This just in: strangedaze39 woodies with pics
Feb 19, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
No lengthy review, I'll defer to a more experienced member since I'm fairly sure that Cody has sold some of these cups to others. I'll comment on craftsmanship and installation.

The cups arrived on my porch today. I couldn't get the box opened fast enough. I was immediately impressed with the quality of the cups. They are well made and fairly priced, IMO. Also included in the box was some detailed installation instructions with pictures.

I set the cups aside and and grabbed my SR60s from the drawer and began disassembly. This gave the cups time to come to room temp. I'm in Michigan and it's very cold today.

The tools:

- My wife's blow dryer
- A spoon
- Masking tape
- Green felt dots

I after removing the plastic cups from the headband I set one cup, driver side down on a wood cutting board and began heating it with the dryer, set to high. I heated the plastic housing from the sides, not wanting to heat the driver directly. After just a few minutes of heat I grabbed the spoon, and separated the two halves of the driver housing. I won't ry to explain the spoon method, but you can find it at Headwize, under the Grado mods.

Once the outer housing was separated from the driver housing, I applied several layers of tape to the driver housing and tested the fit to the new wood cup. Finding that there was still much room, I decided to use some green felt dots, cut in half and equally spaced around the circumference of the housing. When I tried again I got a nice snug fit. I used this method rather than hot-glue in case a ever want to use the woodies on another pair of Grados. Cody explains both installation methods in his instructions. The other cup went on effortlessly and I was done in around 10-20 minutes total.

They sound great, and are a great value for anyone wanting to try woodies at an affordable price.

Beauty shots:

woody2xp2.jpg

woody1fl9.jpg

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 15
I tried Cody's woodies this weekend at the Chicago meet. I feel that they increased the bass and the treble. I would have liked to try them with some flats, but everyone with flats had left already.
frown.gif

I definitely think they looked nice and the price is very reasonable.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 15
I haven't done a lot of listening (I wanted to get some pics and post them right away), but right off I noticed that the change was more noticeable when listening to acoustic material. I listened to Steely Dan's 'Only a Fool Would Say That' and was very surprised with the detail of the guitar. May have been due to an increase in soundstage.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look really nice, do you notice any change in SQ or sound signature? I feel like soundstage would increased a noticable amount.

I think for more soundstage you should move the driver further away from your ear (further to the back of the cup).

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 15
Hey guys, I must have missed this thread. Thanks for all the kind comments
smily_headphones1.gif
It always makes me happy to see a happy customer and people enjoy the work. If you guys have any questions please let me know, I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,

Cody@HeadCoverage

PS: Sorry for the bump.

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 15
Looks great. Anyone else do this? What differences did you guys experience?

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 15
love the looks of it! too bad grado phones don't really fit my head..

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by djork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love the looks of it! too bad grado phones don't really fit my head..

You know the headband can be/should be bent to to ensure proper fit?

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks beautiful. I am still on fence about doing the mod for my MS2.

I'm on the fence as well. Looks like a pretty easy upgrade to my MS1's but I'm wondering how much it will change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back