.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #29 of 42
Great little review and comparison. I agree totally, especially the parts I highlighted. Glad somebody else is also enjoying Opeth on a Q701. 

Quote:
AKG Q701 vs AKG K240 MKII

Both headphones are compared using an ipod touch.

K240 MKII:

I had a lot fun listening to these headphones. I found myself asking, "if these headphones sound this good how much better will the Q701 sound?" I was not disappointed with the MKII especially at the price I got them (105 dollars). I did feel the bass was a little lacking, but nevertheless, sounded clean and accurate. Overall I felt the sound signature was flat in terms of EQ. In fact compared to the Q701 I would say the MKII is more neutral and I can see why they are popular for mixing. The sound stage is small at best. This is where the Q701 trumps the MKII in terms of listening experience. This is not to say that there is no instrument separation. I could hear individual instruments; in other words, certain instruments such as a bass line where not lost under the rest of the music. It's just that the instruments do not have a unique position. The headphones are also very clean and clear. I was able to hear subtle nuances I never heard before in many songs. However, Q701 beats the MKII in this regard as well.

Q701:

First I would like to say that the bass in these headphones is absolutely sufficient for the metal genre. Why anyone has come to the opposite conclusion is a mystery to me. I feel that the bass in the Q701 is actually augmented compared to the MKII. It isn't a huge increase, but enough to sway someone toward the Q701 for the extra bass. And of course it depends of the recording. While listening to the Smiths I hardly notice very much bass response. However, listening to Opeth and suddenly the bass opens up. In other words, if the track was mastered with more bass then you will hear it just fine with the Q701. If you want lots of artificial bass you most likely are looking for closed back headphones anyway. Just to be clear, the MKII has neutral bass response where as the Q701 adds a little extra.  

As mentioned above the Q701 trumps the MKII in sound stage. While mastering you don't really want a headphone that has a large sound stage which is why MKII is most likely better for that situation. However, for listening pleasure, the Q701 sound stage is a greatly appreciated addition. While listening to Nirvana Unplugged, I closed my eyes and had the feeling I was there! I can not only notice the instrument separation, but also the position of a particular instrument. Where this gets interesting is with drums. Sometimes it sounds like there is more then on person playing percussion, all in different locations. Don't be turned off by this. It is a good thing in my opinion. Speaking of drums, I have never heard drums so good through speakers or headphones. I love noticing intricate high hat work that I never noticed before, or could not make out. The bass drum is very clean and noticeable. With the Q701 the bass drum rarely gets lost with the bass guitar unless there is mastering issues. As far as clarity goes, I will just say this, I can make out what Eddie Vedder is singing 80% of the time now. LOL. But yes, vocals are even clearer on the Q701 then with the MKII. 

Final Thoughts:

Now, despite the positive feedback I have given on the Q701 I want to say these headphones really need to be amped. Even more so then the MKII which also would also benefit from an amp. I plugged the Q701 into a Fiio E07K and every positive point mentioned above on the Q701 becomes even more of a dramatic difference. If you don't want to get an amp, and the choice is between the Q701 and MKII then I would suggest the MKII. Although Q701 does have increased sound quality out of an ipod compared to the MKII it is not worth the extra cost in my opinion. To get the benefit of spending close to 300 dollars on the Q701 you need an amp and a good dac. If you just want a go to headphone without having to purchase "extras" MKII is a great choice in my book. Add a little EQ in itunes and your golden.

In the end I am happy that I upgraded to the Q701. Granted I got mine for 200 dollars. If I had spent more the 250 I most likely would have been less impressed as far as performance/cost ratio compared to the MKII even with the Q701 amped.

As a side note the Fiio E07K is not really enough power for the Q701 in my opinion, but I bet it would be great with the MKII. I returned the E07K and waiting for the new Apogee One to be released. That device seems to fit my bill well since I record guitar. I most likely will have to still buy a separate amp.

I hope this write up was helpful and not confusing.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #30 of 42
Dude you would really need some serious amplifcation for those pair. I have a K701 and listen to the same kind of music as you, the odac/o2  combo would be a little too bass-shy, and the sound will be too thin to be enjoyed. Didn't hear any Schiit products yet, but it seems like the magni/modi combo won't have enough current to drive these. Do some research on DIY amp like AMB M3, or Dynalo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back