Those who own the hf5's
Aug 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 15
Alright, thank you! Do you know anything about the Klipsch image s4 by any chance? I've owned them before, but the cables snapped on them because they got caught on my locker, im debating if i should rebuy them, considering they seemed to sound really good for the price of 79$

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
How exactly do they sound with hip-hop, rap, and other bassy music genres? Do they still provide any amount of bass? Explain that to me please, and thank you!

The HF5s will not suite you for these genres, all I'm going to say.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Alright, thank you! Do you know anything about the Klipsch image s4 by any chance? I've owned them before, but the cables snapped on them because they got caught on my locker, im debating if i should rebuy them, considering they seemed to sound really good for the price of 79$

Yep, ive had the S4's. I quite like their sound and feel they are one of the best sound/price IEMs. DUNU Tridents are also fantstic but the S4 has better high end but bass and mids on the Tridents I liked better.

If you can get the S4 for around $50, go for them otherwise, try out the $35 Tridents.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 15
the s4's had serious durability imho, I would try and find a more durable phone especially for the price

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
the s4's had serious durability imho, I would try and find a more durable phone especially for the price

I never had problems with my S4's but I do agree there were relatively more reports of durability issues.

In which case, the Tridents may suit well as they sound really good, are priced great and are built like a tank.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 15
I'd have to say +1 on the Tridents or Hephaes (more Trident due to bang for buck).  Also other models to consider:
  1. UE 500s have some of the best textured bass I've heard in a while.  Lacks in the mids and highs though, especially in comparison to HFs.
  2. If you have the money, the Brainwavz B2s.  With a proper seal they have really beautiful lows.  Good texture, but great impact (especially for BAs) and quantity is just about right.  The mids will be lacking the high end dynamics and seem more lost compared to the HFs.  The treble is a little less aggressive on the HF series as compared to the B2s.  Nothing over the top though assuming you can get the proper seal.
  3. ThinkSound TS02: Another IEM with great bass texture.  It has a huge quantity and nice treble to add in.  Similar to the Tridents though, it holds a V-shaped sig. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 15
well..i will say the opposite :)  i think the HF5 are amazing for every music genre..including those with a deep and strong bass punch like rap,hip hop and all sorts of electronic music.       i find the hf5's bass very deep (when it goes deep in the music ofcourse) and also rather punchy.   you will hear exactly what goes on the recording,with a little bit of extra bass because the hf5's are not 100% flat (like the super flat ER4 models) but they are very close to it.

but if you want too big and muffy and overly boomy bas response (denon ahd-5000 like) than don't get them like the others suggested,but if you want a little more than neutral bas response than you should definitely get them.   right now listening to linkin park's meteora the bass is really great.

don't forget that you can always tweak the sound a little bit and add some more bass,like i do with the bbe setting in my cowon j3.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
well..i will say the opposite :)  i think the HF5 are amazing for every music genre..including those with a deep and strong bass punch like rap,hip hop and all sorts of electronic music.       i find the hf5's bass very deep (when it goes deep in the music ofcourse) and also rather punchy.   you will hear exactly what goes on the recording,with a little bit of extra bass because the hf5's are not 100% flat (like the super flat ER4 models) but they are very close to it.

but if you want too big and muffy and overly boomy bas response (denon ahd-5000 like) than don't get them like the others suggested,but if you want a little more than neutral bas response than you should definitely get them.   right now listening to linkin park's meteora the bass is really great.

don't forget that you can always tweak the sound a little bit and add some more bass,like i do with the bbe setting in my cowon j3.

Sorry but I have to disagree from the angle of OP requirements. Time and time again, I see IEMs like etymotics or DBA-2's suggested and the OP gets them and is severely disappointed. If OP states bass is a solid requirement, etymotic's are the last IEM that should be recommended.

Yes the bass is "punchy" because the BA is moving much faster and not moving much air, so it's punchy without much depth or visceral feel, making it what I refer to as "clinical bass", which is not what the OP sounds like they are after.

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Sorry but I have to disagree from the angle of OP requirements. Time and time again, I see IEMs like etymotics or DBA-2's suggested and the OP gets them and is severely disappointed. If OP states bass is a solid requirement, etymotic's are the last IEM that should be recommended.

Yes the bass is "punchy" because the BA is moving much faster and not moving much air, so it's punchy without much depth or visceral feel, making it what I refer to as "clinical bass", which is not what the OP sounds like they are after.

yea i agree, i think they are great headphones for seasoned ears that have heard a lot of music, but if this is the OPs first foray into the world of HiFi, he will be extremely disappointed with the HF5s, which I personally find the sound signature to be oddly addicting because it is so different from the rest of my headphones.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

yea i agree, i think they are great headphones for seasoned ears that have heard a lot of music, but if this is the OPs first foray into the world of HiFi, he will be extremely disappointed with the HF5s, which I personally find the sound signature to be oddly addicting because it is so different from the rest of my headphones.

jaqueh..i think that there is a good chance the op will get HF5 after reading your comment :)   anyway..like i said,if the op want an over exaggerated bass response than he really should not get HF5.  but i find the HF5's bass more than satisfying, on recordings with a lot of bass they can be bass monsters. they also go really deep which is another important aspect of bass, not only large quantity of mid bass,but good quality bass that dig deep.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:

jaqueh..i think that there is a good chance the op will get HF5 after reading your comment :)   anyway..like i said,if the op want an over exaggerated bass response than he really should not get HF5.  but i find the HF5's bass more than satisfying, on recordings with a lot of bass they can be bass monsters. they also go really deep which is another important aspect of bass, not only large quantity of mid bass,but good quality bass that dig deep.

By saying "over-exaggerated" bass response, you imply that any IEM that has more bass than the HF5 is too much, which is not the case at all. The HF5 have relatively very lean bass so it is more accurate to say the Etymotics have less bass than average IEMs.

The HF5's are fantastic, no doubt about it but the bass is really lacking and will definitely not suit the OP.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

I agree, The HF5 has more than enough bass for bass heavy genres music because it's tight seal and more bass in recording faithfully produce.

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
I agree, The HF5 has more than enough bass for bass heavy genres music because it's tight seal and more bass in recording faithfully produce.

Lacks impact for me in those genres.  The B2s are a little more and quite hit the sweet spot in the quantity and texture.  However, they only have a fraction more impact (needs a tiny bit more though).  I think it's the BA limitation that's setting me back from recommending them for them for bass heavy genres. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back