Those who own both HD595 and HD650
Oct 6, 2007 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I saw at least one person in the forum that has both cans. HD650 arrived yesterday and I feel like I can't go back to HD595 (I plan to try tomorrow).

Those who own both, do you every grab the HD595 again? If so, would it be dependent on music, mood or just for the heck of it?

I'm thinking about selling them.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 30
Gave my 595's to my mother.
tongue.gif

Seriously, I did. I liked their presentation and it's a great phone on its own, but the 650's are simply in a different league. I occasionally miss them when listening to certain recordings. But not all that often.

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 30
If I didn't have my Grado's, then yes, I would probably go back and use my 595s sometimes.

Although, I prefer the sound of my 590s over my 595s...

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 30
I stepped up from my 555s to some 600s which is a similar trasition, and I don't think I could ever go back. The 555s/595s are very detailed and have lots of warmth, but in busy passages the sound tends to become distorted and overall they seemed to lack dynamics and impact. The 600s have all the pluses of those phones without any of the minuses, not to mention better sound quality in general and better matched drivers.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 30
I've compared the two many times and much prefer the 595. I listen only to orchestral/classical music. I keep reading, as here, how superior the 650 is, I buy another pair (I can resell without loss), burn them in for maybe 50 hours, do a full comparison, sell them again. Then I read again how superior they are to the 595 and go through the whole proceedure again (I have another pair coming now!). I want to like them, I really do, but without after-market cables, dedicated amps etc, and on the music I listen to, the 595 is the better phone to my ears, and frankly I'm not prepared to spend the sort of money it apparently takes to get a 650 to perform.

Why do I prefer the 595? Well, I've posted on this several times and never had a response, but here goes again. I find the 650 has too much upper midrange/lower treble on orchestral music. Even after burning in the sound remains harsh and somewhat "cave" like. I thought this effect might disappear with use, but after three weeks it remained and I couldn't stand it anymore--back to the 595. I've found this to be a problem in all Senn phones (545/565/580/590/600/650)--all until I got the 595. I suspect the relative lack of energy in this region is why so many here have labelled the 595 "boring", and indeed it may not be the best on rock, techno etc. But for a symphony orchestra in full flight, I'll take the 595s any day.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Why do I prefer the 595? Well, I've posted on this several times and never had a response, but here goes again. I find the 650 has too much upper midrange/lower treble on orchestral music. Even after burning in the sound remains harsh and somewhat "cave" like. I thought this effect might disappear with use, but after three weeks it remained and I couldn't stand it anymore--back to the 595. I've found this to be a problem in all Senn phones (545/565/580/590/600/650)--all until I got the 595. I suspect the relative lack of energy in this region is why so many here have labelled the 595 "boring", and indeed it may not be the best on rock, techno etc. But for a symphony orchestra in full flight, I'll take the 595s any day.

Talk about different folks having different ears! Wow!

I don't know what your amp is, but your sources don't do the the 650's justice, so you're absolutely right about the 650's needing better/more expensive equipment to be at their best.

Before I upgraded my equipment I preferred the 595's as well, but when I got the better equipment the 595's failings really showed up. Not as resolving, more grainy, not as extended highs or lows, simply not as clear. This isn't a slam, they're excellent phones, but the 650's are definitely on a different level.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like the 595 hype is finally wearing off. About time.

Does this mean we'll be able to get an used pair on the FS forum for anything close to reasonable soon?
evil_smiley.gif

Hype? They are just good cans. Also not everyone thinks the 650s are the Holy Grail of audio. There are many people here on the forum that don't even like the 650s.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared the two many times and much prefer the 595. I listen only to orchestral/classical music. I keep reading, as here, how superior the 650 is, I buy another pair (I can resell without loss), burn them in for maybe 50 hours, do a full comparison, sell them again. Then I read again how superior they are to the 595 and go through the whole proceedure again (I have another pair coming now!). I want to like them, I really do, but without after-market cables, dedicated amps etc, and on the music I listen to, the 595 is the better phone to my ears, and frankly I'm not prepared to spend the sort of money it apparently takes to get a 650 to perform.

Why do I prefer the 595? Well, I've posted on this several times and never had a response, but here goes again. I find the 650 has too much upper midrange/lower treble on orchestral music. Even after burning in the sound remains harsh and somewhat "cave" like. I thought this effect might disappear with use, but after three weeks it remained and I couldn't stand it anymore--back to the 595. I've found this to be a problem in all Senn phones (545/565/580/590/600/650)--all until I got the 595. I suspect the relative lack of energy in this region is why so many here have labelled the 595 "boring", and indeed it may not be the best on rock, techno etc. But for a symphony orchestra in full flight, I'll take the 595s any day.

For some reason the 650s spark an unbelievable zealotry in people, it isn't as bad as when they were first released, but do a search of some old reviews and such, people have been flamed simply for saying they prefer another can over the 650s. No other can gets the ridiculous pedestal the 650s are on.

Wait till the HD700s come out, all the zealotry that people have for the 650s will then be shifted to the 700s. Also regardless of how the 700s sound, people will claim that is exactly how they have always want a pair of headphones to sound.

People will say the 650s are the most neutral can they have ever heard, and in the same thread people will talk about even though the 650 is heavily colored that is how they like it.

The argument always boils down to:

"Well if you don't like the 650s its because you don't own a $5,000 Source, a $3,000 amp, and a $500 replacement cable, that or maybe there is something wrong with your hearing!"

Remember pp312, the Emperor is Naked. If you didn't like the 650s you have nothing to prove to anyone.

Personally on some music I find the bass on the 580s is too much, I can't distinguish lighter notes/effects in the music if there is a lot of bass going. On the Sony SA5000s I can hear everything crystal clear. The 650s have even heavier bass then the 580s. The bass is also monotone.

Sennheiser bass is either on or off. Very little nuance. Also if you have someone play an acoustic guitar next to you head, then listen to a recording of that through the 650s, I guarantee they will sound nothing alike

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 650 is a god
tongue.gif

More like a golden calf
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 30
When I first bought the HD650, I didn't like them. Felt shut in and not a lot going on up top. I also have the 595 which I preferred at the time because they felt more open to my ears.

After a long time, my opinion has switched. I prefer the HD650. They seem to have opened out, or my ears have just adjusted to them. It has taken a long time though and I still use the 595's for listening to radio for speech since they do give a very natural sense of space. (Without the weight of the 650's)

Ian

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 30
The 650 is more refined than the 595 and has much stronger bass, however, my 595 is still the most comfortable can I own. I also find it a fun can, probably due to its more forward presentation. Although it has more grain, I still listen to mine regularly, although not as much as my 650s.

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapzoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650 is more refined than the 595 and has much stronger bass, however, my 595 is still the most comfortable can I own. I also find it a fun can, probably due to its more forward presentation. Although it has more grain, I still listen to mine regularly, although not as much as my 650s.

If you get the chance you simply must try the Senn 590s. I got mine as a gift this last January and they are far and away the most comfortable headphones I have tried, including the 595s and the SA5000s, both of which are damn comfortable.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #15 of 30
Unfortunately I've got that problem. My only path to take now is some RS1s or 2s for a different quality sound.

Not sure I want to spend so much on supra-aurals which are famously uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back