This lightbulb has been "on" since.....1901!!
May 5, 2006 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
That's right, a lightbulb at a Livermore, California firehouse has been burning since 1901. It's truly amazing....the events of the world that have happened during the time it's been on.

Check it out

And here're some facts about the bulb.

The bulb could've been made by one of the ladies in the photo....

ShelbyElectricCoEmp1900.jpg

May 5, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 39
This really is amazing, especially after last week, when a light bulb that was no more than 6 months old burnt out in my bedroom. But my favorite part of this whole story:
Quote:

Visiting: You can visit the bulb during normal office hours Monday through Friday from 8 to 5 p.m. at Fire Station #6, 4550 East Ave., Livermore, California.

Anyone want to visit a light bulb?

May 5, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 39
I live near Livermore and was in Livermore to get my tires replaced at the Walmart there. I've known about the lightbulb for many years because local TV show it every once in a while. I think I better go see it before it burns out.

May 5, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 39
I've heard corporate-conspiracy-esque stories about light bulbs. Apparently at first they were made to last, but, like the razor blade, they realized that the real profit was in replacements, not longevity. These types of things led to the disposable consumer culture we now know - instead of a mop, Swiffer, instead of a rag, paper towels, instead of a razor sharpener, disposable razors, etc...

--Illah

May 5, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
I've heard corporate-conspiracy-esque stories about light bulbs. Apparently at first they were made to last, but, like the razor blade, they realized that the real profit was in replacements, not longevity. These types of things led to the disposable consumer culture we now know - instead of a mop, Swiffer, instead of a rag, paper towels, instead of a razor sharpener, disposable razors, etc...

Same with audio components....designed obsolesence

May 5, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 39
WOW - that's crazy!

May 5, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Same with audio components....designed obsolesence

Yes and no - it's true that better stuff comes out all the time but you don't *have* to buy it. A top line system that sounded great in the 70's it's going to sound great now (provided it's maintained). Great sound is great sound. If your light bulb burns out or your razor is dull, that's a different story.

Disposable consumer culture is prevailent. That's why, despite making so much more sense environmentally and economically, rechargeable batteries are not very popular. Disposable batteries dominate the market. There's more money to be made selling replacements than a high quality, reusable, long lasting product.

Profit > Greater Good

--Illah

May 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 39
They dont make'em like they used to...
frown.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 39
I remember when I was a child growing up that a guy will come buy periodically to sharpen knives and scissors. People would bring their dull ones and voila, as good as new. Try to find a place like that now.

May 5, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

--Illah

It's been known for quite some time now that many things can be made to last longer but because no profit would come from it we get this instead.Even the technology in the newer cars today like hybrids and others that take different kinds of fuel could of been brought out so long ago.

May 5, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

A top line system that sounded great in the 70's it's going to sound great now (provided it's maintained).

Not so sure this is true though, might depend on the circuitry. I think it was Kevin Gilmore who mentioned here in the forums once that for example an electrolitic capacitor would last only about 10 years maximum with a satisfactory performance. Components with old capacitors might therefore exhibit deteriorated performance. I think aging in other components as well might affect performance in the long run (i.e. a non-stepped attenuator).

May 5, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 39
You totally jinxed that bulb by putting up this thread. Way to go... way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back