Thom Yorke- Eraser, 1 year later. Your thoughts?
Jul 19, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 33
Eh, I listened to it and really wanted to like it, but couldn't. One of my friends really likes it, but only when he's high. I wouldn't say it sucks, it's just not good.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I completely disagree. I'd take Eraser over Pablo Honey and day of the week. Some days even over The Bends. I think it's an amazing record with amazing production from Nigel and really strong songwriting. The melodies are beautiful and Thom Yorke continues to have one of the best sounding voices in popular music.

I agree with Jelly's evaluation of "The Eraser." I liked it when I first heard it and I like it a year later. I'm not a big fan of early Radiohead. I liked "OK Computer," but I joined the bandwagon in a big way with "Kid A." There has been a great deal of discussion around here over the years about, "which Radiohead is better, pre-"Kid A," or post-"Kid A." "The Eraser" would definitely tend to appeal more to the post-"Kid A" crowd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's definitely a fantastic album, coming from a long time and hardcore Radiohead fan. Usually when I'm in a Radiohead mood (often) I'll put it on admist the bands albums, although I don't think Thom managed to fully recreate the full band's magic. I'm looking forward to any more releases by Thom on his own, but Radiohead's next LP is by far my most anticipated release.

Though it doesn't seem to be the popular position to take in this thread. I also agree with the comments above. (On the other hand, I got Jonny Greenwood's solo album "Bodysong" and hated it) I wouldn't put "The Eraser" in the same league as "OK Computer," "Kid A," "Amnesiac," or "Hail To The Thief," (...all of which are great as far as I am concerned...) Thom Yorke should definitely pursue his solo work, but I would hate to see it take away from the alchemy of the band. I too anxiously await the upcoming installment from Radiohead!

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It begs the question-- "why does this album exist?" Do you really listen to this voluntarily, or do you do it more out of a sense of duty?

This is how I feel. I never purposely search it out, but if I see it there, sitting quietly ashamed amoung the great Radiohead albums, I sometimes spin it just because. That "just because" might be due to a sense of duty stemming from the fact that I paid good money for it, or perhaps because it is Thom Yorke. either way, I don't listen to this very often at all, while my other Radiohead albums are in heavy rotation.

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 33
The album never really clicked with me. I listened to it several times, and just couldn't force myself to like it. I ended up trading it on LaLa...

I'm a fan of earlier Radiohead (Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer), and this album is IMHO far afield of those. I guess it's not surprising that I never took to it.

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it certainly helps if you have a bit of an electronic bent. I, however, do not.

I can see that. But might also add that anyone with an electronic bent my find the "The Eraser", or any Kid A forward Radiohead for that matter, as out of date electronic. There's nothing in the Eraser that hasn't been going on in glitch for a decade or more. Add to that, the worst lyrics Thom Yorke has done.

That said, after disliking the album at first, I really like it. If treated as a minor key, vh1 glitch, pop opus, it's a nice groovy moaner.

Jul 20, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 33
I think it's ridicules and outright wrong to claim that "if you value this RH album over that, you are clueless" (as some seem to be insinuating in this thread and elsewhere) I would rather that people observe their own preferences and try to consider why they are so, considering what other music they like, when they got into Radiohead etc. I'll take myself as an example.

I'm a post Kid-A fan. I like OK Computer, but Kid-A really did it for me, Amnesiac perhaps even more - but it's sort of the same project anyway. HTTT was a bit of a let-down for me, but it was inevitable for radiohead to go a bit "oldschool"(okc) at that point. Or maybe I don't like HTTT as much because it seems like such a fragmented work to me. It's still a favourite though, don't get me wrong.

I see Eraser as an awesome appetizer for the upcoming RH album. I also see it as a return to the simple soundwork of Kid A, combined with simple and clean vocals from the Bends. (this is judging from watching them perform live last year with their new material, like "Nude")

I prefer clarity and purity of musical expression, electronica and clear vocals are nice for this IMO. Ofcourse dark and gritty sound can serve as a means to achieve clarity of expression, depending on the message/emotion (amnisiac vs. kid a)

I do enjoy some rockbands that just Jam their guitars and make simple energetic music, but for me Radiohead is much more profound and IMO they are better when they don't dilute the music (I know I am sounding terribly generalizing, and it is just in regards to the music I enjoy so don't attack me for this)

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 33
I'm an unabashed pre-Kid A fan. I once formed a band for the sole purpose of performing OK Computer front-to-back live. That being said, I definitely think 'Eraser' is excellent. Not on par with the whole band, perhaps, but it is definitely an album I seek out on its own. I listen to 'Eraser' more than HTTT, at the moment.

As soon as I read the thread title, I had the bassline to "Harrowdown Hill" stuck in my head. Really, there are a lot of excellent songs and ideas on this, and if nothing else it's an illustrative look at one of the two major players of Radiohead.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's a bad album though, I enjoy it when I do listen to it.

Exactly what I was going to say. I bought it on vinyl soon after it came out, and I've gone through it maybe 5 times. I never remember any of it after, but while I'm listening it sure does sound nice. The production is amazing and I find it to be an excellent demo for what my rig can do when it comes to soundstaging, bass, and being completely involved in the music. It's just that five minutes later, I don't remember a single note of real music, just a lot of cool noises.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #26 of 33
This thread suprised me somewhat. I seem to have almost the reverse opinion to many people. I think it's a really good LP. Side one is a bit uneven, but side two is really, really good. It's certainly not welded to my turntable, but it is on there fairly frequently.

Where I don't fit is that although I enjoy electronic music, including many of the bands that are supposed to have influenced RH, I never really dug any of the 'new Radiohead' albums. There are certainly good tunes on each LP, but I never felt the albums were enjoyable cohesive units. The Eraser is to me much better in this regard, I'm very glad I have it. I await Radiohead's next move with interest...

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #28 of 33
I hated this album (aside from Atoms for Peace) when I first listened to it. Now, I think it's pretty good. Funny how often our preferences change. Heh.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #29 of 33
I'll come out and say it. I've probably heard nearly all Radiohead songs to date (including b-sides/obscurities) and Cymbal Rush from the Eraser album tromps them all. My God. One of the most beautiful songs to date next to Gorillaz's Honk Kong from the Warchild album.

I would recommend people to buy this album just this for one song. An absolute marvel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back