This makes you think...
Apr 13, 2007 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gpalmer

We are the weird ones.
Yesterday I was all ready to head to the local shooting range. I had my gear all packed up and waiting in my car when work had a crisis I had to get involved in. It turns out that I would have been walking into this hostage situation. As glad as I am to have missed the party it's still had me thinking about a lot of things like how short life can be. Anyone else had similar experiences and feel like sharing?

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 15
It's an unfortunate situation...those poor people who witnessed a man shoot himself in the head are probably going to need some therapy for PTSD.

You should consider yourself lucky...

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 15
I live in Tampa too, I was following that situation for a while last night. I saw a news commercial at 11pm saying it was still going on, guess it took a while to settle down. Glad your ok man
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Trust me, I definitely do! But it was such a small thing, if the system hadn't had a problem and they hadn't called me just then...

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 15
If I was on the line, with it loaded, and figured out in a split second what was going on... I might have tried shooting him. Gun range, bunch of people around with loaded guns... I'm sure it was crazy.

None of us truly knows what one would do in a situation though. Bad that he thought his life was over and decided to end it, but at least no one else got killed...

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was fate.

Good time to reflect.

I've never been in that kind of situation.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of us truly knows what one would do in a situation though.

True enough and quite honestly, I'm glad I didn't have to find out!
frown.gif
It reminds me of a few years ago when I drove over the Continental divide at the end of December in the middle of the night. I was driving in a full whiteout and according to the hotel I stayed at, that night it was 68 below. I didn't have chains on my car and all I had was a fall jacket for warmth. I almost hit one car which had broken down on the road. When I realized just how wrong that could have gone it really made me think. I never would have made it to habitation before I froze to death if I had to leave my car. Just rolling down the window an inch while I smoked a cigarette was enough that the side of my face was getting the first tinglings of frostbite.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 15
Curious why the guy picked a gun range though.

The employees at most of the ones around here open carry everything from the latest in tactical plastic to big bore hunting revolvers. It also fair to assume that at least some of the shooters are carrying. I know I do when I go to the range.

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious why the guy picked a gun range though.

The employees at most of the ones around here open carry everything from the latest in tactical plastic to big bore hunting revolvers. It also fair to assume that at least some of the shooters are carrying. I know I do when I go to the range.

He went there to rent a gun and then steal it. That particular range has signs prohibiting concealed carry and while they don't carry any legal weight here in Florida many still follow them. Of course I can think of a few better places personally but the police did state that "his thinking was disorganized."

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an unfortunate situation...those poor people who witnessed a man shoot himself in the head are probably going to need some therapy for PTSD.

PTSD is a bit extreme methinks. I'm sure sitting around with a mad gunman isn't exactly fun, and getting sprayed with his gray matter probably didn't help, but I'm sure they'll be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back