Thought I had my mind made up!
Sep 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
After doing extensive research and asking for advice, I decided to buy the Super.fi 5 Pro headphone by Ultimate Ears.

But now i've learned that there is a new model, super.fi 5 (without the pro) that is cheaper, smaller, looks better, and may even sound better!!!

can anyone shed some light on this issue? do they really sound better? help me make my purchase with a sound mind.
biggrin.gif

Thank you!!!

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 9
it's most likely only thought to sound better because it's newer. Newer doesn't = better

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's most likely only thought to sound better because it's newer. Newer doesn't = better

The better sound statement came from one of the experts here with over 10,000 posts...i think maybe even 15,000!
jecklinsmile.gif
he said the new super.fi even triumphs the triple.fi in some aspects sooo i am totally confused.

anyone else who has tried both care to share??

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
best is if u can try it. choose which is best to your ears. that's what all matter
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I could do that! I haven't found any stores that demo IEMs though and am weary about paying a 10%-15% return fee....sighs. thus i am counting on a general consensus from you guys.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could do that! I haven't found any stores that demo IEMs though and am weary about paying a 10%-15% return fee....sighs. thus i am counting on a general consensus from you guys.

I'm not sure I would want to demo a public pair of IEMs
eek.gif
I will only purchase from stores that have liberal return policies.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 9
You just change the sleeves.

As for the SF5 (non Pro), I owned them and found them a nice value for $150 or so. I returned them to UE though, because they were not up to the level I wanted in a backup IEM (to my Sleeks). So I got lucky and picked up some Klipsch Image X10s for $190. But the SF5s are nice, very stylish. I didn't like the silicone sleeves, so I used Comply T400s with them, an added expense ($20 for 5 pair).

Oh, you can return any phones to UE or Amazon, for a refund, within 30 days.

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 9
I have the Super fi-5 v2 and the Triple fi-10 and the 5s do sound great but I don't believe they match the Triples in any regard. But my ears aren't as calibrated as some of the others, I can't hear some really fine detail or can't discern them. I willsay, I know who it is that gave that opinion about them being better than the Triples in some aspects and his reviews are generally very good and comprehensive. I based my acquisition on what he said and I haven't been disappointed.

I have never heard the 5 Pros so I can't compare the 5 v2 to them but I can say they do come close to the Triple fi10s and are a very high quality sounding canalphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back