those amps on ebay
Oct 30, 2006 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

taran

100+ Head-Fier
Oct 31, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I have one of the Penguin amps. It's ok, but not really worth it in my opinion. For another few dollars you can get a Go-Vibe 5, which is a very good portable amplifier in my opinion.

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1
I have one of the Penguin amps. It's ok, but not really worth it in my opinion. For another few dollars you can get a Go-Vibe 5, which is a very good portable amplifier in my opinion.

Firstly, there have been various version of the Pengamp - you likely have an older one, without the rearranged PCB with the full ground plane (yielding a sure improvement in sound).

Secondly, these amps have just been renewed (once again). In my eyes, they eventually look pretty attractive for their price - also & particularly the "basic" version.

Thirdly, they're basicly the Go-Vibe v5's schematic deprived of the third channel. They can't be THAT different.

And btw, whatever the reason (I'm guessing the absence of the third channel?), tonality wise (an aspect of the reproduction of sound which many headfiers don't seem to synergise with too much
lambda.gif
) the Pengamp (in the version prior to the very latest) sounded more interesting, more pleasant, than the standard Go-Vibe v5 which I strongly disliked in this regard.

The Go-Vibe had that greenish, emotionless, dominant sonic color that slaughtered the beauty of colours and the expressiveness of any record I threw at it.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the older version of the Pengamp and the new "deluxe" one and I am currently working on a review, so stay tuned. And yes, I think they are worth the money.
I cannot coment on the other amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back