Those of you with Creative drivers/sound card... what do you have settings at?
Apr 9, 2004 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GreenFloyd

Head-Fier
I just got my Sony MDR-CD780 and after 10 minutes I'm already in love
biggrin.gif
. A few questions...

You know how you can set it to 4 speakers, 5.1, 2 speakers, or headphones in the creative drivers? Which do you have it set for when using phones? Does setting it to headphones really make it that much better? It seems like leaving it as 4speaker setup sounds almost better... but I'm not sure. What do you suggest?

Also, for adjusting bass/treble etc., do you just use the drivers? Would I get better sound quality if I plugged in the phones cable directly into the sound card, or is plugging it into the speaker jack on my control module that came with my Logitech speakers just as good?

THANKS!!

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 17
dont plug it into your speakers..do u have logitech z560's z680's?? well plug it straight into your soundcard..u can find y splitters too..i dont know if those lower the quality..but i just got tired of crawling to the back of my computer to change the speakers/headphones...but dont go into the speakers..

and for the settings see which one you like more...if u go between desktop speakers and headphones..they sound totally different..see which one you like more..

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 17
Why not plug them into the speakers? I have z560s. Will it really sound much better putting them into the back?

Thanks.

edit: where can I find a y-splitter. That would be mega-useful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by GreenFloyd
Why not plug them into the speakers? I have z560s. Will it really sound much better putting them into the back?

Thanks.

edit: where can I find a y-splitter. That would be mega-useful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Headroom sells some mini y-splitter.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...&subTopicID=31

I configure my PC settings into headphone mode when I use headphones with my PC.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 17
Hey,

I've tried changing my setting on the Creative Surround Mixer (assuming this is what you're talking about) and I don't hear any differences between the various 2.1-5.1 settings, but I think the headphone setting is pretty bad, it puts all the sound too far into your head, sounds like its coming out of your brain. It also muffles the entire spectrum if you ask me. But then again, I'm no audiophile.

-Brian

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 17
For music, it usually comes down to user preferrence. Try out all the settings and leave it on the setting you deem best for you. But for playing games, setting it to "headphones" is a must .

I would also suggest you try AKG's Hearo plugin. It has different crossfeed-like settings that help alleviate that "in-your-brain" sensation you were talking about. Hope this helps.

Edit: here's the link:
www.akg.com

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by eMpAtHy
but i just got tired of crawling to the back of my computer to change the speakers/eadphones

If you have the creative card that allows you to change this setting, than you obviously have the 3 outputs, and thus you do not need a Y-splitter. Just plug your speakers into the green jack and your headphones into the black one, and set the sound-card to "4/4.1" so that both outputs are turned on.

Apr 9, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 17
I plug directly into the sound card if I don't use a receiver. 2 channel. flat.

But it sounds so much better when I hook the sound card to the Yamaha or Crown. No contest.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 17
The "speaker" setting gives you the most neutral, accurate sound you can get out of the soundcard.

The "headphone" setting adds some extra processing...whether this is a good or bad thing is up to you.

I always leave it set to "speakers" and leave any other DSP-type activities I'd want to Foobar.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 17
Most of this stuff is from Hydrogenaudio:

1)Volume: Set the wave volume to 100%, because wave is in the digital domain and the only way to avoid loss is to set it to 100. Set analogue to anything less than around 80% to avoid distortion and clipping.

2)EQs: Don't use the windows/creative EQ. If you want to use an EQ, use one of the better EQ plugins in fb2k.

3)Don't use pseudo 5.1 mixing. Just set it to stereo speakers.

4)Use FB2k as your player with the recommended plugins in the correct order

There's a lot more but I can't really remember. Browse through HA for more. They're the digital audio equivalent of HeadFi, but never state anything without being able to ABX it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 17
Yeah, the "Headphone" setting sounds too close to my head or something... I don't like it nearly as much as just 4 speaker.

Why is setting it to headphone a must for gaming?

Also, how do I go about setting my card up to 4/4.1 like you were talking about so I can plug them directly into my soundcard?

THANKS!

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by GreenFloyd
Yeah, the "Headphone" setting sounds too close to my head or something... I don't like it nearly as much as just 4 speaker.

Why is setting it to headphone a must for gaming?

THANKS!

If you set it to 4 channel & plug your headphone in either the front or rear channel of your soundcard, your either gonna lose the front sounds or the rear sounds. Your not going to get all the front & back sounds which is critical in games (well in FPS games anyway)
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Also, how do I go about setting my card up to 4/4.1 like you were talking about so I can plug them directly into my soundcard?

Thats just the point, I dont think you could get pure 4.1 sound with headphones unless you put it on headphone settings or have those funky headphones that has 2 plugs that can be inserted in both your front & rear soundcard outputs. Maybe somebody here has a solution to that...

Apr 10, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 17
Now how would I go about adjusting the volume easily when plugging into the soundcard? There is no volume control on the headphones or anything. hmm.... I guess I might have to resort to just using the headphone plug on the controle module for my z560s.

Apr 10, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 17
Set sound card to output 2 speaker, which sounds better than headphone. Then jack your headphones into the main speaker outs. Adjust the volume using window's volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back