Those Kensington laptop locks aren't secure
Aug 9, 2004 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
http://www.security.org

A security alert just came out. Turns out you can open them in about 30 seconds using a pair of scissors and a Bic pen -- and Kensington won't cover the stolen laptop, because the lock wasn't physically damaged in the process.

Your Laptop: Gone in 30 Seconds...

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 13
I knew just by looking at those things that they provide a false sense of security. A lot of computer stuff fails to deliver on their promises. Here is just another example.

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Nice that they don't cover their own defective design.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Aug 10, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 13
I just make sure it never leaves my sight. I don't take it outside of my room unless I need to use it outside. I don't carry it outside just for show, where I might forget I have it in my possession.

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 13
Problem is, I use mine at work which is a research lab in a University. As I am sometimes away from my desk (which itself is in the lab), the only solution would be to lock the lappie in a filing cabinet or somesuch. The question, do I trust the filing cabinet lock more than the Kensington lock??
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Problem is, I use mine at work which is a research lab in a University. As I am sometimes away from my desk (which itself is in the lab), the only solution would be to lock the lappie in a filing cabinet or somesuch. The question, do I trust the filing cabinet lock more than the Kensington lock??
wink.gif

Unfortunately, neither lock can be trusted. The Kensington lock's weak point is the cable itself: The cable is very weak and flimsy, and is easily cut by common household scissors. The locks in most filing cabinets have a different weak point: They tend to be cheap, low-security locks which are very easy to pick and can be defeated by a simple hammer.

Aug 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 13
I had a laptop lock. the idea itself is useless. I lost the key and was desperate to get the laptop in to class because I had a test. I just gave it an almighty tug and the laptop was freed. A small chunk of paint missing but otherwise in good shape. The metal latch was broken clean through
basshead.gif

The only way to protect your laptop is to tie it to the leash of a large hungry dog
very_evil_smiley.gif

But then...this might happen
redface.gif

dog%20fazendo%20xixi%20no%20laptop.jpg

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Woman at work found that she could remove the Kensington from her Dell by bending the lock on the desk edge (the Dell plastic bent a little and let go of the lock then sprang back).

My advice especially for laptops left on display in office is a little post-it note saying:

"IT Dept please fix this '%$£'ing' broken laptop it keeps rebooting"

so the potential thief will steal one he/she thinks is working instead.
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
and Kensington won't cover the stolen laptop, because the lock wasn't physically damaged in the process.

Is that a standard clause? Does this mean the conscientious thief should smash the lock after grabbing the laptop?

Aug 10, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 13
This mean that some other brands may have the flaw too. For me, I used to use this kind of lock at Starbucks. There are too many people there and I dont want to turn off my laptop and bring it to the restroom with me everytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back