Thought on DT880 and DT990.
Aug 3, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's absolutely no need to buy 990's You can convert 880 to 990 in 5 minutes... Well, you can convert 990 to 880 too, but it will take more than 5 minutes.

So they use the same drivers I guess? How do you do that?

Anyone know how the 600 Ohm version of the DT880 compares to the 250 Ohm?

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

So they use the same drivers I guess? How do you do that?

Yes, a widely known that 250ohm versions 770\880\990 based on same driver.

Quote:

How do you do that?

The only difference between 880 and 990 is that 880 have layer of felt in front of the driver to tame the highs and the net behind the driver damping the bass.

Quote:

Anyone know how the 600 Ohm version of the DT880 compares to the 250 Ohm?

Depends on amplification. In right setups they're equally good.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, the 990 is better sounding than the 880.

I've had the 990s and listened to the 880s for a weekend. The 990s sounded better to me. I use a NAD C542 CD player and a PPA headphone amp with OPA 627s. Nevertheless, I liked them both. A lot.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only difference between 880 and 990 is that 880 have layer of felt in front of the driver to tame the highs and the net behind the driver damping the bass.

It's amazing how these two little changes can affect the sound. When I listen to both, the difference is not just the highs or the lows, but also the soundstage. The DT880 seems to be narrower and the DT990 wider...

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #20 of 28
I own 880 ('03 version) and 990 ('05 version), as well as the AKG 701, all of which I use with Benchmark DAC1 as source/amp.

I prefer the 880 because its lesser midbass makes it sound more transparent and actually a bit more trebly than the 990. Also lower bass seems deeper. (Remember this is the '03 version.)

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #21 of 28
Hey Aura, in what is the DT990 Mediocre?, i am still waiting your response, which you say that the DX1000 is vastly superior to it, and that you say that the DX1000 compared to it is pointless, please explain....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the DT990 sounded very mediocre when I heard it a few months back. Then again, I'm no fan of the DT770 either, so perhaps the Beyer presentation just does not fit me at all.

Regardless, I still want to demo an 880 at some point.

Yes, head crushing bass (when well driven with a powerfull amp), but it doesn't sound as mud as someone said before..., pure bullsh!t....
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
head-crushing bass, you say? well, in that case I need to audition a pair asap
biggrin.gif
!

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #22 of 28
i never experienced "head-crushing" bass with my dt990, some people have really sensitive ears to bass i guess? i think it's pretty balanced.

the one thing that bothers me about the dt990 is the sibilance. i think i'll try adding a layer of felt in front of the driver, similar to the dt880's driver.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #23 of 28
Can be a good idea that of the layer of felt. But, i need to see some images of that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never experienced "head-crushing" bass with my dt990, some people have really sensitive ears to bass i guess? i think it's pretty balanced.

the one thing that bothers me about the dt990 is the sibilance. i think i'll try adding a layer of felt in front of the driver, similar to the dt880's driver.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #24 of 28
I had the dt990s with the headfive amp (dt990 - 32 ohm version). Out of either my ipods line out or basic samsung and pioneer dvd players to the headfive, the sound was just blah to me. Very flat, dry and uninvolving mids. Highs were extra strong when the recordings hit the area where the dt990s have their peak (I think around 9khz). The bass was pretty good but nothing very special. It wasn't as overbearing as many might think though.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 28
Taking the DT880's for the DT990's is a big misconception. In DT990's and DT770's there is no sweetness in the midrange region which you get with the DT880's. The DT880's have flatter frequency response than any other Beyerdynamic based on these drivers. For me they're obvious choice over the ATH-AD2000's due to more natural bass but I'd choose RS2, RS1 or GS1000 over any of them.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #26 of 28
But it (the 32[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Ω[/size][/size]) is not comparable with the 250[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Ω, because there is less resistance ([/size][/size]32[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Ω[/size][/size][size=xx-small][size=x-small])[/size][/size], is obvious that that headphone sounds very loud/amplified (shrill/very bright) with an amp as the headfive in all his frecuencies and even the bass can get distorted if the volume gets loud. Besides, the Arietta is better than the headfive, even thus, it is not the best amp for the DT990, maybe with the 32[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Ω[/size][/size][size=x-small] version or even if there was a 80[/size][size=xx-small][size=x-small]Ω version. It feel a little underpowered, specially in the mids[/size][/size].
Said that the mids are dry is pure bulsh!t.
I listen a lot of female vocal music (Jpop), and the mids are very sweet/delicate sounding and lifelike (can be thanks to my Xmod and CMSS3D in a middle setting (it open up the mids and give more presence), without it, they sound a little subdued and a little muffled).
Yes, the mids aren't the strong point in this headphone (are a little laidback in the upper range), but they aren't slouch either.
Yes, the highs are strong, but for that is the EQ (a little Db less with treble emphatized music or bad quality recordings) helps.
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the dt990s with the headfive amp (dt990 - 32 ohm version). Out of either my ipods line out or basic samsung and pioneer dvd players to the headfive, the sound was just blah to me. Very flat, dry and uninvolving mids. Highs were extra strong when the recordings hit the area where the dt990s have their peak (I think around 9khz). The bass was pretty good but nothing very special. It wasn't as overbearing as many might think though.

Obviously, the DT880 sacrifices bass quantity and slam (even a little bit of extension), and treble extension/quantity for midrange. It is as a balance/scales; and as a kind of equivalence. Is sacrificed something for a another thing to get/reach a balance, is as all....
At ,the same that i said above about the midrange, applies here too to your opinion about the midrange....
If the DT990 didn't exist, The DT880 '05 would be my chosen open headphone, specially for his price in that time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking the DT880's for the DT990's is a big misconception. In DT990's and DT770's there is no sweetness in the midrange region which you get with the DT880's. The DT880's have flatter frequency response than any other Beyerdynamic based on these drivers. For me they're obvious choice over the ATH-AD2000's due to more natural bass but I'd choose RS2, RS1 or GS1000 over any of them.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 28
Wilashort,
i am not including eq in my impressions since i feel that top tier cans from a manufacturer shouldn't be messed with using eq. I feel that if something is wrong, its time to sell then buy a new one. Its just my opinion though, I am not forcing that policy i have on anyone
biggrin.gif
About the 32 ohm model being different from the 250 ohms, i don't know since i havent heard the latter. Based on what Jan meier told me, the differences between the 32 and 250 are almost irrelevant. Others also say the only the 600 ohm version is a big improvement.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #28 of 28
Yes i known, but how i said above, there are bad recordings that inevitably Force you to do that.... and that isn't culprit of the headphone. Yes it is very extended and bright (can be the Pro version and 32 ohm vers...) but not as much people here exaggerate.
Ah, what case there is to exist then an 250 ohm version, if both sound the same?.knowning that the 250 ohm version is harder to drive, is a sillyness in that case....
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilashort,
i am not including eq in my impressions since i feel that top tier cans from a manufacturer shouldn't be messed with using eq. I feel that if something is wrong, its time to sell then buy a new one. Its just my opinion though, I am not forcing that policy i have on anyone
biggrin.gif
About the 32 ohm model being different from the 250 ohms, i don't know since i havent heard the latter. Based on what Jan meier told me, the differences between the 32 and 250 are almost irrelevant. Others also say the only the 600 ohm version is a big improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back