This one thing I don't understand.
Jul 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SennMetal

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow music lovers,

My Audez'e will arrive tomorrow. I currently have the Sennheiser HD650, Cambridge audio DacMagic and a pretty serious speaker amplifier with a headphone out (van Medevoort MA22 for the interested). My planning to sell it all and buy the right gear to let the Audez'e shine.Yes, yes, there are other threads for the Audez'e amplification disuccions on this forum. Yes, I studied them all. Audio-gd, Schiit and Burson seem to be popular brands for the Audez'e's. 

Now here comes my question. The guys over at Audez'e "suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping.". Okay, clear language. But I can't understand why I see countless pictures and recommendations of the Burson brand with their output power of 250mw(?!).

Please enlighten me.

Oh and now you are just about to answer my question anyway, Burson HA-169D or Schitt Lyr/Bifrost?
Thanks.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 6
I can only speak first hand about Schiit. I own a Bifrost & Valhalla, and find it to be some of the best stuff I've ever run. And 100% the best stuff for the money.

I'm not real keen on Burson, as I bought some of there Op-Amps, and with in one year one of the OA failed and Burson told me, Tuff. I was like What?

And never bothered with them again. Plus they've more than doubled there prices over the last 5~7 years.

Quote:
Hello fellow music lovers,

My Audez'e will arrive tomorrow and I am looking at which DAC and amplifier I am going to buy to let them shine. Yes, yes, there are other threads for that. Yes, I studied them all. GD-Audio, Schiit and Burson seem to be popular brands for the Audez'e's.

Now here comes my question. The guys over at Audez'e "suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping.". Okay, clear language. But I can't understand why I see countless pictures and recommendations of the Burson brand with their output power of 250mw(?!).

Please enlighten me.

Oh and now you are just about to answer my question anyway, Burson HA-169D or Schitt Lyr/Bifrost?
Thanks.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Just keep your speaker amp if it has a decent headphone out section. Try your LCDs on it and figure out if it sounds good or not. Then go to a meet and try one of these recommended amps. If it doesn't sound leaps better then keep your speaker amp.

Pretty simple if you ask me. No one here is going to recommend a speaker amp over a dedicated headphone amp due to the cost difference.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Think of it this way - a car manufacturer will tell you they recommend or require Premium Fuel or that special Shell fully synthetic motor oil for "optimum" performance, which basically is what they used when they were designing and fine-tuning it. That in turn probably guarantees the most satisfaction from owners regarding performance and reliability. Similar thing with amps and headphones or speakers. 2w without clipping guarantees a lot of headroom and manages expectations, and marketing-wise it's better to have people saying "not necessarily, (insert amp here) is good enough!" than people saying, "they said it only needs xxxmW, but it sounds dead, totally boring, distorts, etc, etc." He's not lying, he's just taking the safer direction.

Jul 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Cheers guys. Sorry for the late response, was too busy with listening. 
o2smile.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Just keep your speaker amp if it has a decent headphone out section. Try your LCDs on it and figure out if it sounds good or not. Then go to a meet and try one of these recommended amps. If it doesn't sound leaps better then keep your speaker amp.

Definitely this. Don't get caught up in buying the 'best amp' for your headphones. Enjoy what you've got and then go to a meet in your area. At that meet, I'd recommend looking into a 'balanced' amplifier. I think that really helps the LCD-2. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back