This is wierd...relay stick?
Feb 25, 2004 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JeffL

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Marantz 2230B receiver that is flawless, but when I turned it on for the first time after class today, it didn't seem to want to come on right away. Normally, when you turn it on, everything lights up, and then you hear a relay click, and you get sound. Just now however, the relay didn't seem to want to click..so no sound. Now, it clicked on, and I shut the receiver off, to see if it would power up right away again...took about 2 minutes before it clicked on
confused.gif
So, now, it is working fine, and worked fine this morning, sounds okay, but took waay to long than normal to start up. The fuse is okay, and everything else is in order though.

It is very humid today (and rainy), and no A/C yet (not needed). Could the humidity be affecting the amp in some way? Never had this happen before.

Anyway...another long session of listening is looked forward too once again
600smile.gif

BTW, it is a beautiful and flawless Marantz 2230B
cool.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 7
sounds like a thermal issue. If it does eventually come up, do the relays click back on after a few hours?

Feb 25, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
sounds like a thermal issue. If it does eventually come up, do the relays click back on after a few hours?

Well, it could be that the amp likes to warm up first, although it certainly isn't cold, and has been colder and its come up fine.

If I shut it off, and turn it back on now (its been on since I made the first post in the thread) it comes back on almost instantly (the relays that is).

Feb 25, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
Well, it could be that the amp likes to warm up first, although it certainly isn't cold, and has been colder and its come up fine.

If I shut it off, and turn it back on now (its been on since I made the first post in the thread) it comes back on almost instantly (the relays that is).

probably just a fluke. I imagine the relay is connected to some kind of protection circuit be it thermal, voltage sense, error writing/reading memory, etc. keep us posted though.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Slow activation of the speaker protection Relay is a common problem in these old Receivers. The Relay is a simple R/C (Resistor capacitor) timer connected to a switching transistor. In addition another pair of transistors acts as a DC sense circuit. This circuit will activate the relay if DC in excess of 1 or 2 volts is upon the output. If when your receiver comes on you hear a loud pop in the loudspeakers or headphones and if switching on of off the Loudspeakers via the speaker switching facilities of the Receiver results in switching noise with no signal then the Amp has excessive DC on its output and is close to activating. If none of these is the case then the capacitor in the Timing circuit is defective and should be replaced. This is typically an Electrolytic type also the relay could need replacing.

Humid environments are not good places for these units the Circuit board is wood based resin and absorbs moisture as good as wood. This could affect operation. However since these units were intended for world wide distribution the circuit is overcompensated to account for these environmental extremes throughout the 3 year warranty. After that all bets are off. These units should be refurbished prior to being placed into service.
If this problem reoccurs then service is soon recommended

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Good to hear. I'll have it put in that the air conditioning be turned on, or some sort of dehumidifer brought in STAT!

Don't need my amp rotting....

It's been humid lately
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

. This is typically an Electrolytic type also the relay could need replacing.

The contacts of the relay may be pitting. The problem can be solved by dis-assembling the relay and dressing the contacts with a small file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back