Thorens TD-124: Still a good choice?
Aug 7, 2003 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm hunting around for a new turntable (feeling very let down by the purchase of a Pro-ject Debut II - only sounds good playing 45 RPM discs) and I'm considering the venerable Thorens TD-124 (looking for a MkII, I guess).

My questions is: If I'm going to have to pay $400-500 for a TD-124 with a decent tone arm, can I do better sonically if I just look for a more modern turntable? And if so, what contemporary model would best the TD-124 at the same price?

Thanks for your help.

Aug 7, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I'm hunting around for a new turntable (feeling very let down by the purchase of a Pro-ject Debut II - only sounds good playing 45 RPM discs) and I'm considering the venerable Thorens TD-124 (looking for a MkII, I guess).

My questions is: If I'm going to have to pay $400-500 for a TD-124 with a decent tone arm, can I do better sonically if I just look for a more modern turntable? And if so, what contemporary model would best the TD-124 at the same price?

Thanks for your help.

Try a search on the term "Thorens TD124" at Audioasylum.com's Vinyl Asylum... you'll get more opinions than you can shake a stick at.

There are a lot of potential pitfalls to owning a vintage table (difficulty in finding replacement parts being a major one), so that aspect is worth considering as well. If you aren't into tweaking, DIY repairs, etc. then a modern table might definitely be a better option. I'm not sure what it would take to outdo the TD124 sonically as far as modern tables, altho the previous poster's recommendation for one of the better Music Halls is probably a good one.

Aug 7, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I trust the guys here and audioasylum gives me a headache. Single post at at time? Please...

Let me add. Given owning the sports car de jour or a classic ole hunka steel, I'd prefer the hunka.

But if the TD-124 sounds unsophicated compared to the latest plinth on the block, well....

I know Tuberoller keeps one at work. That tells me tough and bulletproof, which is good, but I also know Tuberoller is out to make vinyl converts and if the TD-124 makes a good enough demo deck to win a few hearts and minds.....yeah.

I'm thinking buying tomorrow (9 hours and counting), thoughts?

Aug 7, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I trust the guys here and audioasylum gives me a headache. Single post at at time? Please...

I didn't mean posting there, just searching for previous threads addressing this topic. For example:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...80&r=&session=

Anyway -- best of luck with whatever you choose to get..
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 9
I'd go for the thorens. Music Hall only decreases in value, the thorens will only increase. Plus, you can do quite a few upgrades to it down the line.

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 9
I hate to diss any great vintage gear but the 124 is only as good as the cartridge mounted and mods performed to it.This table requires very good isolation a very good arm and a great cartridge to sound it's best.When these tables are set up correctly they sound incredible.

With that said,I say go with the MMF-5.It's a fantastic table rright out of the box and gets better with some simple mods to the plinth and arm and is a good platform for cartridge upgrades.

I know that each table has it's fans and detractors but I'll stay in the center here and say that the Thorens most certainly has a "signature sound" as does the Musichall.The signature sound of the Thorens leans towards a vintage flavor.You will never,ever rid the Thorens of backround noise,with the Musichall backround noise is never a problem.A monkey with the correct tools can set up a Musichall table,it takes a monkey with the correct tools and a great deal of patience to set up a Thorens.

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

It takes a monkey with the correct tools and a great deal of patience to set up a Thorens.

You're looking at one fumble-fingered, impatient monkey. I need to check out a Music Hall. I want to look at it's construction (I sure hope its doesn't have an MDF plint wrapped in vinyl veener like the pro-ject debut), but finding one here will be tough. Thanks for all three of your recommendations, I will take each to heart.

BTW Just checked out the Audioasylum thread. The debate is also divided there. The Thorens TD-125 was also well recommend, although I checked it out on the web and it certainly seems to lack sex appeal! A lot like the old tables I used to run through. Maybe a pristine one...

And looking at images of the Music Hall, it looks just like the accursed Pro-ject Debut which I've learned is manufactured by the same Czech plant that makes the Music Hall. Huh....?

Aug 8, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I like the Thorens, but I think the demand has driven the price up beyond the sonic value. If you're considering used for $400-$500, a Rega, VPI, or Linn Basic is a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back