This thread is about all kinds of nonsense
Feb 27, 2009 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

ferraro25

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for a new headphone under $600. The most recent one I've tried out was the Denon AH-D7000 (have not sent it back yet, but will this next week; first time I've returned a headphone). What I did not like about it was: its crappy soundstage, the somewhat thin mids, and the lack of refinement in the bass (maybe I'm being too hard on the D7000 on this point; it is difficult to have both a powerful and well-defined bass). Besides those problems, I discovered that the drivers were very poorly matched (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...ml#post5466502), which is totally unacceptable for such an expensive headphone. I would like a headphone with a similar "fun factor" (basically, it can carry a beat, I can feel impacts on my ears, and the bass is boosted a bit) but with all of the problems I have listed fixed. It can be open or closed.

Would the Ultrasone PRO 900, unmodded (I'm not willing to mod, period, as stupid as I am for that), satisfy my requirements? Any other suggestions for fun, high quality headphones?

Maybe it is about time I should try the HD650, even though it probably won't give me the fun factor I'm looking for? The HD595 is probably my favorite dynamic headphone, given its overall balance. I realize that the HD650 would have less treble yet be superior in overall sound quality.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 88
D7000 crappy Mid and Bass??? Thin sound stage? I think you are the first person who mentioned that~what is your source broh? I use D7K right out of Duet by Apogee...the sound is incredible, Bass is real tight~with big mid range and crisp highs~have not yet found any competitors in its price range~...maybe you got a defect?

I think you should move on to high end speakers for bigger sound stage and true satisfaction...

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 88
I have the AHD 7000's on order from Headroom ( I gave up on J&R and bit the bulett on the higher price) Anyway, I also have the Pro 900's and I find them very similar to the Denon 5k's on my head right now.Especially the Bass I think the Senns or maybe the Grado RS-1's would be you best bet.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #4 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000 crappy Mid and Bass??? Thin sound stage? I think you are the first person who mentioned that~what is your source broh? I use D7K right out of Duet by Apogee...the sound is incredible, Bass is real tight~with big mid range and crisp highs~have not yet found any competitors in its price range~...maybe you got a defect?

I think you should move on to high end speakers for bigger sound stage and true satisfaction...

Looks like I'm wrong about the midrange, at least. Listening to the HD595 right now, and it is at least as thin. I guess the high bass amount plus the strong treble gave me the impression of a thin midrange.

I didn't say that the bass is crappy, just a bit bloated when it shouldn't be, sometimes. Perhaps a better amp than the Total AirHead would help - the bass is really uncontrolled when unamped, improved a bit with the AirHead, so it might be even better with a higher quality amp.

As for soundstage, that is a common complaint about the D7000. Its soundstage is average at best.

And I just tested the 20 to 20000hz range on my HD595; similar problems with "driver matching." It would obviously be my ears if I couldn't get the opposite channel problems by reversing the headphone - actually, on the HD595, the channel imbalance mostly disappears upon reversing. It is obviously the pads mixing with my ears' differing abilities to hear - probably the same problem with the D7000.

I need to learn to control my posting habits - I think I'm on to something, and almost immediately post on it as if I had been spending hours on the issue.

I'd like to have this thread closed; I overreacted to "driver mismatching."

I'm going to keep the D7000.

one more edit: wow, the HD595 is nothing compared to the D7000.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 88
I agree with you on the recessed mids, but it's more the strength of the treble and bass than anything. A simple EQ will do the trick (dip after 30 Hz down to about -3 dB by 250 Hz, raise to -1.5 dB about 1500 Hz, lower to -2 dB at 2000 Hz, keep at 0 dB from 3000 to 4500 Hz, drop down gradually to -3 dB by 6000 Hz, and gradually raise to -1.5 dB by 15000 Hz after you pass the 10000 Hz mark). Adjust to fit your taste, but that's what I use with AIMP 2 and it fixes just about every complaint I have (and costs nothing until I can get the materials together to mod the headphone).

It sounds like you got a defective pair. If I were you I'd ask for a replacement pair, then I'd go for the markl mods if I were you. That'd allow you to tweak the sound to your liking quite easily. At the least you should try the fibarloft ear pad mod before you give up on the D7000 (improved sound stage, costs maybe $3). A little bit of Dynamat from your local car audio store adds a plethora of sound tuning capabilities as well.

If you don't want to go for that, try something from Audio Technica, AKG, or Grado.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you on the recessed mids, but it's more the strength of the treble and bass than anything. A simple EQ will do the trick (dip after 30 Hz down to about -3 dB by 250 Hz, raise to -1.5 dB about 1500 Hz, lower to -2 dB at 2000 Hz, keep at 0 dB from 3000 to 4500 Hz, drop down gradually to -3 dB by 6000 Hz, and gradually raise to -1.5 dB by 15000 Hz after you pass the 10000 Hz mark). Adjust to fit your taste, but that's what I use with AIMP 2 and it fixes just about every complaint I have (and costs nothing until I can get the materials together to mod the headphone).

It sounds like you got a defective pair. If I were you I'd ask for a replacement pair, then I'd go for the markl mods if I were you. That'd allow you to tweak the sound to your liking quite easily. At the least you should try the fibarloft ear pad mod before you give up on the D7000 (improved sound stage, costs maybe $3). A little bit of Dynamat from your local car audio store adds a plethora of sound tuning capabilities as well.

If you don't want to go for that, try something from Audio Technica, AKG, or Grado.

Thanks for the advice, but from that last comment it looks like you didn't read my signature.

And I mentioned that I am not willing to mod.

edited to add: I'm going to stop posting until I get the KICAS amp in a couple of months. I'll try to grow a brain in the meantime.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice, but from that last comment it looks like you didn't read my signature.

And I mentioned that I am not willing to mod.

Sorry about that. I was a bit distracted while responding and figured I'd rather the post be there than not at all.

Quote:

edited to add: I'm going to stop posting until I get the KICAS amp in a couple of months. I'll try to grow a brain in the meantime.

I should have the K.I.C.A.S. sometime in March and will at least be able to give some feedback paired with my D5000. Hopefully I can rid myself of EQing completely at that point (Could just be necessary with my EMU 0404 USB's built-in amp, as the sound is more congested to me without EQ than anything else).

Also, don't forget burn in. Whether you believe it's a physical adjustment in the headphone or it's all in your head (or you're somewhere in the middle), most people feel the Denons don't really come into their own until at least 200+ hours, and some people have reported burn in continuing up to 500 hours.

Here's to hoping your problem is simply fixed by an amplification upgrade.
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000 crappy Mid and Bass??? Thin sound stage?

A lot of complaints about d2000 regarding its boomy bass and hollow midrange, and, as we know d7000 is not that different, so what is so surprising for you?

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 88
I have a couple more weeks to decide whether or not to keep the D7000, so in the meantime, I have decided to order the HD650. I am pretty sure I want a lush sound signature - I did not read enough about the D7000 before ordering. I'll compare the two and keep the one I want. The thin midrange and strong extremes in the D7000 are starting to annoy me.

I'm very excited about this; since I started this hobby in late 2005, I've been wanting to try out the HD650. This will be the first time I've heard it.

edited to add: On eq'ing, I hate doing that. If I need to eq a headphone, I don't like it.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems to me this is a amping/source problem.

Definitely...

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 88
Good luck on the 650
smily_headphones1.gif
. Otherwise as you mentioned the PRO 900 may be an option... I tried the markl modded D5000 and the PRO 900 walked all over it really. Though you won´t get the most out of it unless you are ready to put some cotton wool and such in there. It has a bass emphasis in stock configuration for sure which may give you similar problems you had with the D7000
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thin midrange and strong extremes in the D7000 are starting to annoy me.

And now I'm listening to the SR202, and its bright and somewhat uninvolving sound signature is not sitting well with me, either. I'm thinking that the HD650 will be the headphone for me. I want warmth and musicality.

I'm using this forum like a blog, while there is an actual blog feature I could be using, instead. Excited about the HD650.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just be forewarned that the hd650's won't be anywhere jaw dropping when underamped.

Right, but from what I've read, the Total AirHead does a decent job of driving it. I'm going to get a Purity Audio KICAS Caliente amp when they are available to the general public again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back